Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
BHP of cars...S4 - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

BHP of cars...S4

wow, maybe its an American thing Dave

my 90SE made 14 more hp than the Corvette of the same year (30 more if you count the short overboost).  the Esprit had the highest specific output of a production car (here) until about 7 yrs ago, and then only due to incorporation of VVT and direct injection.  My SCCA buddies and my NASCAR mechanic acquaintance viewed section TDE of the manual and observed that the tolerances match their race engine specs.  My '06 ZX-10 has broader range of tolerances FFS!  Of course European cars have historically been higher output than American ones...I recon "high state of tune" is a relative thing.

with the exception of a few devoted enthusiasts on here, most in the States don't use the Esprit as a daily driver, so that may contribute to accelerated wear here?  Welch told me he rarely sees an Esprit engine in great health at 50k miles. 

no argument here that these are well engineered motors though

well, even if our engines don't fare as well as our brothers across the pond, at least our metal bits don't rust :harhar:

Edited by ragingfool35

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

My motor was rebuilt 3k ago. All seals poly and ceramic coated pistons. I'm taking it to the one esprit pro in Houston to have it all checked. Would you advise against installing the chip? I'm open to a better option. I just want it to run as well and fast as it can. I know I need a bigger chargecooler, but ordering from overseas has been a pain. I've spent a lot and still have nothing here. It's been over a month of waiting.

Personally i would not fit a chip, There is far more important things to look at instead...As your engine was recently

rebuilt start with the basics and work through, make sure is all to spec, then introduce flow mods to let it breath better..

Check the cam timing ,fit quality injectors and exhaust and watch the power creep in...

A lot of the areas are covered in parts of my 412 BHP thread which is the extreme but will outline the areas to

start with... Also the Alunox manifold development and test thread i did will outline the flow gains that can be made...

Who have you ordered parts from in the UK, what delivery dates were quoted.?

If you PM me the details i will chase them up for you...

Dave 

Thanks Dave,

Puk shipped a stage 2 turbo and chip over a month ago from Germany. I have been waiting a month for oem springs from lotus shipped to jae, then to me with billstein shocks. I am trying to be patient. I will have the tech test motor before any mods are done. I just want to have all parts delivered to him with car.

I will have: primary and secondary rc injectors, ball bearing turbo, free flow cat, no muffler, k&n filter, and blow off valve as far as flow. Should larger chargecooler and manifold come next then? Sorry if I sound ignorant

• 3 months later...

Anyone know a trusted dyno shop near Washington, D.C.? Just about done with my build up and I am now very curious... There is a what appears to be a large difference from stock when I last drove it.

Complete engine rebuild using an RC injector (higher flow) set from WC, ported head, Alunox headers, K&N, 107 cam, green dot pulleys, WC S4s +3% chip, turbo is huge but unidentified, stock CC and boost solenoid but do have an AEM wired in and solenoid is ready to plug-in if anyone thinks it will make an improvement), CAT (for now) and muffler. Guess anyone? WHP, BHP? Minus CAT WHP, BHP?

Mike..go over to the esprit chat area and search for the thread results of a tweaked s4 and realistic results..youll be suprised...peoples claims to what their products do are unfounded and usually exaggerated...theres a lot more than just bolting things on and gaining. "Changes" 412 thread is an excellent detailed account of going to the extreme. My thread is more "the average guy" version

Oh..and fitting these things wont gaurentee that you get the same as someone else either..

Darren,

Roger that. Just looking for estimates from those that have tried and tested. I have read Changes thread more than several times, and I have tried to replicate as much (within my budget) as feasible. Would really like to get the Alunox Charge Cooler but without the up front core and larger lines, it should not be that much help so will stay with what I can afford for now. I am hoping to see at least 30 - 50 ft/lb increase with what I have done, but one never knows without a benchmark of some kind. The double bearing turbo I have now been advised is capable of supporting 350-450 bhp engines so that should not be an issue. My one and only drive last Friday seemed to indicate that spool up was almost instantaneous as 1st gear took about 2 - 3 seconds to 6000 rpm (remember I am breaking in this newly built block) - a HUGE change from the original turbo's spool up with only .67 bar showing on the digital boost controller (AEM) and the factory boost solenoid. Breathing is apparently everything with this lump. Plan to remove the CAT once past my new state's inspection (MOT) some time later this or next year and get at least a year or two of driving without it until I possibly fail the next inspection and have to put it back on the car. It has been said that just ridding the car of the CAT gives a good bump up in breath assuming it still has it guts. Did a lot of port matching but no measurements to show any reduction in the flows. I Do Not plan any racing or extended high rpm driving as I am fully aware what UN1's capabilities are, esp in 5th, so just looking for more torque to piss of the local Honda crowd.  :scooter:

I am NOT trying to replicate CHANGES program by any means as I am only after a daily driver that feels in the seat like it looks and that retains reliability and since our fuel around here stinks (93 with 10% ethanol) going any further is a complete waste due to certain knocking. If things do not break on the next pickup try from the shop and I can actually drive it for a while, then getting the A/C functional, then a stainless 3" exhaust sans CAT will be my next venture as I do agree that the factory exhaust is quite restrictive though usable for dailies. I currently have some Hella H1 High beams to install and am looking for some Hella, Cibie, Bosch H1 Bi-Focals for the low beam. Seems like the Federal cars all initially had sealed beams which truly are the worst headlights I have ever had to use. These are hard to find here. Finally, try to recover from the theft of my Aluminum Tanks by replacing them (if even possible without engine removal) will then end my trek for improvement for the foreseeable future. It has cost so much now that my wife thinks I am utterly mad. Off to bed for me now perchance to dream of a complete, running, usable SE.

I have never Dyno'd my car, it's not a daily drive, it would be nice to know what the actual figures are but as Dave has said you do need a base line and use the dyno as a comparator each time you make a change.

For me, I am very happy with the performance, the engine is new, about 6k miles, the mods are...

Alunox header SS

Electric charge cooler

Ram air

Re chipped, not sure which one (5?)

De catted

Stainless free flow exhaust

Air con disconnected

I am not sure how much more power I would need, the wheels spin in 1st and second, sometimes in third. Any faster and I would need to re look at the suspension set up at the rear to keep it on the road.

I do regret not dyno ing, but the car feels fast and puts a smile on my face every time I give it full chat, what more could you ask for.

Edited by Dave Freeman
  • Like 1