Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Members who shouldn't be let loose with tools - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Members who shouldn't be let loose with tools

Now we take the Pi$$ out of Kimbers for his technical ability with tools and need to borrow even the most basic items.

He's been surpassed

Here's one from a fellow AEG member, so who do you think it is?

You re bearing puller is a spiteful thing! Got a blood blister on one hand coz i got it trapped between the weight and the jaws! And no sooner than i stopped swearing i got another when i trapped the other hand at the other end! The bearing itself offered very little resistance to such a heavy handed tool! The bearing puller was fairly effective too!

To that member, I couldn't reply sooner, I had to stop laughing first.

Andy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

That's got to be Simon I reckon. The only reason I say that is he's the only one at the moment with an engine in bits, and needs the occasional helping hand when it comes to mechanical stuff. I doubt it's Buddsy because he has an engineering background so would know how to use such an implement! :whistle:

Owen

:whistle: Yes 'twas me!! I wish i had gone for the grease compression technique now!!

BTW I have an engineering background Owen! I just choose to ignore it!

90 City & Guilds Part 1 in automotive engineering

91 City & Guilds Part 2 in automotive engineering

92-95 HND in automotive engineering

So there!

Edited by simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Don't worry, I replaced the porch light today, 240v, went to put the power back on to find it was already on! Next time I'll put a sign up!

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I've wiped a light socket out with a damp cloth, having had somebody turn the power off for me.

I ended up slumped in a chair a few feet behind me with a strange tingling sensation in one side of my body.

I have had 240v a couple of times!

The first instance was at the office, we have a plug socket in the floor so that we can plug the computers in, someone had stood on this particular one and broke it. I thought Health and Safety would probably have something to say about this so set about getting a metal blanking plate. I turned all the power off to the office and thought that i was safe! The only problem was this particular socket was wired up to the cellar ring main!!!

The second time was at one of my clients flats. The tenant had complained that she had no power, i checked the fuse board and it was just the trip switch, so i turned it back on! Then just as i was leaving the tenant said that one of the knobs was loose on her cooker, so with my screwdriver i undid the face plate and set about tightening the fixing bolt on the spindal. As i took the face plate of i must have inadvertantly pulled the earthwire of the stainless face plate and bang! I had forgotten that i had just turned the power back on as well!!

Needless to say i am now very wairy of anything with volts, amps, watts or ohms!!

Anyway Andy what are you doing on the computer on a day like this? Haven't you got about 3 lotus' a series one landrover, riley elf and a westfield to restore!!!!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

So true.

I got up early with good intentions of getting things done, but having been stuck in a hot car in traffic for several hours driving about Norwich I decided it was too hot to achieve anything.

Andy

Guys please be careful with mains electricity, it only take about 20/30 milliamps to kill you thats about enough current to power a fairy light , switich off at the main switch and if any doubt call an electrician, and never trust anyone else to isolate for you...do it yourself and then check it with a meter before touching

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

:( Yes 'twas me!! I wish i had gone for the grease compression technique now!!

BTW I have an engineering background Owen! I just choose to ignore it!

90 City & Guilds Part 1 in automotive engineering

91 City & Guilds Part 2 in automotive engineering

92-95 HND in automotive engineering

So there!

I stand corrected then! :rolleyes:

I see what you are doing, I've used this trick as well, plead ignorant then get someone else to do all the grafting! ie Andy and Buddsy! :cool: Only kidding! :(

What C&G do you have?

C&G mechanic = told what bit to remove, remove part, ask someone what to do next?

C&G Technician = take bit off, diagnose problem, order part, refit and test, job done!

:(

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

Owen, I see my role more as supervisory! Let the children have their fun in a safe and controlled envoironment! :devil: You are welcome to come and have a play too!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

• Gold FFM

I'm a fitter and machinist by trade, but I have quite definitely had my share of being clobbered by 240V. I now consider it to be white man's magic and won't touch it. Belts and pulleys like on the front of an engine all make fine sense as do cams and valves. Wondwerful stuff.

Flip a switch over here and a light glows over___________________________________________________here

is way too spooky for me. :devil:

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I am not clueless when it comes to cars. You can't be in the industry for so long and not learn anything. I am very good at diagnosing a car fault by driving it. But when it comes to fixing it I just can't be arsed! I used to but after welding my watch to my arm and ending up in casualty so they could romove it (and a layer or 2 of skin) I thought it better to pay a professional.

As to Electricity, the only time I attempted a fix was on an old TV. After turning off the power and removing the back I promptly poked the back with a screwdriver and flew 10 feet across the room, smelling like burned sausages. No one told me they retained the charge!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

As to Electricity, the only time I attempted a fix was on an old TV. After turning off the power and removing the back I promptly poked the back with a screwdriver and flew 10 feet across the room, smelling like burned sausages. No one told me they retained the charge!

thats capacitors for you....

we use them a lot, some items in industry need to be switched off for over an hour before you can work on them...

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

• 1 month later...

I admit I was wrong. :cheers:

In hind sight it is now clear my judgement was flawed, and i did a complete dis-service to Mr Anthony Kimberley. :thumbsup:

Or to put it another way.

We shouldn't let SimonF loose with spanners.

I am referring to the I've sheared off the stub in my turbo casting situation. :popo:

Andy- Who after having the car for approx 2 1/4 years, driving it for approx 1 3/4 years finally bothered to check out why my low level coolant warning light comes on and stays on for while, until I start moving / increasing revs. Then found out it stays on for 8 seconds as part of the start up routine programmed into the system.:welcome:

This has got to be the funniest thread I've read all month. My sides are sore from laughter! Stop! Stop! I need to come up for air!

Concerning the aforementioned "self administered" electroshock therapy, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." (or at the very least a bit more leery of actions that have the potential [electrical pun intended] to turn you into "toast") :thumbsup:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

When encountering what might be "live" mains..if you are going to touch it,do it with the back of the middle finger..then - if it is "live" - your muscles contract and take you away from the power. Doing it the other way round can result in you grabbing hold of the source and then it'll be game over. As for televisions...the cathode ray tube itself holds a massive charge, the anode connection - that rubber bit on the side which goes to the line output transformer - can give you a real belt. The trick is to discharge it to earth before you disconnect it, a couple of well insulated screwdrivers works, discharge to the metallic coating on the tube itself. They also have an ability to charge themselves up again, so even a tube you have discharged already can become a source of a shock..I should know, I've thrown one across the workshop before now, having got too close to the anode connection...!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I dont reccomend anyone touching a "live" anything, switch off at the mains first, it only takes 30mA to kill you in the right situation...and if you get on to bigger voltages as used on the grid, then you dont have to touch it at all, electricity at high voltage can jump up to 6 meters

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Well said Scott - some of us just aren't cut out for messing with oily bits. We make up for it in other ways...

Anyway, where's my Phillips screwdriver - I need to take the plugs out of Lottie...there's a gap in them that I need to hammer closed to allow the electric through properly...

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I did some work on my car this weekend. I checked the coolant level. My fingers were slightly grubby and I got a dirty shirt!

How much like a mechanic am I?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I've sheared off the stub in my turbo casting situation. <_<

You will kill yourself laughing when you find out why my turbo casting snapped!!

When tightening the bolts up, i kept starting the car up and could feel a blow coming the turbo/rxhaust flange! So i kept tightening thats fairly logical isn't it?

When i took the turbo off yesterday to give to buddsy i noticed that i had forgotten to take the old gasket off when i put the new one on Doh!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Jeeze this is a "rough crowd"! <_<

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.