Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
It just Quit! - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

It just Quit!

I have had another problem.

I was out on a nice drive close to home Sunday night when my 98Esprit just quite and wouldn't start back up again. All the interior lights, starter and fuel pumps still work but I get nothing. Lucky that I was only a couple of miles from home when it died! Once I got it home I started to investigate what had happened and found that I don't seam to have any spark! I pulled out the back left plug wire and grounded. When I turned the starter over, there was nothing. I have checked the fuses, relays and they all appear to be OK. I was under the car and the pickup on the crank has some oil on it. Could the pickup be bad? How do I check the Coils?

Help me please!! I already miss the car.

Scott

I have next to zero knowledge of the later cars - but is there an inertia cut off switch somewhere?

My old 827 Rover broke down similar stylee and resetting the switch cured it.

Hmmm - mind ewe - that would cut the fuel pump...

Iain

Edited by Iain

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' and 1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 286,000 miles and counting!

Sounds like it could be the crank sensor if the car is still turning over.

The ECU will check for crank reference as part of the start-up routine.

Coil packs don

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

It is not a switch, it is an inductive signal generator :baby:

Have a quick read of this - you should be able to check if the sensor is working:

Crank Sensor info

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Crank sensor went on my 2000my V8-GT. Like your car, mine refused to start. The part itself was

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

It must be going around! My pick up got fried last week by my ignition coil going bad. When I opened up the electrical box, the coil was so hot I could not touch it. I replaced the bad hall effect coil in the DM45 dist until four years ago with the very reliable Pertronix pick up - and as stated - the coil fried it! Litereally. As far as I know, there is no real definative way to 'check' a coil or coil pack (on the newer models). the coil on the older cars get really really hot when bad...

Hope to be running soon...

Cameron

Edited by Autocross7

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Well I don't think that the crank sensor is the problem. I pulled it out yesterday and measured the resistance at 640ohms and when I moved a magnet in front of it I was able to get a small AC voltage, mV but a voltage. I guess the next thing to look at are the coils packs unless someone else can give me another suggestion?

Scott

Hmmmmm

When you try and start - is there really not catching at all?

It would be one heck of a coincedence for both coil packs to die at the same time.

Is there someone local who you lend you their ECU, to do a quick check? Getting at the coil packs is not a problem, but if they are fine, it would save disturbing the plenum.

I would need to have a V8 ECU correct. There are not many around here, at least that are in the local club. On a side note, when I had the Starter out last year, I had notice that there were some splicing of wires under the plenum. If one of those wires were the main power to the coils, it could have failed.

How likely is it for the ECU to fail and not take anything else? The starter turns over, the lights come on, radio, ect all seams to work. When I first attempted to restart, after a few minutes of trying checking then trying again, I thought it fired once, but only like one time on one cylinder it think.

Is there a way to see if the ECU is sending a signal to the coils directly?

Scott

Have you also checked the connection of the camshaft sensor (rear of the RH cylinder head)?

I can

Edited by mike_sekinger

Well I pulled the Cam sensor out last night and it appears to be BAD. I measure it the same way as the Crank sensor, but this sensor had three leads. I got an open circuit on all but one of the two leads combinations and on this one it sometimes measured 25meg ohms and at other times nothing. When I passed a magnet across the front, I got nothing for an AC signal. If this sensor is supposed to read that same as the other one then it's probably bad or at least intermittent.

What do you think??

Scott

The cam sensor is also a magnetic sensor, but I think that the way you test it is different. I assume that it needs a power source and generates a square wave based on the intereference of the sector disc on the camshaft. I

• Gold FFM

"... sensor is kaputt ...." Mike , you're stayed just to long over here :whistle:

OK, back to topic: all spark plugs connected with the ignition wires, than one after an other held to ground (by hand) and an other person trys to start (with the relays for fuel pump pulled out!). Is there really no spark ?!

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I do have a way to measure the codes. The only ones that appear are P0447, P0420, and P0430. The last two are for a O2 sensor efficiency of the catalyst, one for the left, the other for the right bank.

As for the Cam sensor, it appears to be an open circuit when I check the leads. You would need to have some kind of connection inside to develop a signal, a way to return to ground or something, correct?

Thanks for all the suggestions, but Saturday night I found the problem! :respect: It ended up being a security system problem. One of the other owners had spliced a wire and that wire had come undone, so it wasn't even the engine that was the problem.

Thanks all again!!

Scott

Glad that to tracked down the problem and didn

I don't know that I can say that it was fun going through all that wiring but you do learn a lot while being forced into finding a fault. I really hate to be without my Esprit and that's what is frustrating. I it is fun once you find that problem and you hear her come to life once again!!

Scott

Thats very interesting reading, one I shall remember if the fault ocrurs on mine.hopefully not.

My horn started to go off the other day,just driving in some in traffic.hit the knob a couple of times and its cured it,electrics....hate em.

GC1

• 8 years later...

I have 1998 new to me that I just brought home. It was running perfect and had it state inspected to get my tags. All that was needed was a drive / serpentine belt. Took the car out of my garage to make sure I had the correct belt. Backed it up and when I went forward car died and refused to start. Have checked all the obvious  fuses and relays best I can. Car cranks and turns over, but I don't think it is getting gas or spark. The alarm on this car was bypassed by a previous owner so all I have is the ignition key. It always started and I have had the battery in and out a few times as the car was in storage . ....until I could break the purchase news to my wife.

Checked the inertia  switch also and seemed that the button  or p luger on top was down and did not move. I assume it should be down versus up. Can the ignition relay in the front fuse box be checked with a dvm. All light come on no codes really. I tested for codes when it stopped and it did have a new code, it was a pre cat o2 sensor on bank 1. Looking from the rear of the car is bank one the right side?

Thanks

Mark

We can.  When I backed out of my garage it dragged a carpet out that was on the floor to catch drips etc. softer on feet....  So it was balled up not real tight but under the car.  I pulled it out and looked everything and didnt see anything obvious.  Could just be a coincidence, but once I threw up my hands I took it to a local guys good with Audi Bmw VW etc.  They were stumped as I thought in the beginning it might be the crank sensor........but the tach was jumping around.  I stoppped in this morning and they verified fuel pressure and pulled a plug and saw no spark.  they ended up back probing the crank sensor as they had some other diagnostic stuff on it and they said they got nothing so they are leaning toward the crank sensor.  They havent seen any Lotus'es so yes I was worried a bit but we will put in the sensor and a new serpentine belt at the same time and will keep my fingers crossed a bit.  My best friends 20 year old said...........Uncle Mark..................that is a Bad A** car!!!

Check the cam sensor...

The crank AND the cam sensor must rotate for the engine to fire.  If your crank sensor is working, then check the cam sensor, but if the cam sensor is not turning, than that may mean that timing belt is also not moving!   Which could mean engine damage.

I would remove the belt covers and take a look. 

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Motor turns over fine and there is compression  with no abnormal noise and never was. I would think if the belt broke we would have heard a collision even at cranking speeds. I agree and am leaning towards crank sensor versus cam sensor. Will possibly  know something hopefully by Wednesday.