Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
places to electronically monitor gear position - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

places to electronically monitor gear position

Guest teigan

i've acquired the correct sized LCD panel to replace the lotus installed clock. apart from passengers watching television/maps on it, i want to display the current gear position. the reverse gear has an electronic switch, but where is a good place to locate switches to accurately know when the other gears are engaged?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use 4 microswitches to detect the motion of the gearstick.

eg Forward #1 switch, central 1 & 2 switches off, rearward #2 switch

left #3 switch, central 3 & 4 switches off, right #4 switch on

Feed switches to microcontroller which can work out what gear is selected from switch combination and also drive the LCD screen.

Could use microchip 16f84 or Basic stamp

thanks for the input. already have the pic controller and serial interface ready. considered the gear stick option, but tripping the microswitches accurately and consistently would not be possible, even with an individual levered switch at the 6 possible corners. mounting the switches on the stick would be worse, giving false readings more often than not. lever motion would be more dependable. best location is the question.

You could use a ceiling-mounted CCD camera which will monitor position and movement of the gearstick. A complex computer programme, as used in automated industrial assembly lines could translate the video images to the different gears, which could be displayed on your TFT??

Goddammit! If you want to know which gear you are in, look on the gearlever - 'because I can...' does not count here <_<

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

They tend to scream at ~ 120mph, but they get very quiet at 155mph...

Ciao,

JB

Ahh, c'mon Teigan - we all have seen the 2 sexy Ladies in their Countach in 'Cannonball Run'... :D

Ciao,

JB

because i can

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure?

You could take a tacho signal and wheel/car speed signal to a microprocessor and calculate the overal gear ratio and work it out from that ( as long as the clutch is engaged).

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

i like that. optical would be slicker, apart from the pain of keeping it clean. i guess the plan would be to first have someone observe the linkages when i'm in the car shifting.

that method would be prone to error by 1 gear.  i will be saving tach data though, which will be downloadable from the serial interface.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can assure you, from experience, it would not.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Tiegan, I assume your car is missing its original wooden shift knob which has a small cast metal diagram of gear positions on it. :)

This is where the gears are:-

1 3 5

2 4 R

Memorise this chart and in time you will master the technique :):):)

SUNP0003-1.jpg

can you explain why you think that monitoring speed&rpm won't work ...

post-62-1130930222.gif

Clearly I have too much time on my hands, but i had some rpm-speed data from my car sitting on my desktop (sorry Kato - I've still got to finish writing the review...), so i plotted this graph in excel of speed/rpm against time. Looks pretty good to me, you can see all 5 gears clearly!

just my thoughts....

Will

'99 Sport 350

can you explain why you think that monitoring speed&rpm won't work ...

post-62-1130930222.gif

Clearly I have too much time on my hands, but i had some rpm-speed data from my car sitting on my desktop (sorry Kato - I've still got to finish writing the review...), so i plotted this graph in excel of speed/rpm against time. Looks pretty good to me, you can see all 5 gears clearly!

just my thoughts....

Will

'99 Sport 350

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry - might have missed this - but where did you get the speed data from? Tach I guess is inductive from the spark plug leads or directly from the coil, but speed - do you have something on the gearbox speedo output? (an optical sensor or something)??

i think all the cars with computers use speedo and tach data to help regulate other functions. never got to look at a car with an electronic gear position indicator to see how it was calculated. on a normal shift sequence from zero, the delineations would be clear, but downshifting for turns or driving low gear downhill would confuse the equation.

i think all the cars with computers use speedo and tach data to help regulate other functions.  never got to look at a car with an electronic  gear position indicator to see how it was calculated.  on a normal shift sequence from zero, the delineations would be clear, but downshifting for turns or driving low gear downhill would confuse the equation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my rally (that's 'pro-rally' for the Seppos) car, I have an aftermarket computer (Autronic SM2) that uses this basic algorithm to calculate what gear you are in (that is by comparing engine revs to tailshaft speed), and it works very successfully for those that have used it. I haven't set it up myself, though. In fact I haven't even bothered to connect a tacho or shift light as they're not really necessary.