Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Adjustable suspension - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Adjustable suspension

I have Spax adjustable shocks on my 89 SE. Have had them 10years... minus 4 years off the road.

They still feel good. I like them except for the front not going low enough. They are about 3mm high.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I've decided to sell, the money will help me buy some demo gear for the business.

Have no idea what I paid for them, don't know if they are still available.

As you see they are brand new and boxed so feel free to make a sensible offer! Not going to let them go too cheap!

Chunky Lover

• Gold FFM

Travis - although they don't list SPAX for 89 - did you use the parts for the S4 ( 92-96)? Do you remember what they cost you?

JAE is quoting:

- Lotus/Bilstein dampers are $560/pair, front or rear

- Lotus/Eibach springs are $219.00/pair, front or rear

Edited by Quikr

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

I just asked RD Enterprises for Spax for my 89SE back then...

Cost about $544 for all 4 IIRC.

Later I talked to Jeff at JAE about them, and I may have bought a replacement rear from JAE after one of mine started leaking due to being unloaded for a few months. Call Jeff at JAE.

Otherwise I would probably go with QA1 and make my own kit with adjustables...

Or maybe the Gaz double adjustables that Lucas has.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Asked 2 companies in the downtime I've had about these, they've not bothered to get back to me - funny, they must be too busy - I mean its not as if there is a recession on :getmecoat:

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• 5 years later...

I can't be the only one that wants to go over uneven driveways or car park exits without scraping the front spoiler. ( S3 Turbo Esprit )

Is there a bolt on kit to lift the front of the car up ( air shocks ? )

Just want to press a button on the dash. There's too many places I just can't go.

I was going to make a new topic for this but the " create new content " options don't seem to be working.

There is a TE with a bit of discussion on this forum, it had/has air suspension fitted. It's mainly set for that really slammed /maximum camber look when parked and rising to normal levels for driving, but the same method could be used for standard and off-road settings. Many years ago I had a Peugeot that had a button in the boot where the rear suspension would rise to help ground clearance (4x4 saloon, so guess it was to help with caravans on fields).

Hi Andy, Are you talking about this one ? http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/11/airbagged-and-out-there-the-low-lotus-featured/

I read somewhere he had to modify the control arms to make it fit. As soon as a mechanic gets hold of my car they have it for weeks.

I really thought this would be a common problem and there would be a bolt on solution by now.

Hi Glen that's the one. There is another option of remote controlled hydraulic suspension, which I think somebody has done on an Esprit.  Not an issue that I've seen lots of people having, or having done anything about. I've filled the air intake area with stones by entering a hotel carpark.

8 hours ago, krytensmeghead said:

I really thought this would be a common problem and there would be a bolt on solution by now.

Have you measured your ride heights? It's not a common problem at all. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

We do get the issue with a lot of driveways end entrances to some shops over here in Oz. Due to the cost of a fix, I have just decided to avoid those places. I can pick which ones I can get into now by sight.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

10 hours ago, Bibs said:

Have you measured your ride heights? It's not a common problem at all. 

Height of the front spoiler is 185mm off the road.

I don't know if that height is what it's supposed to be but the car looks level and not excessively low. It has the standard tyres - 195/60/15 front, 235/60/15 rear. The problem is the overhang - it's so far from the front wheels. 20150207_142448.jpg

Even at correct ride height, we're mostly f****d - at least here in Sweden. speed bumps seem to be dimensioned to reflect the ever growing popularity of SUVs, so soon I'll be driving my Esprits in a circle on closed circuits bordered by un-passable bumps. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Even at correct ride height, we're mostly f****d - at least here in Sweden. speed bumps seem to be dimensioned to reflect the ever growing popularity of SUVs, so soon I'll be driving my Esprits in a circle on closed circuits bordered by un-passable bumps. 

Same in my local area in Australia. Speedhumps or metal humps with (higher) anti-reverse spikes. I thought my Esprit SE was bad... until I bought a Ferrari F355. I complained to the local councils that my car has a legal road height (but the humps are bigger), but they put in some extra ones only a few weeks later stopping access to my local beach area.

1 hour ago, paul1972 said:

Well I thought I'd post a quick pic of the spoiler height and its set at the right right height !! so thats 70mm to the soft bit and 120 mm to the crunchy bit:ermm:

IMG_3426.JPG

You must have better roads over there. I doubt I could get out of my own drive way with that spoiler.

Some of our roads here have large crowns for drainage towards the gutters, which makes the transition from car park to road twice as bad.

Some speed humps are bad too. ( haven't tested them, just avoid them )