Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora modifications / Evora S? - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora modifications / Evora S?

MB1

Hi all, I have recently sold my Exige S and currently looking around to see what else is around. Evora is obviously on the potential list!

I am reluctant to dive into an Evora yet, as i'm sure a hot version will be released at some point. Clearly the current one is no slouch though! Anyone have any idea if this will happen, and when?

Also, has anyone started modifying their Evora yet in terms of power?

Cheers,

MB

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my money is on (as long as there's not too much hassle with the mechanism) that the convertible will be first.

The S will probably be a while yet - a year at least. The Evora has an estimated six year life so don't ecpect all the versions up front.

That being said I'm sure they'll be supercharged conversions soo - the engine is well known in the tuning community and there does seem to be a space reserved for the charger.

The question is that it's a whole new proposition modifying a 50-60k car over an elise thats 25-35.

• Gold FFM

The engine bay and various other bits have been designed with the supercharger in mind, in terms of packaging, cooling etc. I'm pretty sure the brakes have also been sized for the higher power output. Thank you Lotus! That's actually going to make it easier for the aftermarket guys to come up with an add-on solution, so that'll probably be available before the factory SC model.

It just needs an owner who is prepared to invalidate their factory warranty by sticking a blower in the back - wonder who'll be first? thumbup.gif

That would be you or me by the sounds of it biggrin.gif

I'd much sooner have a factory option though, but i'd imagine an Evora with 350 ish bhp would be perfection! I'd also bet that some of the aftermarket people are working in it now. Also, if it's anything like the Exige, Lotus will offer their own S/C upgrade for customers.

Thanks for the replies chaps, some useful info there.

I might actually try one this weekend - Westover Lotus are a stonethrow from me smile.gif

Edited by MB1

Don't get your hopes up - I can't see a factory SC pushing 350. The unit will most likely use existing Toyota Racing Division parts (in order to preseve the warranty from Toyota on the engines they sell) so expect a modest increase in headline bhp to about 330 but the low dow torque would be increased a fair bit too.

'Course aftermarket are free to do what they like and this engine is used with only moderate changes in very high states of tune. I fully believe Lotus's claims on the 400 bhp NA Evora type 124 racer and I'd expect that to be reliable (esp as it's targetted to endurance racing).

The gearbox is the only unknown as I can't find out too much information and I think it's a fairly new unit.

A light boost from a supercharger, some moderate cams and a shorter gearbox would give a car with some great performance stats and shouldn't be too hard or expensive.

Now if they were to consider an Evora RS... :detective:

Well i'd take 350-400 na bhp over a blower any day.

RE the factory S/C, I think any decent sized blower for a 3.5 V6 would be providing about 350. The blower I had on my S2000 (2 litre) was rated at 350, and to satisy the thirst of a 3.5 i'd expect a good sized blower and a chunk of power to go with it. Either way, as long as the S/C is there, there are pulley options!

I'd be most excited if they brought something close to the race car out though - a thing of beauty...

tn_Lotus_1-L.jpg

Edit - not sure why my image has gone right to the top - could a mod remove it?!

Edited by MB1

Well i'd take 350-400 na bhp over a blower any day.

RE the factory S/C, I think any decent sized blower for a 3.5 V6 would be providing about 350. The blower I had on my S2000 (2 litre) was rated at 350, and to satisy the thirst of a 3.5 i'd expect a good sized blower and a chunk of power to go with it. Either way, as long as the S/C is there, there are pulley options!

Me too - I love my 211 SC and the low down torque and supercharger scream is intoxicating but I still have a hankering for my old S2 190 with a tuned K series over 200bhp N/A. Maybe not as quick or as driveable but has alot of charm and character.

As for 350bhp - sure, that'd be easy to get but Lotus are going to be limited to what Toyota will allow both contractural and warranty wise. One of the reasons for the slow creap in the Exige SC power is probably Lotus have taken the sensible approach and when going outside what Toyota will warranty take small baby steps.

As such the Evora SC will be 320 maybe 330 at a push to start with as thats what already is proven to be reliable in other toyota installs.

The Evora manual gearbox comes from the Avensis diesel.

The 3.5 V6 engine has only been used with paddle shifts in the Lexus and Toyota cars in which it is or has been used.

Lotus engineered the connections. The paddle shifter version is due 2010 (with USA market in mind)

The Evora engine already runs with Lotus engine management and still carries the Toyota warranty.

The two different supercharged versions of the 2ZZ engine used in Elise/Exige variants are not Toyota engineered but are fully warranted and therefore we can assume that warranty will not be an issue with an upgraded Evora engine.

Since Lotus have for years developed engines for others and it has been claimed that up to 15% of engines in European cars have some Lotus input. GM Ecotech engines are a Lotus design, for example.

I don't think we need to worry about reliability and warranty. The engine in my 18 year old Excel is Lotus designed and built, has never been stripped down, repaired, failed, etc. and still runs perfectly.

• Gold FFM

Lotus have got a supercharged engine running on the bench and rumoured to be just north of 350bhp, which is apparently the output target for the SC Evora. Problem is getting it to meet future emissions regulations.

Aftermarket tuners don't have to hit all the emissions stuff but they do provide some form of warranty, so they'll still need to do development and reliability work before bringing something to market. The likes of KomoTec, Sinclaires/Katana and Rotrex did this with the Toyota engine in the Elise/Exige so I wouldn't be surprised if they did something for the Evora in due course.

• 1 month later...

Looks like KomoTec have been tinkering!

http://www.komo-tec.com/LOTUS-Evora/Performance-Kit-Evora/Phase-1-Evo-Ra-300::620.html

Shame they only got 300 bhp though, although improvements below peak bhp will be good too.

With all those mods it sort of suggests the engine doesn't respond well to tweaks. ECU work alone normally gives 10-15bhp on NA cars...

• Gold FFM

If you want to get into tuning I'd recommend Sinclaires in Romford - done a lot on the Toyota-engined Elises/Exiges and were interested in getting into the Evora. They do a lot of supercharger conversions too ...

HI guys

I have arranged to take my car to blueflame to let them develop an exhaust plus get mine for free. does anyone know were i can get it chipped.

Is that as a result of our thread on here?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

would be nice to know if the LOTUS factory sports exhaust gives any increase in power - does anyone know ?

The Sports Exhaust (over 160 sold already!) is a 5.7kg saving on the standard system. There isn't any power increase, the standard exhaust was already optimised for best performance and Lotus have seen an aftermarket claim for power increases from an exhaust which is real anyone so didn't expect the power output to change.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 1 month later...

I'm fairly sure the engine in the evora is subject to aftermarket supercharger in other cars so the kit is out there and if Lotus say there is space for a supercharger I can't imagine it would be too much of a job to fit. I'm surprised we haven't seen one yet. I know what you say about warranty but how popular woudl a super charged Evora be?

Probably in line with a few was planning on waiting for the S to come out, made the error of taking a test drive and got hooked. Am thinking to either go for the S version once released or see if it's possible to do a factory upgrade?

All reports seem to indicate a factory 's' version is still 18mths to 2yrs away. On that basis alone I'd get the current version bought. I remain surprised that people think this car is not fast enough. It is, in all situations, even if the long gears mean you have to use the revs. Mine seems to be loosening up a bit at 2500 miles of mixed driving and one trackday, more on which when I am not on my iPhone

the advantage of a normal one now and then upgrade later is you will still be in the same tax bracket as the N/A...

Be stunned if there wasn't an upgrade kit released at some point after the S has been around for a while.

As for 3rd party upgrades... I suspect a 50-65k car is a little more precious with warranty than a 25k tried and tested elise :(