Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brazilian GP or Monza GP - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brazilian GP or Monza GP

Hey Guys,

I went to the Montreal GP last year and was amazed at the experience. This year I would have loved to go to the Montreal race again but since it is cancelled, it was time to find another destination.

My friends and I have narrowed it down to these 2: Brazilian GP or Monza GP

Which one would you attend?

I have never been to either country so I am planning on staying for a week overall to enjoy the country and the race. I do not know much about the surrounding areas where each race is held so some tips are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Jason

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jason. I've been to both but not for 10 years. Both tracks attract very enthusiastic fans but there are differences to be aware of.

Interlagos, when I was last there, was surrounded by a run-down area. Sao Paulo is a huge, sprawling city and the traffic is horrible are rush hour which lasts most of the day. The climate is hot and humid. It has a reputation for high crime although I never felt unsafe. You can't change the currency back when you leave. On the positive side, the championship had been decided there in dramatic fashion the last two year. You can visit Senna's grave. There is a high percentage of hot women. You can get good food (try a churruscaria where you get as much meat as you can eat in one sitting) and good shopping (try the Murumbi shopping center). The center of the city is nice, architecturally-speaking. There is plenty of "adult" entertainment near to the Hilton. It's interesting to see the contrast between the expensive areas and the shanty towns. You can good views of the track from the right places. You can buy stuff using US dollars although they may use a rate of 1 dollar to 1 Brazilian Real which is a rip off (it's less than 42c at the moment).

Monza doesn't necessarily produce good racing. You probably won't be able to see much of the track. The weather can be cold, foggy and wet or hot and dry so it's difficult to know what to pack. Last time I was there, there were loads of German Schumacher fans making car sounds with kazoos all the time. You will be surrounded by mainly Ferrari fans. Europe is expensive On the positive side it's in a pretty impressive setting if you approach it from the right direction. You are just up the road from Milan. You will get great food, so much better than the Italian food in America. You are about 2 hours' drive from the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and Pagani factories. You are surrounded by great scenery (visit Lake Como if you can) and architecture.

I would choose Monza mainly for the peripheral attractions rather than the race because I love Italy and the Italians' love of life but I would not turn down a trip to Sao Paulo.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I would like to have gone to the Brazilian GP when it was at Rio, (the ex wouldn't allow it), I've been to Monza and most European venues, but not Monaco, so I would like to go there. But I'd really like to go to Indianapolis and Daytona, such awesome events. And not forgetting a pilgrimage to Goodwood.

Roger :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Jason

I have only been to Monza, in 1978 when Ronnie got killed. I figure I was the last person to speak to him just as he was getting in his car in the pit garage. Anyway, the surrounding area to Monza is stunning. Having lived up that way as well, I can guarantee a great time. The Locals are friendly and, like the Brits and Americans, the scenery is stunning, with the Alps not too far away and the Lakes close at hand (I stayed on Lake Garda....and waterskii'd across it!.....don't fall in though cause it comes directly from the snows!!)

There's alot of histor and you could spend a few days exploring locally and then I would recommend the (very good) train to Venice and then onto Roma via Firenze (Florence). You can see the stunning art galaries and medieval history of Firenze and then the amazing and fascinating Roman history of Roma, tied into Vatican City...you won't be disappointed.

Personally I could spend a year in Italy and still not get bored. The language is beautiful, as are the ladies, the history is just about the most fascinating and diverse in the world, the scenery is stunning, the food mouth watering and the people diverse and lovely.

One word of warning though. Always eat away from the tourist area's. Look for locals sitting in Trattorias for the best food (the Italian Trattoria's are genuine one's not what you find elsewhere in the world. They are family run restaurants, normally run out of their homes).

I could enthuse all day.

Oh yes the racing, very fast and seeing the Tivosi at their best is a must! I used to sit in the factory canteen (where I worked) on a Friday afternoon and they always had the Practice and Qually on (in the day when it was spread over 2 days). They all knew me and it was great fun to cheer the Brits and get food thrown at me when they beat the Ferrari's! :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I can only echo what Kimbers says.....Monza all the way...............Its just so historic and atmospheric especially if you get near the old banking......

I was last there in '96-'97 - theres so much more to see in Italy. Seem to recall standing by the Duomo and taking more photos of old Fiats and Lancias than the cathedral!!

I cannot thank you enough for the great responses. I knew posting here would be wise as I was correctly assuming some of you have experienced both. There are some great pros and cons for each but as of now I am leaning towards Monza for the History/Safety of exploring other areas of Italy. If you have any more suggestions, I am all ears! At 31 years old, I cannot believe I waited until last year to see a race, but I am sure glad I did.

Thanks again!

Jason

• Gold FFM
I have only been to Monza, in 1978 when Ronnie got killed. I figure I was the last person to speak to him just as he was getting in his car in the pit garage.

Oi Tony!! You don't just drop that sort of comment into the middle of a thread mate - That needs a thread all to itself!

Jason. Monza and Monaco are the two I would love to attend. Never been outside the UK to another GP as of yet - Only done Silverstone to date, but yeah Monza would be a bit special. OK, 9 out of every 10 people would be Ferrari mad, but the history of the place combined with that atmosphere would be truly amazing.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I have been searching for a Lotus pit crew shirt (m) so I could represent us but have not come across yet...I still have time and will continue to look! There were quite a bit of Ferrari nuts in Montreal this past year, I should prepare myself for that to be 3fold in Italy. I am really looking forward to this one!

J

Jason - if you head to Italy do the Stelvio Pass between Italy and Switzerland..........this little beauty...

800px-Stelvio.jpg

And as you are soo close you might as well pop over to blighty here in the UK! I'm sure Kimbers could show you Hethel.......

And I'm near here if interested:

800px-Warwick_Castle_-mist_23o2007.jpg

Edited by nello

Not done brazil (had a chance two years ago but just missed out) but I did Monza several times. I love italy, Monza GP is just awesome - atmosphere, location, history, food etc etc.. If you go make sure you take the time to explore the circuit to find the old banked track. Check out that James Garner film "grand prix" to see it in its glory.

Take the other half too and explore Milan (fashion, history, music etc) and there's also Turin not far away, Italian Job/ Lingotto factory with the test track on the roof etc. Italian lakes area, Como etc. So much..

:-)

Did a trip to Monza a few years back with some friends? It was an amazing weekend and will be doing again sometime.

We flew into Milan and hired a MPV for getting around.

We stayed in a town on Lake Garda and travelled to Monza each day on the motorway which took about 50 minutes. The weather was Serb line and we had grand stand tickets on the 1st chicane at the end of the start /finish straight. The old banking is worth a look and it

Edited by gghc87

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Nello, Warwick Castle, nice but over priced.......bit like Stratfraud!!!!!

Monza Deffo (I am biased, my wifes italian), just a suggestion but see if you can tie up with one of the european rounds of the WRC if it still exists, those guys really hustle through on the closed public roads!!!!