Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Modified front brakes - help? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Modified front brakes - help?

Hi Gang,

When I bought Lottie back from Gavin 2 years ago he told me he'd beefed up the front brakes. I need to sort a couple of problems and wonder if anyone knows exactly what he did (I've tried to contact him but with no response)? I THINK he said he'd fitted V8 calipers (big black Brembos) and discs from an Audi S4...but my memory for detail is suspect at best.

I'm getting lots of vibration under heavy braking, and suspect the discs are warped, but don't think there's anywhere locally I could get them ground (I remember a thread on here that sticking them on a lathe ISN'T the way to get them trued).

I really ought to take some pictures - but wondered if anyone remembers what he did at the time (probably 4-5 years ago).

Cheers

Stu

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to identify the brakes, take some measurements and us this Brembo site to identify them

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/catalogo_AM/2008/index.html search by dimension, then just select a couple of criteria (say 5 holes and 310mm) then see what you get.

yes a lathe is not the way to go, you can have them turned on the car using a brake grinder, but cost can be as much as new discs in some cases, I doubt it for large ones, but still may be half the cost and you still end up with a disc that's not as thick as it was originally.

Andy

I've had lots of discs successfully done on a lathe. My machinist takes his time and sets them up very precisely checking runout before he starts machining. He will also set up with discs attached to the hubs and bearing inner cones fitted which I prefer.

DanR

Thanks chaps - all input an empirical data welcomed!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Stu,

I have the big ass V8 Brembo's up front on my red beast and the discs are quite cheap from EBC. Slotted and drilled but i believe there other options. Not my first choice initially but i'm quite happy so far although the stgae 2 Turbo is only just being run in...But the brakes are as beefy as i need just now.

I have redstuff pads with this set up but being a fussy braker i don't know how long this will last - Pagid blues up the rear with Elise Brembo set up - very nice set up.

I'd just go for the new discs from EBC cheap enough and useful enough if you aren't tracking regularly and a definite option with yellowstuff pads for the odd track day i reckons.

Good Luck,

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

I have set mine up with Brembos and EBC turbo groove. Yellow stuff pads. Not yet fully bedded in but im happy with the results over the awful bendix set up.

13062008826.jpg

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I can't remember exactly what he had or if they were off a v8.

It might be worth dropping gary kemp an email as he might just remember. He did alot on the car with gav.

I do recall him geting the discs done though.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I have set mine up with Brembos and EBC turbo groove. Yellow stuff pads. Not yet fully bedded in but im happy with the results over the awful bendix set up.

13062008826.jpg

Hi,

Paul, did you paint the calipers red or did they come red? It's basically the same set up I have on the GT3, but my calipers are black, but I would like to paint them black again to make them look clean again. Also I'm going to have to check my discs, I get awful brake vibration under heavy braking, I was told it was the ABS, but I'm having doubts now and think it might be discs. I have a dial gauge so will check the discs for warping.

Owen.

Cant see the abs will cause wobble - best to renew the frictional material if in doubt.

Heard conflicting reports on lathes as well - mate of mine is a clock maker, he also does cars and reckons a lathe is more than suitable for skimming discs if done correctly with the right cutter and feed.

MUST get around to sorting my brakes out.....

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Owen. They were black originally and in awful condition as I bought them second hand. They are painted with a VHT white undercoat, followed by a standard primer filler. They were then sprayed with Hammerite smooth Red. The Brembo decals were the applied and finished with a VHT clear laquer.

I then cooked them progressively in the oven for about 2.0 hours to cure them. Took quite a while in all, but I am pleased with the results.

I love the APs Graham and was going to go that route, but they do not fit with the OZ futura wheel according to Dave Massey at Lotus technical.

Edited by rocket63

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Call that a knife? Now, that's a knife!

biggrin.gif

Reduced: 80% of original size [ 640 x 480 ] - Click to view full image

I'm wet!

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Call that a knife? Now, that's a knife!

:(

brakes_001.jpg

Sorry sunshine, mines bigger than yours :o

f_APBRAKECOMPm_55edf44.jpg

f_Frontbrakesm_4557629.jpg

;)

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I also have the brembos and pagid blue pads but still find they feel really wooden? not much bite or feel? any ideas what could cause this? Vaccume pump, servo??????

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

;)

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Well I've got a brand of pads I doubt anybody else is using on their Esprit, Prodrive.

That's because I've got an unusual calliper brand fitted, with only 309mm discs, it still stops really fast, a biker friend came out for a run and thought it sheds speed faster than his bike. I doubt it does, but it's still impressive.

So it's not how big it is, it's what you do with it.

Well switched to the Ap setup as well, but with Ferodo DS11-1 pads ( similar to the Pagid RS15 )

Have not driven the car yet, but will post thursday.....

PS will have my Brembos ( with green stuff and turbo groove disks) up for grabs ( they got 12000 KM on them )

Edited by esprits4de

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Hi,

With all this talk about pads and disc's I finally came to the conclusion that my front disc's are shot, I got another mechanic friend at my works to test drive the car today and he confirmed my suspicions. We think the webbing in the disc centre has cracked in some places causing the disc to create high spots, so as you brake the pedal creates a pumping action as it tries to compress the gap and high spot, also you can feel high spots on the disc from the outside.

So I now need to sort my disc's out, but unsure what to do as my budget at present isn't loads, so silly upgrades are out. I tried to call SJ today, but all I got was an answering machine telling me to call back later, after about 5 calls I over several hours I gave up, so don't know whats happening there. I was going to enquire about their upgrade kit and cost as I want to keep my GT3 Brembo brakes.I also looked at the Esprit performance ones, again might be to expensive for me at present, I think the big upgrades will be when everything is done and I just change things for the hell of it, not because they are broken.

Any recommendations around the

Has to be EBC.

They're not amazing but for the price you can't go wrong - had them on the Elise and both the Esprits, for road use they are perfect.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Has to be EBC.

They're not amazing but for the price you can't go wrong - had them on the Elise and both the Esprits, for road use they are perfect.

More info Jonathan please, EBC? ;)

I just looked up the EBC sites, SJ is quoting cheaper than they are.

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3

brakes_001.jpg

The thing that Stu read about not having them turned on a lathe was from me.

If you look at the image above there is a cross check pattern made by intersecting circles. This is the pattern made by Blanchard grinding. Blanchard grinding will leave a harder more consistent friction surface that will last longer stop better, and will not be as prone to "warping".

Turning on a standard lathe will create a spiral groove like a vinyl record. The groove will not get as hot as the peaks, which causes wear issues and heat problems in the metal. With proper technique and cutter, a machinist could minimize the peaks and valleys, but the friction surface won't be as good as from grinding.

Blanchard grinding is also a better way of making sure that the two surfaces are still parallel, something tat is not as easy on a large lathe.

The other issue is the "warping", which is usually pad material buildup from stopping with hot pads, they tend to fuse to one area. and then you get more buildup in that same spot over time. It is sometimes possible to re-bed in the pads, or switch to cleaning pads for a short time to clean this material off without removing any material from the rother, which would make it thinner and more prone to "warping" or other future heat issues.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

I have been able to cure "warped" brake rotors by re-bedding the break pads and cleaning this material off.

1st resort = re-bed pads (may also need new pads)

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedincontents.shtml

2nd to last resort=ceramic cleaner pads for a short distance.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_padremoval.shtml

last resort = grinding

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE