Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
no heat, loosing coolant - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

no heat, loosing coolant

chris s

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Are you absolutely sure there's no coolant loss - even as steam when hot?

Could be as simple as a weak header tank cap.

OR - fill the coolant system, run the car and bleed the system. Can you get all the air out? If not, this could be evidence of a breach between cooling jacket and cylinder(s). Compression and coolant could pass both ways depending on engine temp. This will also be evidenced by poor heater and incorrect temp gauge reading.

OR - as Andy says - water pump. But you'd still get escape, at least as steam! Check flow through the header tank with engine running. Also check for bubbles through the tank on throttling.

Good luck!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Whoops - should have explained better. He's noticing loss of coolant, but no evidence of escape, if I understand correctly. So in my book that's gotta be steam - whichever route it finds...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

check the cap on the header tank mine was not locked down correctly and therefore lossing coolant.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Just got mine back from the factory as it had the same problem, the expansion tank was always empty even after a run and the header tank was loosing coolant too. Touch wood it seems to have been cured with a new header tank cap :rant:

I had a similar problem when I first got my Esprit,on close investigation the top of the expansion tank where it attaches to the main body had a pin hole leak on the joint obviously only visible at running temperatures,quickly cured with a bit of brazing.

Cheers Paul.