Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
way to remove engine from the chassi - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

way to remove engine from the chassi

PHILDUFOUR

Hello

I would like to remove my engine and transmission from the chassis

I have some questions

first

DO you know the fixings area to support the weight of the engine and gear box

second point

my car is in my garage and what sort of material i need to move up in safety conditions ?

Sorrey for my English

AND thanks you for your help

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For your first time I'd recommend separating and taking out the gearbox first. It can even be done singlehandedly without a hoist by threading it under the rear of the car. Just stradle the box, pull it off the engine and pass it down. Fit a bar under the sump to support the engine while you do this.

I suggest this because taking the engine and box out through the top can be quite awkward and without much room. Doing so with just the engine is a lot easier because you have more swinging room and therefore less likely to damage your paint.

Ive done it both ways and now prefer to remove and refit them separately.

DanR

I guess it's all just a matter of opinion. I've pulled several 910 engines and would much rather pull the whole lump. I just throw a protective blanket on the roof and rear transom and haven't scratched any paint......yet.

1995 S4s

I also manage taking out the engine on it's own without removing the hatch. If some extra clearance is required I disconnect the struts to set the hatch that little bit higher.

DanR

You will need a long reach hoist - it is possible without, but much riskier as you are unable to lift vertically.

If you are in a garage, make sure you have enough headroom to lift the engine/box and clear the bodywork. (If you have the weather!?) I much prefer to work outside, as the light, access and headroom are not constraints.

Personally, I always prefer to remove the engine & box together. I also prefer to remove the hatch, Again, I simply use the crane to do this.

I'm interested in Vulcan Grey's photos, as there is no way I can lift at that angle on the S3, I need the gearbox tilted about 30 degrees downwards.

I sling under the gearbox, a shackle through the aircon brackets and through the exhaust manifold to the engine mount. Whether or not that is recommended, I dont know. But it works for me and I dont have/use a load leveller.

I have removed my engine 4 times single handed without any problems.

cheers Steve

It was close getting it out level, but then the Stevens Esprit has a rear access panel above the transmission rear cover. You remove that and then you have more room to remove the transmission.

In my case the ceiling was too low with the garage door open, but I didn't have enough room to work the hoist with the door closed, so I had to compromise and then once the engine was up as high as it could go I used the jack supporting the rear of the car, and the front wheels were on dollies, so I lowered the car and rooled it out from under the engine. I then swung the engine 90 deg to the side.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE