Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus official engine upgrade? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus official engine upgrade?

Why would you fit upgraded injectors for simple map change on a N/A powered car.

Reeks of BS on that front alone.

You'd only need to fit new injectors if you were getting bucket fulls extra air - this would most likely need at least a cam change but more probable a new free flowing head *and* cams but even then I'd be stunned if the standard injectors couldn't cope with what is less than 10% extra power.

The other software option to increase bhp on a N/A car would be to up the rev limit... but you get this already with "sport" mode. I'd be interested to see the power graph with sport on and sport off to see if the evora is having breathing problems in the 6400-7000 "sport" rpm range. If the air is restricted then this won't help much at all (apart from wear the engine).

On N/A cars (and I have a post from Nick Adams on this very subject from the K series days) the engines are already pretty close to optimum - there's not much scope for improving things. You can turn each engine individually to extract every last bit but 2% would be your target there.

Did a bit of work using the posted graph from komotec and our results:

comparativa-komotec.jpg

Seems that max bhp is pretty much the same, but the komotec kit has more grunt in the low-midrange and reach max power sooner. I guess it's the ecu map that makes the difference.

Keep in mind that the DIN and EWG correction factor differs a bit, DIN gives a bit more power.

The complete exhaust graph is incomplete because we couldn't use sport mode on the dyno, but on the road the limiter was on 7200.

Seems the komotec stock car was a bit low on power over 6500 rpm.

About the komotec exhaust, it there a picture of the complete system? If i'm correct they leave the original manifold cats and remove the second one?

What is the diameter of the all the pipes?

Lotus are certainly saying nothing at the moment ref a factory upgrade for NA cars, but the rumours persist. They won't release a retro-fit supercharger for the foreseeable future - both they (and us, as Lotus dealers) would rather sell you a new S!

On the upside for current NA owners, I've just sold two new NA Evoras to be built towards the end of this year (to beat the VAT increase); both owners know the S is coming, but reckon the standard car - with CR box - is quite fun enough...so as the S will be quite a bit more money it won't hurt residuals or resale on current cars!

Cheers, Graeme (Murray Motor Company)

• 2 months later...

Hello @ all,

thanks for the answers.

@ Bibs:

Thanks aswell for your answer.

I did not think to get all of the changes retrofit into my existing Evora.

But the essential parts (the SC, the software-motor-management etc.) should not be any problem, whereas the new "S"-exhaust for example (with the louder racing sound) for me is not at all important, on the contrary, I´m happy with the looks and sound of the "twin exhaust" my regular Evora has.

I´m only interested in 350 hp instead of 280 and in the 400 Nm instead of the 350 Nm....

Greetings from Germany,

Alexander

Alex,

As Bibs has already said there a lot of additional changes to the 'S', most notably to the cooling system with twin oil coolers and the additional pipe work that runs down the bodysides that goes with them. There's also the different clutch plate and flywheel, plus to cope with the extra weight a slight adjustment to the damper setting, bushes and ARB. There's no reason why you couldn't simply buy the aftermarket supercharger with it's auxillary components and ECU update anyway, but I'd be wary of trying to get the power outputs the 'S' is putting out on a standard Evora without there being a detrimental affect on engine/transmission components. Now if you were to use the ECU to limit this maybe you could find a happy medium.

Good luck with your plans.

According to several insiders whom I spoke with at the recent LA Auto Show Lotus VIP preview (in conversation), I gathered the following data points:

1. No plans for Roadster convertible model Evora. -source: Annie Groom

2. No plans for upgrade of any sort for standard Evora -source: Kevin Smith, Dave Simkin

3. The SC on the S requires oil-coolers, which are not easily installable on the current model. -source: Dave Simkin

4. All stock in the 2ZZ have already been bought up and should last Lotus in producing current models through 2011. - source: Kevin Smith

Of course, to many current Evora owners, we were told differently at time of purchase, regarding the SC-kit.. Apparently, none of it matters much now!

Edited by Squidward

Hate to say it, but it does not seem that Lotus are paying much attention to the people that have bought into the Evora principle. I like many others was so dissapointed that there was not a natural replacement (price wise) for the Evora (but that's another thread).

I know that Lotus have been informed that customers of "standard" Evora's want a pack that will increase the bhp but looks like its not happening at the moment. Dissapointing that they do not want to generate more revenue from existing customers and keep them happy.

George

• Like 1

Justin,

With the Elan all of a sudden you are looking at a jump of 10-15K in price compared to the Evora. They are aiming the Elan at the 911 market where the Evora is based at the well specced Cayman S market and Evora S at the Cayman R. Therefore the gap got a little wider when looking for a replacement.

George

Forgive me if I am wrong but in current guise the Evora has a 5-6 year shelf life (to recoup project costs) and is proposed to sit between the Elise/Exige and the Elan. The new models are due over that 5-6 year period by which time the Evora would be due an engineering and/or styling change. Where's the problem?

Probably for another thread but the fact is - if someone said to you that couple of years down the line your replacement car jumps 10-15K you would not be jumping with joy?

Don't get me wrong I have owned a Lotus for a number of years from (S1 & S2 Elise) and love the marque, however come replacement time it may cause residuals to suffer if there is no natural "same name" replacement (although due to demand/supply like the Europa I think they will hold out very well). You do not see Porsche renaming their models do you?

Anyway - not point debating here and apologies for going off thread :blush:

George

Doulas i have to agree with you after being a out and out Lotus fan and buyer for many years and investing in their most expensive car from new i cant say im happy about the fact only a year later they completely revise the car and it costs the same as my LE version.

Lotus would do well to listen to current Evora owners and look at a upgrade package .

I for one am not particularly interested in a super charger but would gladly spend a small figure on an engine remap upgrade say to 300 hp after spending the additional i have on the sports exhaust which the car badly needed. Also the new Pirellis currently fitted to the S.

If this were available i would be quite happy keeping the LE for 4 years until something else comes out or my other option would be to get out of the car now and look at other marques for once.

• 1 month later...

Justin,

With the Elan all of a sudden you are looking at a jump of 10-15K in price compared to the Evora. They are aiming the Elan at the 911 market where the Evora is based at the well specced Cayman S market and Evora S at the Cayman R. Therefore the gap got a little wider when looking for a replacement.

George

Sorry, just spotted this. I'd say the Elan was an upgrade to the Evora, rather than a replacement. Bit like the Cayman to 911, so wouldn't be surprised with the price increase.