Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
That smell of petrol - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

That smell of petrol

rogerch

On mine, the back of the engine bay (front of the boot) panel needs to be moved back away from the side panel. Some bolts to take out, so you can get the side panel out completely clearing the boot panel. I didn't have to remove the back panel completely, just pull back towards the rear of the car to get it away from the side you need to take out. Watch out for the seat belt inertia reel locking up at a very short length which makes things difficult. Just keep taking stuff off. Good luck,

Trevor

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I removed and refurbished my tanks... twice...

The first time I made the mistake of cleaning off the rust on the outside with glass beads, and not the insides. Later, despite my sealing all the tank openings before bead blasting, my fuel system got clogged by glass beads!!! D'oh!

After removing the tanks again and replacing the fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel filter, and pressure regulator... I used the POR-15 system for sealing my tanks.

I also repainted the outsides of my tanks with primer, paint, and then truck bed lining, and covered the tank seams with rubber u-channel piping. I also replaced the foam mats with closed cell foam sheeted with plastic.

detailed pics here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse/LotusFuelSystem#

here are most of the parts i had to remove!

P7220010.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks Travis those pictures are great. I got to spend about 45 minutes on it today which got me right down to the tank with side shrouding off, the only thing holding it in now is the balance pipe. I supose the next bit is where the fun starts, actually jiggling it out !

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

It's out, ready to go to the repair man in the morning, I must admit most of the time was spent "Do I really have to take this bit our as well" as with most of these nasty jobs when done for the first time.

You can't actually see where it's leaking from, it's just at the porus stage, but the foam stuff it sits on is well impregnated and sticks. I threw it out into the drive. (adjoining door from garage to house)

It's a bar steward of a job ! :w00t:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Phone call from the tank man this afternoon, "come and get it about mid day tomorrow" YIPEE :D

What a relief, and cheap, I got the new underlay today as well, for the tank to sit on, cut to size, non porous and under $10 another bargin. :angry:

Very, though I expect I would not be of the bill. :D

I'm dropping the other mount out to put the tank back in, I'm sure it will be worth the extra effort. If the mounts are in good condition you just don't get enough clearance dropping the one.

Well the tank's back in ! I removed the other engine mount first and the tank just about fell in so if I were advising anyone, it would remove both engine mounts and make your life esier.