Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit, should I buy one? - Page 2 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit, should I buy one?

ahg

Since the world is supposed to end in 2012 (according to the Mayans), might as well do the Mad Max interceptor thing while you can! rolleyes.gif

Clutch in that supercharger !!!!!

Mad-Max-1973-Ford-Falcon.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear AHG

changed my mind - if you are going to buy a used M3 ,then rather buy a Lotus Esprit

chances are that both have been driven hard , the Lotus however will give you more joy and will be less expensive to maintain ......

The only downside with the Lotus is

a.can't play with the girl in the car !

b.cant transport more than one girl ( threesome stuff you know !)

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

See....SEE! Now look what you've all done!

He's going to commit cool suicide by buying a BMW!

I'd rather be seen on a bike with stabilisers...no, give me an Austin Marina anything other than a BMW!

Shame on you all for driving him to this! He's so depressed his brain has stopped working!

If you do buy the BMW don't forget the blacked out windows (so no one can see you) and the pink shirt and hands free earphoney thing.... ;)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

what wrong with a bimmer ?

I like those straight 6 engines, and performance (manually shifted !) is there enough. Fit a LSD in it and you have a good drifter and 'boy racer' if you add some other usual stuff there too... :unsure:

Even if a 3-series BMW is meant specifically to Turkish guys around here in Germany -there is nothing wrong with the car foritself !

Opel is meant for 'poor mans' and 'old farts' , Volvo is for the library man, VW for the daddy type of guy ....who cares about that all !

Drive what you can affort, and make the most fun out with it ...and by the way -you can have two girls in an Esprit next to you. It just depends on your talents for girls and the BMI you choose ;)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Both Paul & Anthony have it right, once you go down the road of BMW . you start sliding into a comfort zone of reliability, and fitting in with the masses who buy cars because of social profiling, { being accepted as no social threat to anyone, In other words no individual class } The next step is the bling kit to try and be different, but then you see another with the same bling, Typical of that type of motor,

Question 1

How many BMW's did you see today.?

Question 2

How many blinged up BMW's did you see today ?.

Question 3

How many ESPRIT'S did you see today { even blinged ones, if they exist }

The answers give the results , As an esprit owner you don't need to fit in with the crowd, you want to stand out from it, If the cost of this is expensive maintenance and some reliability issues, who cares we can take it , We own a british super car, an engineering icon. not a German mass produced comfortable , reliable , family saloon.

As Esprit owner's we are part of a select group of enthusiasts who appreciate the uniqueness of what we own.

I'll get off my soap box now,

Just passionate about esprits,

I was wondering if I do decide to buy a lotus, for example the link below. What kinda unexpected but most likely expense can i to run into provided I keep up with the fluid levels and everything?

Also, is there a reason I haven't seen even one listing with more than 50,000 to 70,000 miles?

Its a 1989 with 12000 miles listed at $18000. Although I can't pay more than $12k for this.

http://www.cars.com/...8705&aff=google

Edited by ahg

Ok - now we are getting to the point of acceptance.

proviso the vehicle has been checked by Dekra or AA ,the most important thing that really goes wrong , it the dreaded cam belt !

Remember that the AA report must be the expensive one as the finance report only checks certain things.

You can also ask a member of the Forum to accompany you to view one or two examples.

If you make sure one or two of those lovely girls that would fit into your prospective buy are in transit with you , I am sure you will get a queue of volunteers from the Forum.

Jokes aside , dont buy one without asking for help or without consulting the Forum - we are here to help one another.

Richard

ahg,

I am in the same boat as you -- mechanical engineering student. At this point I'm halfway through my undergrad studies. At some point I would really like to buy an Esprit if I can find the right one, but I have decided that I should wait till after I graduate to purchase. I don't currently have a car and can get along just fine without one for the next few years.

Whatever you decide to do, I highly recommend that you hop on the forums from time to time. Everyone on here is really great and you can learn a lot about the car before actually having one of your own.

Regarding the listing on cars.com -- I looked at this one a bit too since it is about 1.5 hrs away from me. It may be nothing, but the low mileage and non-standard wing may be points of concern. I emailed the seller some time ago but did not hear anything from him at all.

Best of luck in whatever you decide,

-Paul

Its a 1989 with 12000 miles listed at $18000. Although I can't pay more than $12k for this.

Herein lies the problem. No offence mate, but you can't afford one by the looks of it. After you've spent the $12k, how much have you got left over for maintenance? An average Esprit will cost you $2k on a quiet year, $7-10k on an expensive one if not more. If you, like many other owners buy it then can't afford to maintain it the car becomes neglected and your initial investment worth little.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

An Esprit is only really doable IMO if you have the money to spend on it AFTER you have bought it!

I spent a bit of time on the forums befor I got mine and thought I was prepared...but was not prepared at all and my god have I had a steep learning curve. However its been fun learning, I feel I know the car really well (having had most of it taken off and replaced) but without some spare cash the car would end up neglected....which it was 10 years ago before someone rescued her and put her back on the road.

Suggest an Elise as an ideal first Lotus...my outgoings have been just maintenance, petrol & insurance, its given me the Lotus buzz and I finally got an Esprit some 8 years later once finances allowed.

You have to go into Esprit ownership with your eyes and wallet open!

Dear AHG,

Where do you live in California?

If you are near Los Angeles, then I might be able to help you with some of the scary issues that the other listers are warning about. I also have had lots of experience working on my 2 esprits (94S4 and 85TE). I have a special efffects studio where I am able to do complete auto work (have rebuilt the esprit engines many times there). It you want to buy an Esprit, you're welcome to bring it to Pasadena and I will help you do a cam belt change...a must-do no matter what the previous owner says, unless he has the receipt to prove that it was done in the last couple of years (belt, new pulley, and check the hoses, replace other time-aged items that get brittle like the motor mounts, etc) Parts for an age overhaul, provided there are not any major issues with the car should run less than $300-$500 from JAE. That should keep you going for a while, also while the engine is out might as well put a new clutch in along with shaft thrust bearing/nyla washer.

My 85 TE (in my avatar picture up left) was my only driver off and on through the 15 years I've owned it and I felt totally happy with that, even when I had to occasionally fiddle/repair it. If you are handy with a wrench, and do your own simple repairs, then pay me in pizza or other for the more "unusual" repair items, I'd be more than happy to offer my help! :thumbdown: You will find that being an Esprit owner tends to create an enthusiast out of you, and we have plenty of guys here in the LA area who love to hang out together, fix the cars, go on spirited drives, etc.... If you want help with the pre-purchase inspection, I'd love to take you there in my wife's 94S4, and you can get a feel for what a properly sorted out car can do... that way you will be able to properly evaluate if the car you are looking at is a good driver, or if it has problems.

One thing I'd personally stay away from is the Bosch injected cars (88 through 90 or so) as they tend to be fiddly, and there is not much available to do to change performance for the better. I have seen some beautiful SE's on ebay recently, and I personally think that the white cars look mean and stunning. That might be the way to go.

Feel free to give me a call anytime at (951)206-9156 (anyone reading this, feel free to as well if you want to chat)

All the best,

Paul Wendling

No offense intended, but one would be delusional to think you're going to buy a 20 year old Esprit as your first Lotus and use it as a daily driver with no backup vehicle.... :thumbdown:

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

The best way to go, if you're on a budget, and to feel safe if you ever needed to get anywhere is to also buy an auction clunker you can keep at home for emergencies... In today's economy, our car auction site here in Sun Valley consistently sells cars for about $300, mostly the old, unwanted vehicles like Chrysler minivans, old geo's, hyundais, etc..... Cost of the car (even giving the benefit of the doubt) $500; registration, less than $100; cost of liability insurance, especially if there already is 1 car for every driver on the policy could be as little as a couple of hundred dollars a year, buy basic new tires( as used ones are usually shot) $300....... Now, I know that things are different in EU regarding taxes and fees, parking space, ect....

So, you are under a grand, and you now have a backup car for worry free Esprit driving on a budget..... better yet if you only go local, get a moeped, and really save $$

If people naysay after you do this, then I think they have somehow lost the feeling of utter exhiliration....... no matter how often it breaks down, just the memories and expectations of spirited canyon runs keeps you dreaming of the "Next Run" and looking forward to getting bac k behind the wheel..... just turn on the ignition, and all those wretched memories of repairs and bills seem somehow to just fade awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy........................................................

Paul

94S4

85TE

There you are old cock - Paul is well experienced and has given you the ideal opportunity to shop around !

Go with him , look at the cars and I am sure you will come out smiling ......

Keep us in the loop .

Richard

Paul, I wanted to Thank you for all the advice and your offer . I guess what I've decided to do instead is to settle for a really cheap car for the next 2 years until I have a steady income to maintain Esprit.

These next 2 years I will be doing my rotations and after that I will start my residency when I start getting paid. I live in Sacramento and I've saved your number. I will be hollerin' at you when I get my first pay check.

Also, I've noticed most of these cars are located in LA area. So it will be easy to find a good car with your help.

Once again, Thanks for your help.

I was wondering if it was possible for a student like myself to be able to maintain the car in terms of expenses.

no.

:)

(come back in 5-10 years when you have expendable income and no kids, or in 30 years after raising your children)

nice thought - but no.

Ok, give me a call anytime... This offer also is for anyone else who wants to as well! (951)206-9156

By the way, I've got kids, and when our daughter, Sienna Sky was born, we picked out a Peg Perego car seat that color matched Julie's Calypso red 94S4..... It's all in the attitude and what you enjoy.......... let your wishes be tempered by the responses on the net, and when you're finally out of residency and the exhausting hours, you will have something super fun to look forward to!

All the best,

Paul

ahg,

I am in the same boat as you -- mechanical engineering student. At this point I'm halfway through my undergrad studies. At some point I would really like to buy an Esprit if I can find the right one, but I have decided that I should wait till after I graduate to purchase. I don't currently have a car and can get along just fine without one for the next few years.

Whatever you decide to do, I highly recommend that you hop on the forums from time to time. Everyone on here is really great and you can learn a lot about the car before actually having one of your own.

Regarding the listing on cars.com -- I looked at this one a bit too since it is about 1.5 hrs away from me. It may be nothing, but the low mileage and non-standard wing may be points of concern. I emailed the seller some time ago but did not hear anything from him at all.

Best of luck in whatever you decide,

-Paul

You strike am an ideal candidate to buy one now that you can spend from now until you graduate getting it into tip-top shape. You don't need a car now so you don't have to buy a great example, just one that's a bit tired but not so bad that til would take for ever to make decent. That way, when you can afford to run it, you have a good car that you know well and can trust and are good to go.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

As Baloo the bear says in Jungel Book (when referring to women!!) “Stay away from them, they aint nothin’ but trouble”, the same could be said for far to many Esprits.

I wanted a Lotus from the age of 11 and when I got my first job, my Esprit came very quickly after.

There were no Lotus Forums then and no Interweb thingy (shows how old I am!) but when I saw the S1, nothing was going to stop me having it……Lotus tinted spectacles!

It cost me more in the first year of ownership than it did to buy it.

However, I still have it and that has got to say something about the hold that these cars have on you.

My advice…..

If you like Esprits now and you would love to own one then in a few years from now when you can really afford one then you will love them even more. Once your hooked, your hooked.

As the other guys have said, its not buying one that’s the problem, its keeping it going.

Since the cars are GRP they will always tend to look better than another car of the same age and you must not let that fool you.

If someone was buying a basic run-around car that was cheap to buy and cheap to maintain then they would have probably gone through two or three of them (as they became less reliable) in the life time of the Esprits you are considering. Depending who has owned it the Esprit may have had just as hard a life as those basic run-arounds had but its hidden under that awesome shape.

In summary, hang off for a few years and put some money away. Buy the very best car you can afford with a very good service history…. And even then, be aware that it could bite you for a VERY expensive bill in the first week of ownership. Make sure you have the ability to pay for that.

There is nothing worse than looking at an Esprit that’s facing a big repair bill if you cant afford to pay for.

You cant drive it because its broken and you cant sell it because no one wants to buy a car like that with a big problem they have to put right.

And finally, don’t be put off.

You wont be disappointed when you do eventually get your Esprit.

I have owned my S1 now for 26 years (cant be too many of us that have had continuous ownership for that long!) and it still gives me mega grin factor when I look at it, never mind drive it.

Esprit = Awesome car :) …. “Good Great things come to those who wait”

You don't need a car now so you don't have to buy a great example, just one that's a bit tired but not so bad that til would take for ever to make decent.

This is right up my alley, I would really like to find a project car, problem is I can't find one that needs work but not too much. All I see online lately are overpriced so-called "garage queens" that potentially have many more problems than they're worth.

I did find a rolling body in Texas that is quite interesting. The only question is finding a replacement engine or suitable swap engine, also the interior is in rough shape. I definitely wouldn't mind doing the work, but all these things to sort out potentially raise the cost quite a bit.

Hey there,

I'm a student with a lotus esprit !

but i decided to buy a project car which i can slowly restore. Because insurance costs are soo high, i thought at least i'd take the free time i have now and invest it on fixing up the car and then when i'm old enough to get insured it will be ready and i'll also be able to afford the running costs . But then again i paid 2,000 str for mine and Malta is quite cheap when it comes to labour.Infact my mechanic is charging me 1,000 euro's in labour to re-do the suspension and rebuild the engine and gearbox, but on condition that he'll work on it in his free time. And this is a guy that works on ferrari and porsche.

My suggestion is - if you really want an esprit , then keep an eye out for a good one at a decent price, take the free time you have now to restore it slowly and buy a piece of crap car to drive round everyday. LEW supply bumper stickers saying 'my other car is a lotus esprit'! so you'll be driving round letting everyone know you've got urself an esprit!

Vin

Vin Taylor