Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
gearbox rebuild - Page 3 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

gearbox rebuild

Hi guys,

now, really I can put the final word on the topic.

Bellhousing mounted, re-checked all the bolts/torque setting and stop!!

Just some pics of the finished gearbox, is really a shame not to have a chassis to mount on... :)

Ciao

Giorgio

DSC00021-1.jpg

DSC00025.jpgDSC00020-1.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Georgio

Fantastic work and if you need a chassis to mount it on i have one in my car since my gearbox is currently going no where!! I have also been told the input shaft has damaged the crank so it looks like the bottom end needs to come apart as well.

Hi Wayne,

thanks.

A very good upgrade is to convert your spigot bearing to a ball bearing.

Seeing that your engine needs to be rebuilt it's a great modification.

If you need all the infos about that just let me know, other way buy the improved circlip from Harry Martens (Ds vitesse) and fit also the SJ spigot bush spacer on the crank before the bearing.

If you need to buy a new input shaft, don't buy the lotus one as the part supplied will be the later type (turbo C35) and the matchining of the splines is not good to retain the circlip once fitted.

Buy from Harry or try to locate the early type of shaft.

Ciao

Giorgio

• 2 months later...

Tried to find what was damaged, but must have missed it. Wondering if the trans and differential share the same gear oil? Some have sulfur in them that protects the gears, but if it gets too hot can corrode yellow metal like syncros, and wonder if that could have caused the problem-s?

• 2 months later...

I'll be pulling out my C35 gearbox tomorrow. The car is on stands (to allow access for some other work) and when I ran it through its gears I found that I have some rumbling in 4th and 5th gears. Hopefully it will only be a couple of bearings needing changed since the rest of the gears and syncros work fine. Wish me luck :rolleyes:

This thread will be a lot of help, thank you Giorgio.

Bjorn

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today - James Dean

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Lotus Car Club Norway (LCCN) - lccn.no

LCCN on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LotusCarClubNorway/

Bjorn,

if I can be of any help just let me know, I will try to do my best....anyway changing the bearings (which?) involves a lot of work, dissassembling and measurements.

Check carefully every parts prior to dismantle.

Good luck.

Giorgio

Hi guys, interesting topic this one, I am replacing my output seals on an se, I know I should use a tool but, one side is set to 18mm the other 20 mm, without a tool does anyone know what part to measure and from where.

Many thanks

dave

Hi bibs, yep fully aware it's different, but there may be those in the discussion that have dealt with a Stevens gearbox, indeed the seal arrangement may be the same.

I am around tonight if you want to arrange collection of Christopher.

Dave

Hey Giorgoi

Youve been quiet lately? Hows your rebuild going had any luck?

Cheers

Buddsy

HI Buddsy,

not a good time for me, my father is not in good health since my mother passed away. I'm try to do something on my car but sincerely is not my first though at the moment. I will wait the good season to see if I can find new enthusiasm,

anyway I'm reading all the forum posts, and I will let you know any further works on my car.

Ciao to all my Lotus friends.

Giorgio

Giorgio, mate...sorry to hear of your bereavement. You and your Dad can, at least, support each other...and time does help. All the best...John.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Hi Giorgio,

I hope your father is doing ok?

Hopefull we'll begin the reassembly of my gearbox this week. It will be interesting to see if we can re-use the spacer shim for the secondary shaft. Knowing my luck that will not happen.

I got the new bearings from Harry. I was not as lucky as you to find them on eBay. The two end bearings he supplied look really interesting: Basically new bearings (SKF standard bearings I think) inside new machined housings, plus spacers on either side. Should make the next rebuild a little easier :D

While tinkering with the bearings it struck me that if it was possible to machine 1 mm off the secondary shaft near the pinion, it would be easy to get a standard 40x18x80 mm SKF bearing instead of the 41x18x80mm bearing that now seems almost impossible to get hold of. Did you ever consider this? I guess the alternative would be to ask someone to machine 1 mm off the inside of a standard bearing.

Bjorn

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today - James Dean

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Lotus Car Club Norway (LCCN) - lccn.no

LCCN on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LotusCarClubNorway/

Hi Giorgio,

I hope your father is doing ok?

Hopefull we'll begin the reassembly of my gearbox this week. It will be interesting to see if we can re-use the spacer shim for the secondary shaft. Knowing my luck that will not happen.

I got the new bearings from Harry. I was not as lucky as you to find them on eBay. The two end bearings he supplied look really interesting: Basically new bearings (SKF standard bearings I think) inside new machined housings, plus spacers on either side. Should make the next rebuild a little easier :thumbup:

While tinkering with the bearings it struck me that if it was possible to machine 1 mm off the secondary shaft near the pinion, it would be easy to get a standard 40x18x80 mm SKF bearing instead of the 41x18x80mm bearing that now seems almost impossible to get hold of. Did you ever consider this? I guess the alternative would be to ask someone to machine 1 mm off the inside of a standard bearing.

Bjorn

HI Bjorn,

happy you have found the bearings, Harry knows very well his job and his parts are the best on the market.

Regarding your question, I think is more convenient to machining the inner race of the SKF bearing, just to have the shaft original. Let us know your progress.

Ciao

Giorgio

Hi bjorn

Hi Bjorn,

the SKF bearing with innerring of 40 mm costs you around 130 Euro. You have to machine the innerring to 41 mm.

This SKF bearing NUP 208 has 2 rolls less than the original bearing. I have the original bearing for you wiht innerring of 41 mm.

No need for machining. Plug and play.

As long as I have the original bearing bearing I prefer that offcourse. After a while when they are no longer available, I'm gonna use the SKF NUP 208 aswell.

all the best,

Harry Martens Limmen

www.ds-vitesse.com

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

• 8 months later...

Do you know what part number/model number Quaife differential can be installed in Citroen gear box?

I am in US and seems they are not as expensive as in Europe.

I'm thinking about installing one by myself but I need the number.

Thank you

John

MrDangerUS

Hi John,

units are only sold by me. I had them specially made. If you ask Quaife you will be send to me.

I have the unit in stock, 1200 euro.

cheers and merry X-mas,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

post-996-0-92326100-1293229538.jpg

post-996-0-92116300-1293229555.jpg

post-996-0-24138700-1293229565.jpg

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

• 1 year later...

Thank you Gorgio for this comprehensive "how-to" overhaul thread, ESPECIALLY the pictures!

Fantastic Job!!!

P.S. Is it true that on our cars the rear 275mm solid discs & calipers are of the Lancia Beta (or Gamma)?

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 10 years later...
On 05/07/2012 at 11:41, giorgio67 said:

Hi guys,

thanks for your words.

No, sadly for what I know the calipers of the Lancias are different and also more expensive!

Giorgio

Hey, Giorgio,

I read this thread again and I want to complement you on your effort and documentation.

How is your gear box working (now)?

Are you still driving your Esprit or sold it?

Ciao

MrDangerUS