Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car

Yes Phil wouldn't be without him as extra hands always helpful, he has already declared it his when he can drive.....

The fibreglass repair is now complete before the cold weather arrives, plan to do the filling when I prep for paint in the spring, also gives the repairs plenty of time to settle. Did that 6" crack in the floor area I found when first stripping the car down so hopefully that is it.

post-10978-0-75205700-1319571036.jpg

Need to start on my Excel now so going to put S1 on hold until weather improves again and lighter evenings, will keep sourcing parts though to give me motivation to crack on in 2012.

Got my centre caps this week which fit like gloves and great quality, need some badges now.

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Been a slow winter but went Beaulieu for my birthday and gained some inspiration after seeing the 'bond in motion' show, shame 'cars the star' museum never loaned their bond cars to complete the line up though....

post-10978-0-20899700-1336161152.jpg

My body shell is booked in on the 14th May to have all the paintwork done, expect it to be gone for approx 12 weeks which will give me time to finish the chassis and engine before its return, I need to crack on as have a Triumph Bonneville to rebuild too before the summer ends.

• 9 months later...

Hi Everyone

The S1 may have to go due to a change in circumstances and lack of time to donate to the project hence why I have not been updating the topic.

I have made some progress like rebuilding the carbs, oil pump, water pump etc and fitting of new oil cooler hoses and some other minor parts.

The car is preventing access to my garage and preventing me using my motorcycles which is my other passion, my wife is also about to start riding after buying her a bike for her 40th birthday which is also trapped in the garage.

Really not sure what to do but know I will regret letting her go after doing all the hard work and spending god only knows how much money. :no

• 8 months later...

Decided to complete the S1 and have been busy over the past couple of months revisiting the chassis making improvements and getting the red cellulose paint off the shell.

The paintwork although carried out to a good standard would cause loads of problems later if just flatted back, primed and the coated in 2 pack. To do by hand took about 100 hours which was a nightmare, although not complete I have broken the back of it.

Bad news for me is the body shop has let me down for the fourth time so took some pics yesterday and went hunting, I have two people coming to view during the week so fingers crossed...

post-10978-0-65228400-1385217550.jpg

Doesn't look to pretty at the moment though!!

Yeah cheers Mike, don't see to much of a problem as the shell is good and almost star crack free, the painter blisters were only in the top coat of red and quickly disappeared so seems it was just a paint reaction issue, thought I had osmosis to get sorted which would have been very expensive.

I have no idea what to expect from the quotes mind???

Would like it back on the chassis by Xmas but that maybe a tall order although cool if it happens!

This is my first look at this thread, superb work!!

Takes me back to when I did a body off restoration of my first ever Lotus Esprit back in the late eighties. Keep the good work up.

Regards Mike

I did the body of on a Gold S2 V reg funnily enough its reg was MPW81V  not to be confused with the prototype I bought to replace it registered MPW71V. The Chassis tube by the exhaust had a couple of pin holes on the underside by next to the vertical bracket for the rear trailing arm bush.

Yes still after rear shelves do you have some?

Cheers Mike

Mike

That reg rings a bell, I have a horrible feeling that was the S2 I broke up, I will see if the plate is still in the garage as remember stumbling on it a while back, may have binned it though. The car was gold but had be totally abused by the previous owner who removed the join line and painted it hand in luminous green which was on everything including the tyres, glass, bumpers etc.

Hopefully I am wrong...

I defiantly have one shelf as saw it in the loft, I think the other one is in the garage somewhere, I will hunt them out and take a pic, both had the carpet attached I think.

Dave

Hi Dave,

It cannot be the same car. The car was in good condition except for the chassis tube I restored body of shot blasted the whole chassis repainted it all new bushes etc. A German chap bought it and exported it to Germany. He looked at 7 before buying MPW81V.

I am very interested in your rear shelves as the previous owner removed them and they got lost in his electronics workshop. 

Cheers

Mike

That is good news at least, hopefully Angus can confirm which one it was, I am must have MPW on the mind after seriously considering 71V!

I will turn them out this week Mike and get a pic posted.