Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The EVORA test drive on the Factory day? - Page 2 - The Lotus Forums 'Factory Frolic' 2009 - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The EVORA test drive on the Factory day?

I have to say, I loved driving the Evora. I also enjoyed driving the Europa S. I am lucky enough to have driven pretty much most Lotus types since 1998 and I also know my driving style (love rear wheel drive, mid engine).

The Evora was easy to drive - probably felt secure in the knowledge that the TC would help out if needed. I bimbled around a bit to get used the the grabby brakes and handling characteristics, then I made the most of the test drive route. I presumed it would be short so therefore made the most of accelerating hard out of corners (listening to my B&C co-driver), onto dual carriageways etc - which is really where you want the punch.

Despite the subsequent turbo shove, I am not a fan of turbo lag and much as I like to drive the GT3, I found the V8GT more user friendly simply because of the lack of lag. Interior wise, I like the Evora although I didn't look at it while I was driving - not really of any consequence, I can look at it while the car is stationary.

I found the car easy to drive, responsive at any chosen speed (clearly I haven't tried stop/start traffic), and a smaller - but comfortable - cabin space than expected. Storage is smaller than the Esprit but, let's face it, it is a different car.

I have had bigger 2+2s, it was a laugh getting four adults in, but that's what it's about. I love what Lotus stands for, I love the fact we can 'do the factory tour' and we can give feed back.

I would have an Evora (brakes are mental - have you sat in the back of one while the driver - a certain Mr Turner - stood on them?) but at the moment they're out of my budget.

Let's face it, there is a whole generation waiting their turn to do the Factory Tour and the Evora will bring them in.

LouX

post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd like there to be a british choice for the hugely growing 'recently divorced and life crisis market' as it would take the 'german or nothing' option away and give folk the chance to be individual.

There is one....its called an esprit, been there and done the divorce /mid life crisis and ended up with an esprit.

Divorce screws you financially in most cases so 49-60k is not a divorced mans option. 10-20k used sports car is.

And they generally need a family load lugger of mondeo type size as well, so the big flash motor is restricted for that 0.5% of

high income earners divorced or not divorced.

Cheers

Alex

• Gold FFM

Esprit is for divorced midlife-crisis man !? Puts me into new perspectives -as i need an girl first to be 'divorced' later on :)

..so lets say, ESPRIT is for the gentleman without kids, and he EVORA is for those who like the option to have the family 'in the neck'. So it is more the car that follows the Excel line? And that was also not an cheap alternative to similar 2+2 in its time...

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

from what i understand of the things, the engine set-up in its basics is stock TOYOTA -right? Wasn't that what he said in the factory-tour !? So there will be some potential for re-engineering later on, and i cant imagine that the aimed customer range (mention it is priced as an fine-class GT..) would like to have an rpm-range up to over 9ooo ??

• Gold FFM

does it control length of intake runners, cam-timing & lift and so on !? ..that would be the point to make the rpm-range more flexible.. . But as it is mechanical an TOYOTA-world engine, what should we expect :)

My views of the test drive is very similar to Simon's view.

I was a bit dissapointed of the length of time in the car given that I saw them parked up most of the day.

It felt a bit special when I first sat in it but after the test drive it could have been any other 2+2. I do feel it's a bit over priced but given it's hand made then I suppose Lotus can ask this sort of price. If you are looking at the 2 seater model then I would go for an Exige or Porsche Caymen S. Also for nearly half the price a 350Z or now the 370Z is good value (the old one being 3.5 V6 pushing out 280BHP) is similar in power. It's hasn't got the badge of the Lotus but you can't help but question the price tag of the Evora.

Funnily enough, straight after my test drive, Robert and I had to leave. jumped into my Esprit and it instantly felt special and better even though mine is a 10 year old car! We both blipped the throttle down Potash Lane and our Esprits felt so much more in every aspect. It also turns more heads too!

Would I buy one, no certainly not new and would have to wait a long time before used prices came down to a figure I thought was worth it.

If I had

Sorry...popped out (to Switzerland) so am only just catching up.

I loved the car. Agree with many of the posted plusses/minusses...fantastic steering, quality feel, comfy, fast but not frantic, small but relatively spacious inside, annoying distance to stalk switches, oversprung central plane in gearchange, oversensitive brakes....etc etc. But to me the more interesting question being answered is would we have one?

Its a toughy cos very few of us are in the fiancial position to put our dosh where our mouth is so we're not really the target market and we have no experience of the lifestyle or decision process of someone who might decides to spend

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I'm moving to Norfolk and marrying a Lotus Evora. :)

I could not live without feeling that steering everyday, and that was after my second corner !

It seems I was luckier than some, as I had my test drive with my local Lipscomb salesman. He was more than happy to let me give the Evora it's head. Although the drive was over in an instant (suppose I could have driven slower) my over whelming thought was that I could live with this car everyday, but I don't know what some of my farming customers would say ! The engine had the right amount of power and torque to keep me entertained as well as a good level of sound, not to intrusive but enough to let you know how it was doing and that this is a proper drivers car.

Yes the brakes would take some getting used to at low speeds, much like an hgv air brake set up, but at speed I can confidently say; you can remove your head and place it 1 foot in front of the rest of you with amazing ease, especially when that second brake valve opens. The whole set up inspires huge confidence. Maybe the excitement of driving someone else's

Oh dear :D After reading everyone's comments, I am not sure about the Evora now :)

I was really looking forward to taking one for a test drive when i get back in December, but now.....?

I really hope that the press do not pick up on comments like these, as they could break Lotus :whistle:

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

I just don't understand why people are still comparing the Evora to the Esprit or the Elise/Exige... :)

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Oh dear :D After reading everyone's comments, I am not sure about the Evora now :)

I was really looking forward to taking one for a test drive when i get back in December, but now.....?

I really hope that the press do not pick up on comments like these, as they could break Lotus :whistle:

Definitely have a go Dave...its brill, and you'll be able to tell everyone from first hand experience how brill it is instead of rehashing other views. My reading of this thread is that many of us would pick one over the alternatives once it comes down into our budget....

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Gold FFM
...I guess it must only control the electronic aspects of the engine. Shame.

that's what I want to point out. As i think for real powerful and wide rpm-range you will need to control intake length, cam lift & timing and so on. An simple remapping for ignition & injection and rev-limiter is not enough. So there can't be real usable high rpm -as that was the question in the posting: *...why does it run out of rpm so soon..* But engine spec. of the 2GR-FE show an variable valve timing. So there is some potential to give more rpm-range and some more *max. rpm* (above the 7000 rpm limit). Lotus announced an more powerful version of this application as I've heard !? At least it is an short-stroke engine type.. .

I just don't understand why people are still comparing the Evora to the Esprit or the Elise/Exige... :)

.. The Esprit was the highest price car in the Lotus range of its time, and the Elise is based on the same chassis-technology. Think that's why the people (and so I) tend to think about in those ways. :whistle: Edited by G

[quote name='G

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

• Gold FFM

Hey JB, there is no problem with that -as it is the same way what Porsche does with its cars. I have seen the *book of optionals* some years ago -where you can order that every single part (even ventilation outlets..) get leather covering and so on. All for additional money :whistle: So after all, under those stuff it is all the same plastic as in every modern car. The point is if you're an manufacturer what you ask for it, or in what range of cars you want to place your offers as company. I can fully understand the thoughts about 3 year old Lambos and that type of option... . Get your new EVORA, use it 10 years an I will be the first who will make you an offer for it :)

With the forums having now merged I found this thread and have found it an interesting read - just had to comment on how we arrived at ownership on our Evora.

Looking for a second hand Esprit and stumbled on Project Eagle. Never driven a Lotus, not even seen the Evora in the flesh but a deposit was made before launch at BMS 09 (madness or just his midlife crisis in full swing). Thereafter we blew hot and cold on whether to take delivery or not - was this the right thing to spend

Deposit Paid 25.07.08

Delivery Date: 10.09.08

You say that you've never experienced any type of Lotus before the Evora, well a lot of owners on here, myself included, have had many years experience of Lotus cars and expect a certain level of driver involvement as a given.

We know already that it will go round corners and communicate well, whilst riding over the lumps and bumps of tarmac with suppleness. We'll be critiquing things beyond this – and rightly so.

Looks, naturally, are subjective but it just doesn't have the 'Wow' factor once you've looked past the novelty of it being new. Shallow? Yep, unashamedly. However it has to be a shape that makes you feel justified with your purchase at this price point.

Which brings us onto the rather sticky subject of cost. I, like many on here, am no stranger to spending such sums on a car of fancy. (Your assumption of the majority of not being in the position to purchase new is probably correct – there were over 5000 members on LEF, but even if only 1% of members ordered a new car the accountants at Hethel would sleep easier at night.)

The Evora, competent though it is, just doesn't appear to be value for money in this segment. At £60k it has me looking for reasons not to buy one and finding them very easily. At £40k it would have me wondering why there isn't one on the drive.

Good job these things are subjective and everyones opinion will be different.

I would buy an Evora tomorrow to replace the Exige S, if it was a year old. I could then afford it. I love the car, it's looks, the way it drives and the head turning that you get whilst in it.

I disagree with Grahams comment. Even at

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I'm coming from 2 elises and a 211 S/C and I was lucky to have a very long (nearly an hour) test drive.

Overall as above really - the car's handling is just another level above it's rivals from Porsche. Few minor niggles but none that couldn't be sorted easily.

Also I've been in a more recent car and I think some of the early cars had some quality problems with the interior but these seem much better on the customer cars.

The big problem for me is that you can't really get my two kids (with car seats) and swimbo in the car.

Oh, and the gearing is just too long - 2nd is good for 85 and it just doesn't suit a revvy N/A car even with a torquey one.