Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel pressure regulator - Fuel System/Carbs - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel pressure regulator

slewthy

OK, this is driving me mad.

In my S3 N/A, the fuel pressure regulator is just floating free in the bay - bought like that. I need to replace all the fuel pipes but I need to site this first so I can get proper measurements. I could put it anywhere safe I guess, but where should it go? Does anyone have any pics to illustrate - I cant find any anywhere. I have looked, honest!

Simon

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I now have an answer for this. I also understand why I've had no replies to my question.

The fuel pressure regulator goes.......nowhere. It shouldn't be there. Non standard apparently.

Question is, what made the PO fit it? What may have been the underlying problem? I dont have a receipt for it but I do know the fuel pump was replaced fairly recently.

Should I just remove the regulator? Maybe I should test the fuel pressure.

Fuel regulators always used to be marketed as fuel saving economy devices. If it was me, I would simply throw it away. Probably won't do any harm but its just one more thing to go wrong.

There was some info posted on here a day or two ago that suggested dellortos with metal needle valves should run at circa 3psi and the viton tipped needle valves should run at about 5psi - sounds perfectly reasonable. Maybe best to check that the replacement pump is not a high pressure PI pump running at 100psi... before you choose to follow my advice!!

cheers Steve

When Paul Matty's fitted a new fuel pump to my S2 they had a terrible time with the connections on the fuel pressure regulator so simply removed it. They didn't seem to think there were any problems doing this.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Well, I've looked at the pump and it just states its an SU. Nil else - thats it.

Going back to the service history and receipts (which I now have on an excel file - great bit of time saving) the PO bought both MGB SU and MG midget SU pumps. One of these was fitted but I dont know which. A bit of searching online suggests they are in the 1-5psi bracket. So, it would seem reasonable and sensible to remove the regulator. Its either that or fork out on a fuel presure gauge which seems a bit wasteful. I could just start the car up without it but since a flooded engine is a major pain to deal with, I'm a little worried about this.

We'll see.

On my 84 turbo (US) it has a fuel pressure regulator. It came with this from the factory, and is located close to the coolant overflow tank in the rear of the car. I have dual dellorto carbs, if this helps. Not by my car at the moment, so I can't take a photo for you.

Thanks,

Matt

hi i also own a 86 excel with a 2.2 hc engine and a standard su pump and it runs with no fuel reg fitted hope this will help or maybe ease your concerns.

Yep. I'm convinced- I'm going to remove it. Solves the 'where should it go' problem as well.

I'll post how it runs after this.

• 2 months later...

OK, thought I should round off this thread.

Fitted the new fuel lines without the regulator.

No problems - no flooding etc.

So, not sure why this was added, apart from the fuel economy thing which has been suggested.

Engine bay much neater now.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have heard 910Esprit has the history right. It was a "perceived" issue or concern for the Dellortos. My PO had one fited as well. had to remove it once it failed on my and was unable to find one locally. Its been running without one ever since.

Also, I am using a solid state fuel pump with no issues.

DomG

77 S1 Esprit

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue