Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora on Track - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora on Track

Justin182

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe footsoldier has had his car out at Knockhill. He bought Graeme's demonstrator.

Edited by bingoking

Not done a trackday as such but have done 2 driver training days, the most recent last monday at millbrook on a CAT perforance driving day.

An hour practicing braking techniques on the mile straight - braking very hard from 120 was a revelation! The brakes are just unbelievable when you really start to use them.

I have been scaring a few friends this last week whilst perfecting threshold braking approaching roundabouts.

Tyres- keep an eye on them - the soft rubber gives loads of grip but I would think 2 or 3 (at most) trackdays would see off a set of tyres.

Steering - depending on what you are used to, the steerimg is very light amd sensitive. Be gentle, but if you think you are running wide, or a bit too hot, have faith in the car.

When you get into the groove, the handling is unbelievable - very smooth and well balanced.

Finally make sure you have a full tank - I used a whole tank and averaged 14.4 mpg so that's you target!

construction and property consultants : My company

Interesting Paul, thanks ;)

I'm dying to get mine on track, but want a dry day. WTF is going on with our 'summer'?

Strangely I've found on my day to day driving, the brakes don't feel quite as sharp as I remember for the test drive? Should I have 'run them in' in a certain way.

Purely from memory I remember something about no hard braking for first 200 miles or so until everything bedded in. I think that was a verbal instruction. I followed that religiously and all I got for my trouble was squealing brakes at light loads although fine at high loading.

The handbook says on P92 "Allow the brakes to bed in by avoiding needless heavy braking for the first 100 miles. Thereafter the first time the brakes are used aggressively, some loss of brake feel may be evident as the brake pads undergo a final conditioning phase. After the brakes have cooled, full brake performance will be restored. Both the brake pedal and the gear change efforts are likely to reduce during the running in period"

There is a posting somewhere in the relevant section about AP Racing's (The manufacturer) recommended way to bed brakes in. Involves a lot of relatively high speed braking to almost stopped over short period. Opposite of what I did almost. Was going to try it out some time when I had the time to indulge - and it was dry. An almost impossible combination these days.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Interesting, as my warranty says:

"2. INTENDED PURPOSE: The Evora is intended for use as a road going passenger vehicle. IT IS NOT DESIGNED OR INTENDED FOR USE OFF ROAD, INCLUDING ON CLOSED CIRCUIT TRACKS OR FOR USE IN A COMPETITIVE MANNER, INCLUDING TIMED LAPS OR RUNS. ANY SUCH USE WIL INVALIDATE THE NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY. Using the car on track or in a competitive manner will cause a greater degree of wear and tear to components than normal road use." (Their capitals not mine!)

Also under section 8:

"If the vehicle is used for commercial service, on or off road, including on a track, whether in a competition or otherwise, or for racing or reliability trials, or in a competitive manner, including timed runs or laps."

How is yours now worded that you think track days are okay? It is all these dire warnings that partly keeps me off track not that I have had a chance yet anyway even if I had wanted to.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Go carefully! I had planned to do an airfield day in advance of taking it on a track but ran out of time so could only make the track day.

Around 10th lap pushed a little bit too hard and put it into the barrier :thumbdown: - no serious damage but rather inconvenient! Will get a driver training / airfield day in before the next time to get a better feel for the car. Be warned parts take an age to arrive!

Interesting, as my warranty says:

"2. INTENDED PURPOSE: The Evora is intended for use as a road going passenger vehicle. IT IS NOT DESIGNED OR INTENDED FOR USE OFF ROAD, INCLUDING ON CLOSED CIRCUIT TRACKS OR FOR USE IN A COMPETITIVE MANNER, INCLUDING TIMED LAPS OR RUNS. ANY SUCH USE WIL INVALIDATE THE NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY. Using the car on track or in a competitive manner will cause a greater degree of wear and tear to components than normal road use." (Their capitals not mine!)

Also under section 8:

"If the vehicle is used for commercial service, on or off road, including on a track, whether in a competition or otherwise, or for racing or reliability trials, or in a competitive manner, including timed runs or laps."

How is yours now worded that you think track days are okay? It is all these dire warnings that partly keeps me off track not that I have had a chance yet anyway even if I had wanted to.

I have the same wording in my handbook!

Hi all,

It was me on the ring on this Monday. The warranty says "no TIMED" lap. You can go on track, but not to "race" the car on it.

My dealer was on track with his Evora (Spa) and he invites me to go on track, so no problem with the warranty on track if no lap timer.

Myka

Edited by Mykadams

Hi Bibs,

Yes the car is amazing on this track. Quite easier than my ex-Europa SE or 211 on fast corners ! Brakes are still ok after a few laps. Better reactions on bumps, the rebound is excellent.

Need a bit more HP, but it's the same for every car, especially there. You can go on the brakes really hard, really late in the corner, you put the noose anywhere you want, the rear slides slowly, you can feel it and play with, excellent !

I really love this car !

I guess they did a fair amount of testing there so that's good news. What sort of speeds were you seeing along the back straight?

Any other cars offer any competition, there were some serious trackday weapons around and watching Caterham R500 Superlights on slicks was quiet something!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

My warranty doesn't read like that. Unless I've read it wrong. I'm sure it says something along the lines of 'no timed laps, however track days are ok'

Don't have it to hand but will dig it out

Ok I've found it but I'm on my phone so won't quote it word or word, but it says

Timed or competitive use is not allowed

Lotus recognise that owners may wish to use their car occaisionally on track, and this type of usage must be accompanied by driver training and a vehicle inspection. Part number LSL520b

which is interesting as all the parts on that scan Bibs that are recommend fitting for competition use relate to the exige - chassis brace = toyota subframe, toe links, oil coolers (not additionally available for the evora) and accusump. not at all obvious that the letter relates to the evora and rather jars with the repetition in all the owners manuals that track use invalidates warranty which are numerous:

Page 12 of the main manual Driving controls / technical data / warranty book is quite explicit, wording posted by Al. This is repeated in the separate warranty booklet page 5, section 2, 'intended purpose' and is very explicit.Furthermore, Section 7, page 9 "obligations of owners' goes to relinquish obligations under warranty "if the vehicle is used for commercial service, or off road, including on a track, whether in a competition or otherwise, or for racing or reliability trials, or in a competitive manner, including timed laps or runs"

All of which is total c*ck of course for a car which is 1) a lotus, a company which offers track based driver training in it's own products and 2) has plentiful advertising relating to it's track prowess including dealers showing top gear and 5th gear reviews on looped tape and much footage of the car pounding round Hethel

I shall formally ask for clarity as it would certainly influence my decision about taking the car on track.

...and this one, a factory car driven by Matt Becker at the Lotus only event at the ring last year!

Nurburgring2009077.jpg

I saw the blue Evora there on Monday, as I was on the closed Bookatrack day (I was in an S2000 though as i've sold my Exige)

Was your car there for Lotus press photography??