Speedometer help

Stockcar44

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is up the shitter as well i am doing 170 out of the driveway so i'd be interested in your results.

I thought they were going cheap in the parts sale bonanza but could be wrong???

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

You can get them repaired. Google search for speedo repairs, and you can get them fixed. I think VDO will actually do them for you.

Or, you can fit an electronic one. I did this fairly easily by getting a Brantz universal speed sender that fits on your speedo inner cable. I just cut the speedo cable right down about 2" long, and fitted the brantz sender to the stub that was left. it's then just a bit of wiring you need to do to get 12v and an earth to the sender when the ignition is on (easy to find an ignition feed in the rear coil box.. and it's right above the gearbox) then just run the 'pulse' wire into the cabin for the electronic speedo.

You'll need to calibrate an electronic speedo. But if you have a GPS you can borrow, it's fairly straightforward.

For info, speedos generally run 5% over. That is, when you think you're doing 100, you're actually doing 95. They do this to allow for tolerances in manufacturing. It's better to think you're going faster than you really are, than think you are going slower than you really are.

Kato also fitted an electronic speedo, but he fitted a hall effect sensor on his driveshaft to achieve the speed pulse.

Thanks for the responses. The link nodemgr refers to is a 3 3/8 inch 160 mph which I like the looks of; not too far off the original. But it's 2/8 too big and no one makes a 160 in 3 1/8. I guess I could hog-out some dash material (ouch) and stuff it in but the sound of that idea hurts. It's only an 1/8 inch on all sides, um maybe. either way thanks for the update on the electronic idea. I tried VDO's website but it was impossible to get repair information. I'll check out JDO. Thanks.

Any solution will be updated here.