Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Couldnt resist its official - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Couldnt resist its official

I am now a full Esprit forum member! Thought im getting all thi advice so hell why not give some support back.

Look forward to huge amount of kowledge gaining!!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear god dont go offering simon any vehicle 2 wheels or 4, at last count he had a fleet of seven vehicles, you see he always buys, nevers sells.

Poor simon,

But on the other hand glad you went green, its the future you know.

Many thanks for the commitment Wayne.

Before making your purchase, I'd suggest popping to either a local meet or better still, the Factory Frolic (in October) and have a look at the various models and styles in the flesh. You'll see many cars in all states of repair from pristine to barely running and have a chance to chat with the owners to determine what it is you're letting yourself in for.

As a first purchase, I'd suggest upping the beudget and buying a car that is, at least, running and MOTd. That way you've got a chance of enjoying the car before attacking it with spanners.

Have you driven many Esprits to give you an idea of what the different models are like?

To be honest i have never driven one but always liked them. Same went for my 911 when i purchased that. I love the driving style of older cars as you know your in control and feel the road much better. I am taking everyones advice on board at the moment and looking at all my options. Dont think i can afford to up the budget so i will still be in project stage for what i have to spend. Where is the nearest meet to me, im in Rayleigh Essex. I think i will deffinately be looking at a S3 if i can due to the Galvanised chassis, or a late S2. Condition not to worried as i know what i can and cant do. I never admit defeat just walk away and come back latter and try again. I rebuild the engine of my 911 2.7 so if i can do that i reckon i will be okay.

If i purchase a car that has not been run for years what would you advise as the best first course of action to attempt to run it. Could it be fired up with belt change oil change etc or would more work need to be done first. Ideally getting a car running would be first point of call to enable better woking at home, least that way i can move it in and out the garage.

Essex give two main meeting groups, London (don't know when next meet is) and AEG (next meet 1st near Norwich, but we rotate each month Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds are the other two). If you can make it to the factory frolic that may be your best bet as there will be so many different cars in different states of repair.

If you go for a car that's not been running expect the water pump to have failed / fail pretty quickly (shaft rusts and the rust is normally worn away by the seal, if it stands it gets too much for the seal to cope with and just chews the seal up), replace all belts, renew all oil (inc gearbox). Expect the carbs to have old fuel / no fuel (do you know SU pumps? If so you'll know to tap them if they don't work). Remove plugs (and disconnect coil), turn it by hand, if it turns OK then turn by starter to get oil pressure, finally replace plugs and get it to fire.

Does the engine need to be removed to change the timing belt due to the location? SU's not a problem, played with them in the past. Would it be safer to change the pump due to lack of use? Would you attempt to turn it by hand befor any service etc is carried out? If the water pump is shot im prob guessing rotten rads to. I have rolls of fuel hose so would also renew all rubber pipes as i have seen some horror stories with fires on these cars. Would drain system and renew fuel prob best to drain tanks as well and flush?

Is the factory frolic at Hethal? I have been there a couple of times. My day job works with companies who work alongside Lotus but for confidential reasons i cannot obviously say what we do or what i have been involved with.

Water pump going does not necessarily mean the rad has gone, steel Vs copper. Re changing it, depends if you simply want to be able to start and move the car 10yards or let it get warm, when the pump goes, it goes, very little warning and it just starts letting fluid out at quite a rate, the sort of rate where if you brim the swirl pot, it'll have drained to pump level in less than 1 minute without the engine running. You can change it at the same time as changing the cam belt. Both can be done with the engine in the car, but it's easier if you unbolt the engine (and gearbox) from it's mounts and tip it / slide it back slightly. When you put the pump back on replace the hex headed bolt that's in line with the dissy/ oil pump sprocket with a cap headed type (easier in future).

You could turn it by hand before servicing it, but, check oil for contamination and drop some fresh oil into the cam towers as a bare minimum, also check belt condition, although you wouldn't damage pistons / valves if turning by hand you don't want it to make the belt change a more involved job.

Replacing fuel hose is a good idea. If you drain and flush tanks you may stir up a lot of debris, you'll find it difficult to drain properly as one tank has a drain plug and the other relies on the balance pipe (IIRC), but if you remove the ply wood covers and open up the top of the tank you'll be able to see what the insides are like (fair chance of leaks due to rusting from outside in).

Yes the frolic is at the factory (and a costal run day before) at Hethel

Thanks Andy

i will consider all the avenues and keep everyone posted when i get a vehicle. I would obviously start a project thread for it so keep everyone updated. Hopefully i will be joining you all soon. Bike ends on ebay tonight and have had a couple of good enquiries. Also someone comming to test ride over weekend if not sold on ebay.

Is the factory frolic at Hethal? I have been there a couple of times. My day job works with companies who work alongside Lotus but for confidential reasons i cannot obviously say what we do or what i have been involved with.

It's at their other factory which, working closely with them, you'll know all about! :P

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Ha ha!! unfortunatelly i dont get to much involved with that side of things. The place i visit is the office side with the ancient toys in reception. Still the lady on the security counter is very nice! Ehen i visited last time they had Evora shells all over the place and were still in pre production stages.

Who?????? Am i being ignorant. I have to say it is a great car but i think given the option i still prefer an old Esprit! Do like my classics.

Edited by wayneb911

Hazel Chapman = wife of (now deceased) Colin Chapman - founder of Lotus; mother of Clive Chapman who runs Classic Team Lotus (running the old F1 cars)

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Hence my ignorance i am not up on the history side of things. Well now i know and will pay more attention since i am now getting myself more involved in a Lotus hobby car!!

Glad you appreciate owning a classic Lotus will be a hobby, it's not something you get in and drive, with regular scheduled (and long time between them) visits to have the service performed.

Errr.... actually Andy, that's just how I've used my Esprit for the last 20 years. Just get in and drive it with an annual service and MOT :) (Other than the last two times it stopped working on track at Castle Combe obviously :) )

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny