Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Question on Oil filters - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Question on Oil filters

Spiggsy

Hello everyone,

A quick question on oil filters.

Having only just bought the Esprit at the end of last year and just getting her out now ... it's time for the old fluid change over ... pretty straight forward but I'm a little confused about which filters are recommended.

My main vehicle is an SVT Contour (ST Mondeo to you UK chaps) ... and I've done quite extensive testing on oil (courtesy of BlackStone Labs) and done a lot of research into filters for that application. My choice for that was a K&N filter with trusty Mobil1 ... I wet with the K&N because the flow of oil was supposedly much better than other comparable filters, and with the oil starvation problem on the 2.5 Duratecs I figured flow over filtration was a better option, but factoring in a more frequent change period.

So now I'm trying to take the same sort of factors into consideration for the Esprit (90 Turbo SE) ... but I'm struggling a little with some background information. Are there any major concerns I should factor into the equations? I pulled some VR20-50 (if memory is correct) from the local NAPA ... simply because it's on the list of recommended oils ... I will probably end up doing more testing on this too (BlackStone Labs again) ... but the filter part of this is still a mystery to me.

I pulled the spreadsheet of part x-ref's ... and assume that all filters listed there are correct for my engine ... but I would really like to find out some more info before settling on one.

Also any information specific to North America, or even better Canada would be an absolute bonus.

So ... long story short ... need more information, any and every little bit will help!

Thanks,

Christian.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an update ... I tried the K&N HP-2004 and it's leaking (more like p'ing) oil from the fit ... not sure if it's defective or what ... if there's another one available tomorrow I will try K&N again, if not I'll try one of the others.