Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Free V8 OBDII Scan Tool - ECU/OBDII - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Free V8 OBDII Scan Tool

peter_england99

Dear All,

I have written an OBDII scan tool that also reads all the standard OBDII data as well as the V8 specific data. Lotus Cars Ltd. kindly provided me with the V8 data details. So thanks go to Lotus for supporting us V8 owners (I should stress here that the scan tool is not officially endorsed by Lotus). The software is free to all Esprit V8 owners and as is usual with this sort of software, download, installation and running of the software is at the users own risk.

The latest setup zip for the OBDII_EspritV8 software is below. Please see below for instructions on installing the software.

Please note that you will need an ELM323 or ELM327 OBDII interface device to connect to your computer for the software to work. The interfaces can be purchased from Ebay. Many of you will already have this interface if you have used a PC based OBDII scan tool.

Regards,

Peter.

If you have installed a previous version, then please remove OBDII_EspritV8 (the old version) before installing the updated version (For Vista run 'Control Panel - Programs and Features' , For XP run 'Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs' & for Win98 run 'Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs')

Please do the following steps to install and run the software:

A1- Download the zip file (see link above)

A2- Unzip the file 20110612.zip.

A3- Run the setup.exe file

A4- Follow the instructions. If there are errors during the install (there willbe with Vista) simply ignore the errors.

A5- Setup will add an entry to your programs in the windows start button.

When the software has been installed, you will need to do the following:

B1- Connect the ELM323 or ELM327 OBD hardware device to a USB or serial port onyour laptop (Install drivers as required by your OBD hardware device)

B2- Connect the OBD device to your car's OBD socket.

B3- Switch on the car's ignition (no need to actual start the car at thisstage).

B4- Run the OBDII_EspritV8 software.

B5- Click on the "Config" menu option (top left) and the configuration screen will be shown.

B6- Set the "Com Port" number to the number as used by your OBD hardware device.

B7- Set the "ELM Timeout" to 6 (this value may have to set higher ifyou have a slow ECU).

B8- Set the "Baud Rate" to 9600 if using an ELM 323 device and 38400if using an ELM 327 device.

B9- The O2 Sensor setup should be leftas 2 sensors per bank and 2 banks.

B10- Set the "Lotus Esprit V8 Support" section to "Lotus Esprit V8".

B11- When you have done the above configuration, exit the form by pressing the top-right "X".

To start reading the vehicle's sensor values do the following:

C1- Click on the "OBD" tab to display the standard OBDII sensor data/PIDs

C2- Press the "Read All" button located bottom-left. There will be abit of a delay (max 30s) as the software connects to the ELM device and the car's ECU.

C3- Once connected the screen will be updated with the values read from all the vehicle's sensors.

C4- If you correctly configured the software to look for the Esprit V8 sensors (see step B10), then when you can select the "Lotus Esprit V8" tab the screen will show you the Esprit V8 specific vehicle sensors.

C5- If you want to focus on a subset of the available OBDII sensors, then you can double click on the sensor value on the screen and it will toggle between reading the sensor or not reading the sensor (sensor is displayed in red).

C6- Click the "Select PIDs" tab to specify up to 6 PIDs you want to read and press the "Start Reading PIDs" button.

Main changes in this software are:

• Software protection has been removed.
  • There is a new tab 'V8 Controls' allowing the ECU to be reset and various ECU outputs to be switched on & off.

Regards,

Peter.

20110612.zip

• Gold FFM

Peter, can i expect any advantages over my ordinary *Vehicle Explorer* with its lifetime support/upgrades ? As i can read 'short & long term', 'knock voltage' an other specific data ... . If so than i will download your test-files and try them as soon as the engine is back in the car.

cheers!

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Very cool, will research the cable and give it a whirl. Is feedback required??

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

Very cool Peter. Thank you so much I have the interface cable plug etc so will download this later on. Be interesting what shows up vs the hand held Ezscan4000

Being a female I can give you a hug, now id like to see the boys try it on heheheehe!

350.gifNo.23

• Gold FFM

Kylie, i will not hug him -bud i still owe him a beer from last years 'welcome at the dunston' experience. So there is one more to come one day... . :)

Thanks Peter! :)

I will try this as soon as possible. Just now I don't have interface cable, but it in order.

Very nice Peter, I'm off to get a ELM cable!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 2 weeks later...

Works like a charm, thanks for taking the time to do this for all the V8 owners!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Well done Peter :)

It works with my old V8 (OBDI). Positive problem is that now I must learn to understand more about the car. cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Looking on ebay, it looks like most of these ELM devices are cheap products from China. Anyone have any experience with these and if they actually work. Last time I bought a cable for my Prins Propane system from China, had nothing but problems. Are there stores one can buy this cable from? Also, will this program operate on a Mac or only a PC?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

you can ask Holger (* streetz * overhere), he has got his from e-bay too.... . Get in contact with him, and ask if it does work (it was something complicated to start this interface, even with the supporting software that comes with it)

Guest modifiedv8engines

Hi All

Just installed Peters software on my ELM 327 and it works a treat on my 1997 Esprit V8.

Really useful features but best of all is its abillity to download data to an Excel spreadsheet for later viewing/diagnosis.

Thanks again Peter

Cheers

Paul

• 4 months later...

I would really like to try out Peter's software. Please excuse me if I'm missing something but I believe I need to e-mail to get the code to activate it but I cannot see an e-mail address to use. Is there something I am missing?

Thank you.

• Gold FFM

just *PM* him

• 5 months later...

I had to reinstall my laptop after an infection. Now I have the problem, that while installing, the set-up program tells me, it´s unable to copy some of the files to the folder windows/system32/*** and another folder. Does anyone know how to solve this? 

Edited by streetz

Sport 350 - the Real Devil