Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Owner - '85 Turbo Esprit - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Owner - '85 Turbo Esprit

thom_77

Hi all - I just purchased an '85 Turbo Esprit. I'm really excited about it, as I've always wanted one (for years and years)... came close to taking the plunge a couple of times but finally just bit the bullet and bought one the other day. It was actually something of an impulse buy, because I knew that if I thought about it longer, I'd probably not do it, so here I am.

Anyway, I realize that this isn't the kind of thing one should do on a whim, but she seemed clean and well cared for, and they're all going to need work one way or the other, so I figured what the hell. The original ad is still up I think if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.stlouiscarmuseum.com/stlcarmuse...late.asp?id=919

I didn't pay the list price as it was a cash sale, and I take delivery in a few days... I live in NYC so they have to truck it over.

Anyway, I do know a few things about these cars, but if anyone knows of something in particular that I should be on the lookout for, then by all means please share. I'm not going to be doing any of the work myself (except perhaps for some detailing), and there is a great Lotus shop across from my office in Manhattan, but I don't want to be an idiot either. I do plan to sink a few dollars into keeping things as perfect as possible, just want to be as educated as I can be.

-Tom

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car looks exceptional and that advert, with all those photos, really shows everything doesn't it??

Well done I am sure you will be very pleased with it. Looks expensive. Was it???

Edited by stephenwhyte

Car looks exceptional and that advert, with all those photos, really shows everything doesn't it??

Well done I am sure you will be very pleased with it. Looks expensive. Was it???

Thanks guys!

That's what I was thinking too; the advert was pretty clear with all those pics, and they emailed me the service history, so I was happy. Seems to be a relatively unique color too. Was part of a collection, from what I understand.

Price wasn't too bad actually. I paid just around $20k US for it, plus shipping, which should be about another $1k. Overall a good deal I think.

Tom,

Saw the car on Ebay and it looked really good. I have had my 83 for a little over three years and really enjoy driving and tinkering on it. I would say the biggest problem (here in the states) is they don't get driven enough. On a new to you car I would just make sure all the fluids are fresh and if there is any doubt then change them.

Have fun,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Wow that looks superb

My 85 turbo had colour coded bumpers but perhaps the Federal market stuck with the black ones. I think black looks better.

I'd be tempted to have the " Turbo Esprit " graphics applied to the body work.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

I bought my Europa Special on a whim, my Excel that followed on a whim, then the S3 on a whim, decided not to buy the TE on a whim, regretted it for 6 months or so then the person who bought it when I decided not to advertised it, so I went ahead on another whim and bought it.

It may not be the most logical way to enter ownership of a car that can be expensive to repair / restore, but it's certainly not without some thrill.

Well done Tom.

Impulse buys can be the best....I hit the 'buy it now' button within 2 hours of my car being listed on ebay.

Welcome to LEF :)

My 85 turbo had colour coded bumpers but perhaps the Federal market stuck with the black ones. I think black looks better.

I'd be tempted to have the " Turbo Esprit " graphics applied to the body work.

Yeh...superb looking example...but interesting to spot the differences to mine too. Not sure if its a federal spec thing or just other changes made to the whole range in '85. My December '85 Turbo got the colour coded bumpers not black and no badges (Lotus say they were delivered in the glove box by request of the first owner!) I prefer it....but each to their own.

Also I have no ridge across the dash above the glove box. My glove box lid is much bigger and has no lock. I have no handle behind the drivers seat (to pop the rear deck?) just a twist catch on the back of the car, and that inner engine cover looks really complex moulding whereas mine is just a flat cover with a rectangular louvered cut out over the rear third.

There's also some after market stuff I suspect. The second courtesy switch on the drivers door jamb - maybe for an alarm? The projector lights in the front grill?

All in all, looks stunning in the pics - so congrats indeed. The only thing we would all have worried about on a museum car would be the timing belts and they've just been done...so you're all set. Enjoy....

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Hi Tom,

Welcome! I've been here all of a month, and got my first '87 Turbo Esprit just last Monday (put on 200 miles since then too :)). I saw your car on eBay, and for a moment, a few days actually, thought I would have to beg, borrow, or steal money for a second LTE! I love the color combination on your car, and I think next to BRG, it's my second favorite color on an Esprit. I agree it would look nice with some proper decals on the side too. I just bought a set and am still waiting on them to get here.

Anyway, good luck with it, and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Adam

Gotta love impulse buys! Carpe diem!!! :)

That leather interior is in better shape than on most of them, so that makes it worth it right there.

Welcome to Esprit ownership -- after a few years, you'll never want to be without one . . . or two . . . or . . .

- Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I bought my 90 SE on a whim, nine years ago. They paid us software types a fat bonus to stay through the year 2000, and I thought, easy come, easy go.

Still have it, still love it. Actually, it hasn't lost much value in the last 9 years. Got it for $25k, worth about $20k today. So much for putting the money into Wall St - original investment has come out about the same. Unlike the stock weenies, I got a terrific fun dividend.

:animier: Looks like ive found mr cars twin but mine has black and tann interior,and gold decals but mine has plain silver rims and mine is a 1984 :respect:

KAM