Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Just bought amazing S4S - awesome paint job - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Just bought amazing S4S - awesome paint job

hotdog

You guys missed a trick when you dipped on the offer of Tim Shaws S4S.

Owned half a dozen of these in the past and this one drives like its been gone through by a race team.

Drives and steers tack sharp, stops like a V8 and well the gear change is like its not Esprit at all - 2" inch throw 4" inch wide gate.

Interior as new in blood red - paint is not to everyones liking but really goes with the overall look, oh and the rims beat the pants off even the last V8.

Just got to look up some reasonable insurance.

Regards

MG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may drive like a Veyron but if I don't like the look of it I wouldn't want it for the 50p it was supposedly sold for in urban mythology!

Glad you got a bargain anyhow, and I look forward to seeing it in it's new respray (plants seed: nice white to go with the red interior) :devil:

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I am going to detail the whole car and see what she looks like.

The lacquer coat was applied badly and although it has been flatted and mopped the gloss on the car is slightly patchy - loads better than the pic's Tim put on the car as they were pre flat and frankly the car looked matt.

My paint man reckons it has masses of depth to the lacquer so it will stand a proper flat and mop.

I do not plan to respray the car as the paint quality is the issue - that said I would have not painted it that colour.

Hopefully when its all sorted it will look as good as it drives - a very special and individual Esprit.

BTW I know it started out as a S4 but to my understanding its now at S4S spec - correct me if I am wrong.

MG

Edited by hotdog

Well done Michael - I thought the car looked 'different' and if I was in the market I wouldn't have let the history put me off.

Reason we missed a trick on here is probably 'cos we're all owners already!

The purists will probably say you can't 'improve' an S4 into an S4S - bit like me claiming Lottie to be an S370 'cos she's got an uprated engine and other mods! But the important thing is she's yours, you're delighted with her, so you can call her any damn thing you want! Enjoy!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Don't ask Glyn...please! :devil:

Everyone to their own and glad you're pleased with it Michael.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

For your delight and entertainment (and possibly amusement)...

TimShawS4.gif

Basically, it was a re-chassied car with a new nose grafted on after a bit of an interaction with the scenery. Then some bling bits were liberally scattered over the remains.

Umm, nope.....

Well its not everyones first choice of colour - apparently it was an option for late reg TVR's.

Its changes colour in different light - which sounds interesting but rarely works - this is no better than any other example on that score.

So assuming the gloss can be brought back to mirror shine then it will look bling and perhaps a little to much so for some, by definition its not for everyone, although frankly these cars are really not for shy types?

Interior is pretty much as new - total retrim in BMW blood red leather with Sport 300 buckets, ala the article on this site.

Cool ice, coolest rims I have seen on an Esprit and the negatives written about this car had me scratching my head when I saw it.

Frankly after the cobblers written by certain individuals about this car I had expected it to be a bag of bolts and nothing is further from the truth. Tim and I pretty much agreed that some armchair heroes on here need to get out more - yes that would be you Mr ........

In fact I thought much of what had been said was quite offensive. Ho hum we will all get over it.

I will post up some pics when its done and ready for showing off.... in the mean time assume its a bit like your own S4's out there - hand built and always needing something but hey we like em like that?

MG

Each to his own MG and well said.

I hope it brings you much fun and it would be good to see you and the car at some LEF/LEW events.

We really are a friendly bunch. I'm sure no one meant any ill feeling.

I see you've got an S3 turbo too. Whereabouts in the country are you?

Cheers,

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. I've seen the car in the flesh and apart form the flat laquer if you can lift it then it does look better in the flesh. Personally, I paint it black as it's the coloest colour or dark grey metallic.

I've also driven it and sat in it many times. The huge turbo that's bolted on means lots of top end power but lots of lag unfortunately. If it were mine I would change turbo for more of a compromise.

I would also fit runners to the seats which are currently bolted straight to floor.

There's a little bit of finishing off with the interior and some leather has been fitted poorly. But is this only minor work and someone who's handy would have this car looking fantastic!

Oh, needs a front spoiler lip.

If I remember rightly the doors handle on the passenger side wasn't connected to central locking or was sticking. This is because the door handles aren't the OEM ones, I think they may even be Rover ones fitted. Again a nice little project to put right in your own time.

If I think of any other little jobs that needed doing, I'll pm you rather than post on here.

I never bought it as a project but the missus would have divorced me!

I did this once before, buying an Esprit wihout telling her and the same nearly happened then.

There's lots of good extra bits on this car that would set you back quite a bit, So hopefully it's gone to a good home and keep us updated on progress and pictures.

Regards,

Dave Walters

www.espritperformance.com

ps try classicline or hegarty for your insurance. You don't need to carry your NCB as long as you have another policy with some NCB to run along side with it.

Look at www.lotusespritworld.com for recommended insurance companies.

Dave

Edited by superdavelotus

Thanks Dave

The door handles are in a box of bits, I will ask why they were binned.

I am 6' so the fixed seat is not a problem but does add to the personal thing - they are great seats when your in but you sure think about getting in and out.

Like you said a few jobs and so longer as they are more time and tinkering than wallet sapping I will enjoy.

Tim muttered about the blower T38 ? and frankly I was none the wiser, goes well but the lack of a boost guage is a worry - even my Defender 110 has one.

All Chargecooler Esprits feel quick to me and its been a couple of years since i had my High Wing SE so whether its a little slow to spool up I failed to notice - it felt engine wise the same as my SE but that was 330bhp so it was quick.

MG

Whats with all the negativity :devil:

Glad you like the car, but beware with that kinda paintwork and interior mix you're bound to get comments on it, even you said you wouldn't have painted it that way. Flips / metalics look so-so on the Esprit but due to the shape I dont think they go overly well - Steve on here has a green/bronze flip that is very subtle and works fantastic - then again the light on the photos probably doesn't do it any justice. Reminds me of the metalic purple Lotus did which looked excellent but again it was very descrete.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I will go with the paint being not for everyone but the interior is stock and trimmed in blood red leather same shade as a current BMW.

This colour option is widely specc'd and suits the car perfectly.

Now I have seen some minter S4/S and V8's but they are

Michael,

Rugby clearly qualifies as North Midlands so we expect to see you and one of your Esprits at the NMEG meets.

Check us out in the Events section.

Cheers,

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

• Gold FFM

Congrats on the new toy Michael. I was doing a bit of uming and ahing over this one about a month ago. Loved the wheels, the rear light conversion and the red trimmed interior.

As you said, the pics don't really do it justice. Would like to see the paint in the flesh.

Enjoy

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

It's just a shame the car has such an aura of stretched truths, overhyping and bulls**t about it. None of which were perpetrated it's new owner, I might add.

The whole 'Oooh, my ex sold it for 50p' cack and later whenever that car popped up for sale (3 or 4 times on an internet based auction site, despite being 'sold' each time - also on LEW etc) the adverts always smelt more fishy than Cap'n Birds Eye's underpants.

I'm surprised the previous owner actually went through with the sale this time.

So am I. When discussing the car I never actually thought it was really for sale - or at least at the asking price.

Tim was not happy to sell it - genuinely but for personal reasons he was a 'forced' seller.

The 50p thing cannot of helped nor can the mild chicanery on eBay. But I have been a seller many times and sometimes it is hard to settle on a value that is both accurate and agreeable.

I always sell cars on eBay fixed price with best offer attached. Auctions waste a lot of time and you only know what the thing will realise after the auction - sounds obvious but nearly everyone tries to snipe the goods in the last 10 secs.

I see the car as being worth when sorted a fairly straight forward

What's the 50p thing? Is this the one that was supposedly sold by some DJ's wife after he made some comments on the radio about divorcing his wife?

I really do appear to be out of touch on this 'famous' car!

I think the paintwork looks good to be honest. It's not my personal choice, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. Afterall, I think Esprits look superb in Norfolk Mustard Yellow, but I wouldn't buy one that colour.. there are just so many nice silver/grey/blacks out there.

The only problem with flip/metallics like this are if anyone bumps it in a car park. My car used to be pearl white, and trying to match the paint was impossible. You needed to know not only the original colour code, but the pressure it was sprayed at, the temperature, the direction it was sprayed, what the painter had for lunch that day.. etc.. You could get it looking perfect from one angle, then walk two feet to the left and each of the differently sprayed panels would 'flip' in opposite directions.

Deep glitters usually have so much lacquer on that you should be able to polish it ok..