Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Failed MOT :( - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Failed MOT :(

Just failed my MOT on Hydrocarbons, they were 4000 ppm and also on the crap handbrake.

The garage reackons its due to unburnt fuel you can smell it, and that I have a misfire, They recommend that I change the dizzy cap first of all, and then maybe get the carbs balanced.

Has anyone got any ideas what else it could be?

Its a 1987 carbed Turbo.

The Handbrake I can hopefully sort out. first I'm going to wire the tell tale on it back up as the PO has disconnected it :)

Or can anyone come and help me? as I'm shooting in the dark on it.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Chris - come and see me next weekend. We can do the job, then throw it into my local for a ticket if you like.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Thanks Sparky, but can't do that the car is not road legal :) It has been SORN for 9 months. Only ok to Drive to test station

You are more than welcome to come to Darkest Essex, I'll even supply beer and food. It's my Birthday next Sat (21 again)

I'm going to go and get a new Dizzy cap and Rotor as the one I have has a crack onthe middle plug. Can I get one in Halfords?

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I'll get a dizzy cap and rotor arm tonight, I can sort the handbrake tomorrow (hopefully)

Do you reackon its the dizzy causing the problem with misfiring and unburnt fuel?

Would Sparky be classed as a pre booked place of repair?

Chris

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Nope it has the sameones on it but I'm going to look at them, I'll also check the timing.

Amateurs built the Ark

• Gold FFM

Don't think you'd get away with using me as your pre-book! I'm away until Thursday, but could try and book you an MoT for next Fri/Sat - that would cover you. You could detour past my house (less than a mile from the MoT station), we'll sort it out, then run it up. No worries if not, but the offer's there!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Thanks for the offer Sparky, I dont trust the car traveling that far at the mo. I'll try and get bits sorted tomorrow

I'll pull the plugs check the condition, check the leads, then the timing and then the dizzy cap.

Thanks for help

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

• Gold FFM

Chris,

Not much help I would be on non electronic ignition and carbs. But just wanted to say hello and wish you the best. Sure your quite frustrated at this point. Hope all finds you well and speak soon. I have tried a few PM's and they cannot be delivered. Fingers crossed for you.

Christopher

Hi Christopher,

Going to have a look today while the weather is good,

I've been meaning to PM you, will do it soon.

Thanks

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Run the engine in the dark, very dark, that way if there is any arching on the cap or the leads you'll see it.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Wouild the misfiring be due to timing ? as its 20 and should be 10, Just trying tio figure out how to move the dizzy its in a sod of a place

Amateurs built the Ark