Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Evora - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Evora

Sijaro

Hi,

New to the forum and previously a Porsche Boxster owner. I'm thinking of making the jump to Lotus in the shape of an Evora, particularly given the rave reviews. I'm aware that Lotus has had some issues in the past but do you feel they have been addressed? Interested to hear what people feel are the biggest challenges for Lotus in the future?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome - The current Evora's have addressed pretty much all of the issues seen on the launch edition cars as you would expect although if you're being really picky you could still fault the gearchange and perhaps the interior, but you'd have to be really picky. The cars are getting all these good reviews and winning so many awards because it really is that good, really. If you're after an amazing drivers car, go buy one :D

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Just been out for an hour in a demo Evora S. Excellent! No rattles, squeaks or crashes and bangs!: even the revised Sat nav seemed to work easily and do the necessary job. I thought the gear change felt much improved: more precise and a better action. I actually thought the quality was good, and a very nice place to be. In my opinion much better than some other brand names

In terms of performance (I was to be fair taking it fairly steady given the mileage and road conditions) it had loads of get up and go: and just kept 'going'! Very easy to drive quickly and really cover the ground. As always amazed how on the 'c***' road surfaces it just dealt with them: never seemed to be phased.

Only down side was that even with the sport button in the 'on position' it didnt howl the Exige did with a 2bular: however with the reaction of others I suspect it did outside! Will probably get better with age as well.

I can certainly see why the journos are giving it such great reviews: I loved it

Sijaro,

I'm another owner who thinks it's marvellous and worth every penny, but make sure you decide on the gearbox that suits your needs. They are different! All the mag reviews and tests are with the CR box and that's the one for enthusiastic drivers. But for a GT driver, with long distance and fuel consumption in mind, perhaps the standard one would suit. The Sport option is a near essential in my view, and the sport exhaust very desirable.

If you are going for the "S", you get all those as standard - lucky b.........! But the non-S is a great drive too, especially in the top half of the rev range, which is highly usuable - after running in of course.

Hi Sijaro. I too went from a Boxster S to an Evora over a year ago and got a LE car and I agree with all the comments here so far. Be sure you get the car that you need. i.e. Unless you actually have a use for the back seat forget it completely (I have a 2+2 and would never do again) Get the box that suits your overall use. I have a LE car so no choice and the standard box not the CR but then it doesn`t hang around when pushed as some other forum members will attest to, but gives a quieter and more economical ride on longer drives if not pushing on. Car is very relaxed on the motorway in cruise control. If I was choosing now saying that I`d go for the CR for what I do. TBH there is not that much in it for much of real motoring. I believe the current sales ratio is 80/20 on 2+0/2+2 (perhaps cost driven as well) and the same for CR/Standard. I backfitted the sport box and it actually changes in note after about 1K miles so depending on the dealer Demo age you may not have heard the full effect yet but it is very pleasing and the same forums members I mentioned earlier will also say it fairly screams at 6+K down the outside of traffic overtaking! 2 of them were Evora drivers with sports exhausts and hadn`t heard another one out under full chat! I find it a good balance and if not loud enough - drop the window! My neighbour with a Boxster RS with the exhaust valve thing knows the before & after with mine, and says I am now louder than him. He now hears me at least 2 streets away where before I blended in. (This is not always a good thing!)

Fit and finish now is light years away from my early car so should not be an issue. Maybe still not at Porsche level but damn close. However don`t buy an early second hand one would be a general bit of advice. The newer Sat Nav is much easier and sharper than the old one. Not to mention getting much better radio and sat signal.

What do I miss about Porsche Boxster? Obviously the top down motoring. I didn`t think I would so much, so factor that in. The luggage spaces are not nearly so practical and that is assuming you will use the back seat area. Without that area no comparison. Heated seats in my early one. S has them I see. Leather is bloody cold in winter and it is more for a quiet life from SWMBO than for me. Possibly tyre life! Factor in half the life approx and more expensive if stay with OEM. See Evora section for more. Being able to get in and out! It is not a big deal but definitely more agility required and again I have a SWMBO whinging. Apparently not so easy with a skirt on! The old boy next door isn`t complaining though!

What don`t I miss? The dealer! Lotus in Edinburgh at least, have been excellent and no complaints. Very accommodating.

As far as I can see depreciation and servicing etc. will be approximately the same.

A good bit This Forum! It has been a godsend and a fantastic resource and there is a completely different feel to being part of this "family" Nothing like Porker ownership at all. I had a heavily loaded Boxster in a bright colour yet this car gets literally 1000% more attention when parked. Attention of the pleasing kind from all age groups and sexes. That is maybe not everybody`s cup of tea however.

The best bit? The driving! Even on my first day still running in on roads I knew well and on my local test route I could feel the agility and braking of the Evora was well ahead. I was happy as a test drive with dealer sitting there is never the same! A year later and becoming more comfortable with pushing on I now know I can leave any Boxster S for dust even if a nutter like me was driving. My neighbour keeps trying though!

Go for it!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

I would echo a lot of what has already been said and add that a there were many changes made to the Evora earlier in 2010 based on feedback from LE and Company car owners. Simple things such as foaming the door panels before leathering them to improve the feel and build quality. Additional brackets to the front and rear bumpers and improved gear linkage etc. Even though these changes were made a while ago they've only just be noted by the Press due to the launch of the 'S'.

If you're planning to buy new my personal recommendations would be Sport and Tech Packs (plus camera) are a must, Premium Pack is down to personal preference but I don't think a necessity and I prefer my standard Black Leather and Cloth interior. I also went with the Standard Gearbox and has already been said if I were doing more track days etc the CR Gearbox maybe a better bet. Although the 1st & 2nd gears are the same in both, it's the 3rd that comes into it's own in the CR box, but bear in mind you can do 70mph in 2nd! The standard box does give you slightly better economy, on a recent trip to the Nurburgring I managed to top 40mpg en route to Folkestone, once in Europe it dropped a tad due to some enthusiastic driving. Overall, getting 30-32mpg is pretty normal for me which is bonus.

I went for 2+2 and find it very handy as I have an 18month old who is happy in the back. I've also given my sister (who is petit) a lift without compaint, although she had to sit side ways.

It's fantastic car to drive, being refined and quiet but still able to get round a corner like my old Elise, the only thing I miss is being able to whip the roof off.

As for the biggest challenge that Lotus faces, it's getting people into an Evora to show them how good it is, it doesn't seem enough that it has won pretty much every Motoring award going and had no negative press reviews.

Interesting reviews!

I'm still enjoying mine, but disappointed the roadster won't be coming out now as I was planning to change up to it. Can't really justify changing to the S, as I'd probably pick exactly the same spec I have now, aswell as heated seats! :)

I've been puzzling over eCOTY in EVO the last few days. The standard Evora swept the board last year in EVO and all the magazines as well as online. The chassis/steering/suspension was deemed to be 'other wordly', 'Lotus are blessed with some sort of alchemy' and so on.

The three major complaints were:

* It could do with more power,

* The interior quality 'wasn't up to Porsche standards,

* The gear change was graunchy

So they launch the Evora S to rave reviews:

* It has an extra 70bhp, up there with the 911,

* There is a big improvement in quality (note Sutters comments in the Autocar video)

* The gear box is 'vastly' improved

And the chassis tweaks move the game even further on - as EVO says nothing else comes close on the North Yorks Moors B roads.

AND IT COMES SEVENTH!!! wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif

Apart from what appears to be a very strong 911 bias, who can explain this to me? Oh, and the cars that were rated higher are up to 3 times more expensive. Surely price/performance comes into the equation?

Discuss.

Edited by hedgerley

Gentlemen,

This is all music to my ears as I've just bought a 2+0 with sports pack and the C/R box, with delivery planned for Christmas Eve.

The car also benefits from the 2010 revisions and the new gear change. It's been the Murray Motor Co demo car, and replaces my Type 72 Exige. Graeme at MMC worked a deal which was impossible to refuse (the 10th car we've bought from him), so I'm in an Evora about a year earlier than imagined, and so looking forward to Friday.

Derek

You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unwelcome season. 

I notice MMC had two 10 plate Evoras with CR box! Which one have you bought: the Carbon grey or Storm Titanium! They both look great and I bet you cant wait to collect it and have some fun.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that mine will be delivered to JCT on monday or tuesday so I can collect on New Years eve and take out for a play the morning after!

Jerry

I've been puzzling over eCOTY in EVO the last few days. The standard Evora swept the board last year in EVO and all the magazines as well as online. The chassis/steering/suspension was deemed to be 'other wordly', 'Lotus are blessed with some sort of alchemy' and so on.

The three major complaints were:

* It could do with more power,

* The interior quality 'wasn't up to Porsche standards,

* The gear change was graunchy

So they launch the Evora S to rave reviews:

* It has an extra 70bhp, up there with the 911,

* There is a big improvement in quality (note Sutters comments in the Autocar video)

* The gear box is 'vastly' improved

And the chassis tweaks move the game even further on - as EVO says nothing else comes close on the North Yorks Moors B roads.

AND IT COMES SEVENTH!!! wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif

Apart from what appears to be a very strong 911 bias, who can explain this to me? Oh, and the cars that were rated higher are up to 3 times more expensive. Surely price/performance comes into the equation?

Discuss.

I thought the same when I read it, but the Evora winning the eCOTY was regarded as a fix, as its a new British Sports car etc, and EVO weren't keen on giving it to YET ANOTHER 911.

Congratulations Derek on your purchase - Storm Titanium with the Graphite wheels is a cracking choice - I had the dilemma of going for that combo or the one I finally went for; Carbon Grey with Silver.

I did have a brief look at EVO in WHSmiths and also noted the costs of the other cars in comparison and that they commented on the "high price" of the Evora as holding it back!!

Also, what are these "chassis tweaks"?

High price holding it back!!!

Here's the list, in descending order. All prices 'basic list' -

£106,870 Porsche GT3 RS

£169,545 Ferrari 458 Italia

£164,107 Porsche GT2 RS

£336,000 Lexus LFA

£157,500 Mercedes SLS AMG

£112,500 Audi R8 V10 Spyder

£57,550 Lotus Evora S

£69,950 Nissan GTR

£174,840 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570

£35,750 Ford Focus RS 500

Yeah, my sentiments exactly - a veritable bargain in comparison. Plus, I reckon it's the cheapest car of the group to run on a day to day basis (bar the RS?!)

Edited by JAWS

Gentlemen,

This is all music to my ears as I've just bought a 2+0 with sports pack and the C/R box, with delivery planned for Christmas Eve.

The car also benefits from the 2010 revisions and the new gear change. It's been the Murray Motor Co demo car, and replaces my Type 72 Exige. Graeme at MMC worked a deal which was impossible to refuse (the 10th car we've bought from him), so I'm in an Evora about a year earlier than imagined, and so looking forward to Friday.

Derek

Can't wait to see it Derek.

Thanks for the good wishes guys. Christmas certainly can't come quick enough here! :santa:

And a big thank you to Graeme at Murray Motor Co for making the whole process so smooth and straight forward.

You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unwelcome season.