Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Smoother gear changes - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Smoother gear changes

I know this has been gone over many times.

I have replaced the translator bearings etc, But still the gear change is quite notchy. I know you can replace the fittings on the gear stick end. But how smooth is the gear change on a properly set up car?

Could I expect to get it as smooth as my Prelude which is pretty clicky like a rifle bolt. Would lubeing the cable shelp?

Thanks Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please forgive my question : have you done things in order, that is have you replaced the G/B oil ? Nobody does it so on a '88 car with probably 65K miles on it or more, it usually makes a difference !

Edited by troutrou

• Gold FFM

Come and try mine - voted 'Best Gear Change' at the 2009 Dave Freeman Lotus Extravaganza. :D

Once you've tried all else, it's all about adjustment. And although the Lotus spec is normally spot on, it sometimes needs a little fine tuning on individual cars.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

i'll replace the fluids,

Sparky, your just showing off ;)

I find that my translator is well of the lotus spec otherwise I get reverse and no 5th or 5th and no reverse :(

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I have replaced everything including the gearbox oil and front and back mechanism. I took photos before dismantling but the setup looked nothing like the manual. I have tried a number of times to get a smooth gearchange but with no success. Infact the boot floor is still loose just in case I am tempted to fiddle again. I did notice when changing the clutch slave cylinder that the clutch adustment was at max, far more than the manual states. It could just be that the clutch is on the way out in which case the gearchange will be bad, particularly when the car is hot. A job for the winter!

The box is inherintly knotchy - my GT3 is OK but the GT2 is a bit of a handful.

On the left side (passenger side) cable entry ensure the cross shaft is not able to bend, it should have a support bearing on but a lot of cars have it missing - very important.

When you strip the bugger down you can bench test it and it's still knotchy - that is to do with the springs, the cuts in the selector shaft and the ball locators - some people I have hear radius off the cuts in the selector shafts so the ball rolls into place easier.

It's a bit hit and miss and you really need 2 pairs of trained eyes to assess what is happening front and rear end.

Keep them peeled for a kit I will (should be) making soon where I hope to make a correct stainless jacking screw for the rear translator along with a lht rod end joint, this will make the adjustment a LOT easier.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• Gold FFM

Mine is the exception that proves the rule - no support, but lovely gearchange! Let's see how long it lasts.

The GT40 has a UN1 box, but shafts instead of cables. Great shift.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Come and try mine - voted 'Best Gear Change' at the 2009 Dave Freeman Lotus Extravaganza. :D

Once you've tried all else, it's all about adjustment. And although the Lotus spec is normally spot on, it sometimes needs a little fine tuning on individual cars.

Go on, give us clue. It's a bit expensive to ship mine over for you to adjust, and it whilst it's not bad it could be better (I think)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Some are, you have to work though the thing loigically and observe where the play is.

Start by clamping the rear end so it cannot move and observe the play in the gear lever / translator, then move to the back and observe - once the setting is right the travel doesnt have to fight itself ofr try and move the level diagonally and that results in a smoother change.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Not all "older" UN1 Esprits have a bad gearchange ... my 1989 SE shifts like butter ! The gearchange is just great.

Honestly its better than the 2001 V8 which actually is more notchy :(

Sabine

• 3 weeks later...