Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup - Page 12 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup

cheers to that! I can't wait to get it back in..

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... Since I had the engine on the floor, I thought I would check the clutch and flywheel... and.. well.. it's in need. Not shocking really, as most of the Esprit V8 twin plate clutches don't tend to last longer than 20,000 miles.

cac1cfc6.jpg

The clutch isn't quite down to the rivets... but it's close enough to call it.

Then I decided that since the bottom end bearings are known to not be able to handle a whole lot of horsepower, and we plan to put some down... I thought I would check them out and replace them with higher grade bearings... so here goes the process:

Here's the engine on the stand.

cdb783de.jpg

Here's the oil pan removed and the rod bearings removed..

340ce41b.jpg

Here's the main bearings removed...

ec82ea85.jpg

Here's the front cover removed to expose the intermediate shaft.

9dc67aa6.jpg

The intermediate shaft removed..

600fe267.jpg

And... since you have all seen the plenum removed before etc.. I skipped a few pictures.. here's the cams removed so we can also find which lifter is sticking...

8a33546f.jpg

So.. now I have a nearly completely disassembled engine... lol...

Sorry about that last blurry picture.. here's an actual shot of the cams out...

a6e70dff.jpg

Here's the crankshaft and the end caps etc...

9a2f9cf2.jpg

Here's the Cams and the front cover plate as well as the intermediate shaft.

3680a219.jpg

Here's the best bearing I could find...

c558e346.jpg

And here's the engine covered up... nighty night... lol

dc748cff.jpg

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• Gold FFM

:hrhr:

While you're doing that oil line, why not just pull your entire engine apart?

Ah well, at least you know it'll be right when it goes back in.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Bahahahaha! True.. does seem a bit much.. but I was planning on doing the bearings this winter anyway.. and the clutch.. I don't know that it would have lasted much more than another month

• Gold FFM

I'm quite sure that if you look closely enough, you'll be able to find a whole heap of other stuff to undo.

What about the gearbox? Gotta have a reason to pull it apart surely. Here, let me suggest some.

The obvious:

Well the engines out of the way, so why not?

The box is out of the car and we're pumping up the HP so let's beef up the input shaft.

The less obvious: (like oil line causes engine rebuild)

Darn, this door switch isn't turning the interior light on. Let's rebuild the gearbox!

The rubber strap that holds the jack in is missing, let's do the diff!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

BAHAHHAHAHAH... Funnily enough.. the gearbox is already upgraded, and so is the diff... oh well.. what will I do with all my spare time now?? lol... as if I have any of that..

• Gold FFM

Well the diff's done and we're nearly through the engine rebuild and clutch replacement, let's see what we can do to SWMBO's car?

Hehehe.. The GTI... it does need to have it's summer rims put on... maybe I'll chip it and put a K04 turbo upgrade into it... lol!

Hey, hey, hey! Back to my car! lol - but have you found the sticky lifter yet?

Yes, it's a good way to see the whole interior workings of the engine, but like Mark said - there's not a lot more to do to it. Still can't wait for it to all go together, and give it a dyno run, to document where we're at. (And when I say "we", I mean Mark .... ! )

• Gold FFM

For cryin' out loud John, it's not all about you all the time. There is lots of stuff to be had apart.

Stop thinkin' about you all the time.

I don't know. You young folk! It's always me, me, me! :harhar:

I love you man - I haven't been called a "young folk" in decades!

lol.

:cheers:

• Gold FFM

You're welcome. Send money.

Lol.. somebody has to take the pictures. :)

• 1 month later...

Okay, so here's a progress update: Basically, I replaced all the bottom end bearings and gaskets, had a tool made up to set the timing chain tension, plastiguaged everything, re-assembled and installed the engine. Here's a very brief photo/video list:

bottom end assembly:

5d0cd175.jpg

Engine ready to go in:

c8b12bf8.jpg

Engine landed on the mounts...

2372b753.jpg

Harness partially routed:

b3794cea.jpg

Transmission in:

471858f9.jpg

Intercoolers in:

5c3ece68.jpg

Ready to rock!

e4b0ecc2.jpg

And.. here's a clip of it running (don't worry.. i warmed it up for a long time and then checked for leaks etc.. before I gave it a couple of shots of gas.)

th_f9e36117.jpg

Ah, it's been a long haul, eh buddy? The engine is looking and sounding good. Can't wait to be driving it again!

I need to leave a very special and enormous thank-you to Bibs for acquiring the clutch slider bolts for me in 24 hours. I can't thank you enough Bibs!!!!

So... The results from the dyno are basically this (from stock 295 ft-lbs of torques and 350hp): 430 ft lbs of torque and 430hp (actually it was 428). The car produces over 400 ft-lbs from 3500 rpm to 5800 rpm, and the hp is over 400 from about 5000rpm to about 6200rpm. I did some testing yesterday in +35 celsius weather and with a limited slip diff and 295 wide tires... the car breaks loose in second gear and fish-tails a bit as it struggles for traction. The Intake Air Temps on the dyno never exceeded 58 degrees under load, so the intercooler efficiency is perfect. The car actually pegged the dyno on one run -- 450 ft lbs of torque, but we dialed back the boost a bit so that we didn't deliver that much again. I will post the dyno sheet and the video of the pull when I receive them.

Nice figures there Mark.

The very best part is that your power and torque will be available all of the time and not just under the most favourable of conditions.

Well done. :cheers:

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Thanks Mike!!! It certainly does always have power.. I still cant get over the boat load of torque... it's a lot of fun!

Okay.. here's a picture of the dyno screen.. fairly blurry, but you can decipher what you need to. I am still awaiting the arrival of the original .pdf or whatever they use to show the graph.

5ef32f94.jpg

Looks really good! Now if all the other Lotus shortcomings can be resolved with the intercooler...... :smoke:

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

Actually, we don't seem to have much left on the list of "shortcomings" .......

Here's one of the dyno pull videos..

th_968166A5-8FE3-4E72-AFD9-EFE2199C8285-45267-00003766B84C92A9.jpg