Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Saab may go bust within 10 days warn GM - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Saab may go bust within 10 days warn GM

Many years ago I was given a new company car - Saab 9000 Carlsson. (It replaced a Sierra 4x4). Had it for 4 years. Lovely, incredible acceleration, totally wild & unpredictable handling but all in all a nice car. At 98,000 miles, and well out of warranty the differential exploded. With little argument, Saab replaced it for free. That was impressive.

A sad loss. Maybe it can come good again when the world starts up again.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ignition by the gear lever was actually an incredibly effective security feature as it locked the gearlever when you removed the key. I'm surprised more people didn't go down this route at the time.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Maybe it can come good again when the world starts up again.

Haven't you heard? according to Doctor Doom ( Barack Obama - the chosen one and he who was once thought to be able to walk on water ) that is just not going to happen. We are all doomed.

Edited by GavinT

• Gold FFM

filed ....

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/20/saab-fi...ourts-wants-1b/

Saab files for bankruptcy in Swedish courts, wants $1B

by Sam Abuelsamid on Feb 20th 2009 at 8:33AM

General Motors confirmed this morning that Saab's days as a part of the Detroit based company are numbered. The Swedish brand has filed paperwork with courts in its home country for reorganization that would lead to its independence. This self-managed reorganization is analogous to the US chapter 11 bankruptcy process, and would lead to the establishment of an independent entity based in Sweden. In order for that to happen, however, GM needs to line up financing for the new company, which may be problematic. Automotive News reports that as much as $1 billion may be in order to make Saab sustainable on its own.

GM plans to concentrate Saab's engineering, design and manufacturing operations back in Sweden. The brand plans to launch three new products between now and mid 2010: the new 9-3X, 9-5 and 9-4X. The first two are already set to be produced in Sweden, but the new 9-4X crossover was scheduled to be built in Mexico alongside the Cadillac SRX. The Swedish government has already rejected a GM request for funds, so the money will have to come from somewhere else. The GM press release is after the jump.

[source: General Motors]

SAAB ON THE ROAD TO INDEPENDENCE

Swedish court process to reorganise Saab into a fully independent business

Three new models ready to be launched over the next year and a half

Saab aims to bring resources back to Sweden

Funding sought for 'new independent Saab'

Trollh

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Scrap all quality parts and replace with Vauxhall Chassis and Engines

Hey - it is possible to put the words 'quality' and 'Vauxhall' in the same sentence after all... :)

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

I have a 55reg Vectra 1.9cdti its done 92000 miles and drives like a new car. My dad has a T reg vectra 20dti with 142000 miles on it drives very well. and he sold his K reg Cavalier 2litre petrol with 225000 miles on it and the only thing that had ever went wrong with that 1 was clutch went at 150000miles the water pump went at 160000 miles. You want find many cars with that sort of reliablty.

P.s. I serviced and service all the cars above as I wonted trust a main dealer with a shopping trolly let alone a car.

Edited by ian heighway
logo_01-2.jpg

In regards to the comments above, I'll say it again. It's not the cars that are bad it's the business model. However the cars aren't that good either! Thats why Saab is closing and thats why GM lose Billions every month! If they are so good then why have they been losing 1.2 Billion a quarter, even before the recession???

It may be reliable but how much was it worth the day after it was bought new? Whereas most cars have a 3 year residual of 35-40% Vauxhall have a 20% value if your lucky. They are consistantly one of the worst performers in residuals and thats not cause they are good!

The business model is wrong, the cars are reliable, I agree, but they are bland and un-charismatic with a very poor dealer network to whom you are just a number.

Past models are past models.

Phew I needed to get that off my chest!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Did.....

Be positive.......... <_< .....must resist............

Well done you got a good deal. Here's an Astra. High Spec. 3 years old.....in 2 months time...so only 2 yrs 10 mnths. This is at a dealer so their margin will be at least

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Love my Vectra, the dealer service is SHIT though!

Drives nice, plenty of power for day to day driving, holds on real well in the corners.

Got a problem with heavy uneaven wear on the rear tyres on this current set so its got to go in to have that checked out, just don't trust them to be truithful or do a good job. Its a real shame but the dealer experience has really let my ownership pleasure down!!

Its not difficult to do a good job, its just the dealers don't seem to care as when the cars still within warranty you have no real choice other than to take it to them! <_<

Chunky Lover

Theres no doubt that the larger the manufacturer, the larger the dealer and the worse you get treated. Look at poor old Simon f with his paint debacle at our local Ford dealer.

Personally I expect top notch service at a reasonable price and I am proud to say all dealers I have worked for have offrered just that. But then I haven't worked for the really big boys.

The Vauxhall dealers around my way are pretty good. There's 3 Picadors and and a Hartwells all within a few miles of each other. I gues a bit of competition may help.

My local Picador could not have been more helpful. I have just had a new engine fitted to an 06 zafira sri under warranty. I wasnt even the legal owner when they took the car in (engine went bad during money transfer period on a private sale) but they encouraged me to go through with the purchase and gave me a coutesy car for about 3 weeks while they got the engine.

Regarding prices, prices seem very regional at the moment. Not many bargains to be had down South I found.