Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Artie's Engine - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Artie's Engine

Artie

Well, I don't have pics yet, :D but all of the major assemblies and parts have finally come in and all I can say is WOOHOO!!!! The shop called me today to inform me that they installed the piston rings on the pistons, rods and wrist pins are installed and the pistons are in the liners. he was going to put the crankshaft in today, but I forgot to order the thrust washers and the front and rear main seals so I had those overnighted from JAE< Thank God for Jeff! You rock man!!!! and I will get some snapshots of that tomorrow along with the pistons etc! We may finally have a working engine before too long my friends!!!! Pics to come, stay tuned! I know it's been a long wait!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Art,

Glad to see such a great looking esprit will be hitting the road again soon,

Seems ages mate since the engine came out but at least its nearly done,

Good luck with the remainder of the build and hope it all goes well :D

Regards danny

A

Danny,

Thanks Mate! The progress had been slowed by sending the engine off to Michael's Motorsports which the motor sat untouched for the better part of 3 months! Anyway, I have some pictures but the X has the SD card reader so I'll need to go get a new one today. I'll have more pics tonight and will post what I've got!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Well, Okay, here are some photos of the build so far. The last two days have been fever pitch. Dan(my builder) got the crank with new .0010 shells for the mains. Crank thrust set and main bearing/girdle torqued and set. He also assembled the piston/rod assy's and degreased and cleaned the freshly re-Nikasiled liners for installation.

enginerebuild1108025ro3.th.jpgthpix.gifi

enginerebuild1108023ti7.jpg

w320.png

enginerebuild1108027fx9.th.jpgthpix.gif

Today Dan, got a huge amount done! He got the pistons and liners in(although I was working so I missed the installation), head gasket and head on and torqued. Front pulley and water pump on and some accessory brackets for the A/C and Vacuum pump. I need a new oil pump shaft, oil pump pickup tube and basket and a new olive to install the pickup with and we should be able to bolt the rest of the engine together by next week! Hopefully Jeff gets these other bits in the next few days after the Holiday! WOOHOO!

enginerebuild1108019cz0.jpg

w320.png

enginerebuild1108020uc0.jpg

w320.png

enginerebuild1108021qk1.jpg

w320.png

Hopefully I'll have the beast back up and running by XMAS!!!!!

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Good stuff Artie.

Great that you

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Mike,

Thanks mate! The progress is still too slow for me, wish I had more detailed pictures like yours but someone's got to work to pay for all of this stuff! Hopefully we'll both be motoring soon! I've been watching your rebuild, just wish mine had 4 more cylinders like yours!!!!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Freek! Thanks dude! Yeah right! I'm hoping to have the remaining parts by the end of next week and have the engine done by the following week! I'm very excited to get it all back together!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Great to see the progress man!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :whistle:

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

No, should I get a new one? Jeff didn't mention the need to do this. Crap!

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Jeff rebuilds them for fairly cheap... or you can buy the rebuild kit.. but be careful, there are two different kinds of water pumps for the engine (it's a matter of a slight change in bearing size)

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Cheap is relative at this point! I'll check with him tomorrow to see if I should replace it before I put the motor back in. Shouldn't be long now!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Yes Russ,

The new cam is installed and all exhaust and intake valves are shimmed and specked. We are waiting on the oil pump basket and the oil pump shaft from JAE, which according to Jeff at JAE we should get them by Wednesday of this next week. If that is the case, then we should have the engine back home by Friday!!!!! Fingers crossed!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Okay,

The cam boxes are on, new inlet cam installed and everything shimmed and set. We are waiting on the oil pump pickup tube and basket, and the oil pump jack shaft and she'll be back together! Hopefully by end of this week. Here's some of the latest pics.

Artie

enginerebuild1108033hb0.jpg

w320.png

enginerebuild1108031jm7.jpg

w240.png

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Okay! Well, the oil pump shaft and the oil pump pickup tube and basket have arrived. My builder will put the oil pump together monday and should have the engine done! Tuesday seems the day my babies engine will be ready to bring home! I will post lots of pics on the joyous occassion. Then be prepared for an in depth reinstall documentation!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

She's Home! Sorry it's blurry, it's 7 degrees F. today! BRRr

engineinstallesprit004bk3.jpg

w1200.png

Here she is ready for pickup! All done, finally-6months for this!

engineinstallesprit003yl7.jpg

w1200.png

Chassis all clean and engine bay awaiting the new arrival!

engineinstallesprit006du2.jpg

w1200.png

Okay, putting some of the sensors on, knock sensor, oil pressure sending unit and the turbo oil feed line installed.

engineinstallesprit007dv1.jpg

w1600.png

Exhaust manifold, 2200degree satin black powdercoating-ready to install!

engineinstallesprit008rh8.jpg

w1600.png

engineinstallesprit009ax6.jpg

w1600.png

More pics to follow!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Looking great, and very happy for you Artie !

Excellent stuff Artie.

You

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

John,

Thanks! I'm now slowed up waiting for a new set of hoses from JAE. I will replace all the old rubber hoses with molded silicone reinforces hoses. I am hopeful I'll have her sitting in the chassis before xmas!

Mike,

Wish I could have done the build myself, don't have the know how or expertise like you do! Would have been nice to know how to build the engines! I can do anything but build the engines and trans', I leave that to the experts!!!!

Artie

Ceramic coated high lustre aluminum intake manifold with air fittings and IAC installed and Water temp sensor.

engineinstallesprit014pm5.jpg

w1600.png

Vacuum Pump installed

engineinstallesprit012wb9.jpg

w1600.png

New Lightweight flywheel S4s style, ready for my S4s clutch! Stretched a bolt so that's why one is missing. New one is on it's way! This is the JAE flywheel-Very nice piece!

engineinstallesprit011ju7.jpg

w1200.png

Close up of the timing markings on the flywheel, I painted the lines and numbers to show up better later on for easier reading when changing the timing belt.

engineinstallesprit013oz3.jpg

w1600.png

That's all for today. I plan on putting the thermostat housing on tomorrow, along with some other odds and ends. I'm kind of slowed while waiting for the new JAE silicone hose kit for the engine coolant hoses and the new flywheel bolt. I will get these things Thursday. More pics to follow! Thanks for your patience fellas!! WooHoo!

Artie

...and I'll be compiling all of my receipts and parts needed to do a 4 cylinder build writeup. To do these engines right, it's not cheap! At this point I have well over 10K US in the parts and engine labor. Not including the shipping charges! Although I wasn't planning on such an extensive or expensive build, I think it will be well worth it.

I will video the maiden start and voyage for the whole Esprit community to see!

You guys have been a huge inspiration to me! Many of you may not know but, this last year has been wrought with pain and heartache for me and my family as my wife of 12 years left me and my kids! Mainly because of my car ADDICTION! I have tried to immerse myself in other things and almost sold both of my cars for her. Once I realized she was gone for real, I acquiesed to MY desires and kept my cars, and decided to start the engine build in earnest. Thank you guys, you've been a tremendous group of friends and I am endebted to you all for your dedication to these wonderful cars! Thanks!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

YAY ARTIE!!!! Great to see such progress after such a year!