Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
3.0 Jaguar V6 Duratec in S3 - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

3.0 Jaguar V6 Duratec in S3

Wayne,

Glad to see you are getting back on track with the project mate, The car will end up much better for it having the modern V6 and if it ends up looking andsounding anything like punkys you will have a very nice car. Looking forward to the up dates ;)

Regards danny

A

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Took delivery of the new engine today. animier.gif Came complete as discussed with the company. So first things first will be to junk all the aircon stuff and any other bits that are not needed, stick em on ebay and got some money back.

As per Punky's thread i have aquired a mondeo sump and oil pick up. The big clean will start to make the engine look nice and shiny.

Will try and get soem pictures when i get out there latter for a sort out.

In the meantime while i have been waiting for the engine i have been designing tha adapter plate. So here it is. I have drawn the adapter in full scale and i am 99.99999% sure its acurate but wont know till i cut a sample and instal it. The adapter was made using technical data that i had managed to get hold of for the engine and existing gearbox.

For anyone else who would be planning this conversion i am happy to post a full scale drawing to them once i have tested it and am happy that it is correct. smile.gif

drawing1.jpg

fantastic!!! i would love to have a full scale drawing... wouldnt it be easier if it was drawn on electronic "CAD" like file?

looking forward to this project

cheers

PP

Edited by USAndretti42
No need for quote of long, immediately previous post now, is there?

PP

Once i have confirmed its okay i can send anyone a copy. Unfortunatelly i dont have CAD at home. We have CAD engineers in my office but not for personal use and they are snowed under with other stuff most of the time.

PP

Once i have confirmed its okay i can send anyone a copy. Unfortunatelly i dont have CAD at home. We have CAD engineers in my office but not for personal use and they are snowed under with other stuff most of the time.

thanks

but you will eventually have to transfer that to some sort of electronic file to have it CNC out right?

very much obliged

Edited by pyropolymer

Not really any updates but here are a few shots of the new engine. As you can see it needs a good bit of TLC. There i some minor oil leaks that have been left and soaked the engien over time so i will address them befor the unit goes in. May even cut the adapter sample out tonight. See how i go for time.

Here you go

DSC01694.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

Typical car salvage place using an old seatbelt to pull the engine out. Not sure how they managed to break the dipstick head and the oil filler cap though! wallbash.gif

Also they had cut the main engine loom connector from the harness instead of unplugging it. Still i can renew it or use another when i do the engine managemnet. Been looking into engine managements and talking to alot of people.

May be going for an Omex 710 series which comes highly rated from one of the tuning companies who also do work for one of our companies.

Hi Wayne have a look at the Adaptronic ECU

Features

Standard ECU features

• "3D" Fuel and Ignition maps (as on any sophisticated aftermarket ECU)
  • Configurable ignition and injection outputs to suit different applications
  • Inputs for water temperature, air temperature, auxiliary temperature (eg turbo), manifold air pressure, throttle position, knock sensor, EGO (exhaust gas oxygen)
  • Outputs for four injector groups - allows full sequential injection up to 4-cylinders, or semi-sequential injection up to 8- cylinders.
  • Outputs for three igniter groups (four optional) - allows full sequential spark up to four cylinders and wasted spark systems up to 8-cylinders, or any conventional distributor systems.
  • Eight configurable auxiliary outputs - four of which are configurable as high current outputs, three of which are PWM capable.
  • PC interface
  • Field upgradeable firmware
  • Eight configurable auxiliary digital inputs
  • Datalogging via 'WARI' PC software

Special Features

• Adaptive fuel control - with configurable tolerances and loop gains, and conditions under which adaptive behaviour takes place
  • Narrow-band (factory EGO sensor) closed loop fuel control
  • High current programmable outputs - allows direct drive of solenoid valves for boost control, air bypass etc
  • Special function programmable outputs - allows control of anti-pollution purge valves, air conditioners etc
  • Open-loop and closed-loop idle bypass control - allows configuration of increased idle bypass amount based on low battery, electrical load, air conditioner, as well as correction based on RPM
  • Programmable for different crank angle sensor waveforms
  • Open-loop and closed-loop boost control
  • Traction control and launch control
  • Many other features

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/products.html

They cost AU$999. which is a fraction of the cost of Omex, DTA ect...... and as the name suggests they are adaptable..self tuning so no need to spend loads on rolling roads, the traction control is also variable.....

Engine starting to clean up well. Not bothering with the sump as i will be fitting the replacement Mondeo one once the engine is clean.

DSC01482.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

Now thats a scary site seeing that hanging there. All new territory for me with EFI. Not sure what i will be using from the old loom or if i will actually need anything?

DSC01486.jpg

Inlet manifold and wiring loom removed

DSC01487.jpg

Edited by wayneb911

Guest surferphil

I was playing with some CAD last year of the Jaguar (XF) V6 Bi Turbo Diesel engine. One turbo has a shut of valve which opens after the other is up to full pressure, ensuring a smooth power curve with much reduced turbo lag.

A crossover exhaust pipe bypasses the closed turbo. Interestingly both Turbos have equil size impellers.

I like this project a lot! :lol:

Have to say i hate cleaning engines. But i do like the results! Another can of degreaser and a toothbrush latter and its starting to look much nicer. The engine seems to be cleaning up pretty good so i wont paint it as i want the engine to look as if it was an original fit.

DSC01494.jpg

Mondeo 2.5 V6 sump and oil pick up fitted. thumbup.gif

DSC01495.jpg

DSC01493.jpg

Punky just wondered if you can clarify something on yours. The extra bolt for the bracket on the oil pick up? Mine didnt have a hole for it, presumably there was a bolt in there to as a blank but it would mean removing the tray to get it out. I dont think this needed to be done as it was solid and the bracket was not hitting so there wont be any vibration. Did you do the same?

So next job i think i will have to put my drawing into action and get the engine and box bolted together. Very exciting!!thumbsup.gif

Engine looks excellent Wayne. I agree, dont paint it. You'd never get it degreased enough to make it worth it. And after all, I dont know a paint that can keep itself clean!

Good work. I'm impressed at the complexity level of any of these transplant projects. I'm struggling just to keep things the same, even with notes, pics and parts manual to tell me what goes where.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Looks an amazing project!!! What material and thickness will you be cutting your adaptor plate out of??? And how do you go about getting that perfect line up for input shafts?????

Slegs

I am fairly lucky as i have had access to drawings which i have been able to work into one. I have actually attempted my first sample adapter. Unfotunately where i glued the drawing to the MDF i think it shrunk which sent it all out. Still i managed to work with it and it seems okay. Had a measure up and it looks good and acurate as well. I am hoping i will get away with just a 10mm adapter as Nigel did with his 2.5 conversion. The MDF is 10mm and i think i will be okay with this.

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01501.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

DSC01508.jpg

Also decided to reverse the inlet manifold so the throttle body will sit over the gearbox. Not sure there would have been enough room with it at the front of the engine. Even if there is by doing it this way it will give better access to pipework etc. Still need to give the manifold a proper clan as only removed the corrosion so far. Thinking of polishing it but i know how hard that is after doing the frame of one of my motorcycles. Would look good though.

DSC01514.jpg

DSC01516.jpg

Both manifolds off now. Need new studs for the downpipe attachments. Started cleaning one with the drill and a wire brush attachment. Think they will come up okay.

DSC01512.jpg

Still lots of cleaning to do but its looking much healthier!!

Spent a couple of hours in the garage while the missus and little one had a nap today.

Few better shots of the engine and box.

DSC01525.jpg

DSC01528.jpg

DSC01527.jpg

You can see where i will need to cut a piece out the Lotus bell housing.

DSC01529.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I see this project is now up for sale on ebay item: 120530838678

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Thanks Buddsy

With what im going through it didnt take much to come to the decision. There are far more important things in my life than this and who knows i will probably be back with another in time. I have been offered

I'm sure like everyone here, I am very sorry indeed to see you end this.

We will miss your efforts and enthusiasm.

You are right though, this is just a hobby. None of us should lose sight of that.

Good luck and hope to hear from you again soon.

Simon

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Wayne,

Gutted to see you are selling the lotus, like all the rest of the chaps on the forum we all watched your progress and change of engine plans aswell with much enthusiasm, seems like watching a good film and missing the end! would of loved to see what you would of done with the car, hope all works out for you and hope you do get another esprit in the future,

Wish you all the best regards danny

A

• 4 months later...

Wayne hasn't been on the forum for a while, he had some stuff come up in his personal life and sold the car.

Punky did the same conversion for his Turbo car, he had a plate made locally to him in aluminium (the plate is quite big so would you really want to add all the extra weight of a steel one?

The guy who made it didn't keep the template as far as I know, which is gutting as I would also be in the market for one but not for the Esprit.

big sigh, i was hoping to find a mazda sourced unit due to the power numbers they put out. what application are you thinking of? im guessing nobody has one of these adaptors ying around...oh and i wasnt hinking of doing it in steel :)

I guess you could use the Mazda option more easily than I. As mine would be front engined I have a bulk-head to contend with, if the parts of the Mazda unit are like the ford one and overhang the gearbox you can easily alter the boot floor area. Steel will be more than strong enough (depending on thickness) but ali is stronger for the given weight.

I guess there will be lots of places than can cur them out from a billet of ali / plate of steel. If you can accurately measure the centre of the flywheel and centre of the gearbox you can then just get the horizontal sorted and you're there. Punky mocked his up in MDF.

Are you planning to use the Citroen box? If no then does any other vehicle use the same box? If so try searching for a plate to fint a Duratech into that vehicle.

If planning to use the Citroen then you'll probably have to start from scratch.

Andy