Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My manifold is cracked……Cast or Stainless replacement? - Page 4 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My manifold is cracked……Cast or Stainless replacement?

For the people outside of the UK the approximate deliverys charges are

Idaho £58
Colorado £50
Florida £58
Sweden £40
isle of man £24
jersey £24
                                     Mark

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

I have this going on in Lotus Talk.com as well. heh heh. I bought one from Leon last week. I think I have another maybe purchaser over there but he stated it would have to be less than I paid ($1540 shipped to MD) for him to purchase one. He is also here in this thread but I will let him speak up herein if he still wants one. That makes three or four of us so far if Leon counts me as part of this buy. He and I spoke about this earlier when I bought mine. Hope we can get this done and I can get some bit of $ back. lol.

I did not do a dyno before my car was torn down mostly because I did not find one I had much confidence in and if it ever gets back together, my data won't be applicable as I am also trying other bits out as well such as a larger twin spooler, RC injector upsizing, head work, K&N (which may be discarded), chip, LSD, and other minor bits. Hoping it all comes together as I will have only one or two seasons to drive her due to physical debilitation presenting itself and will then sell the car. Long time dream trying to come true in a hurry.

I like the weight savings over castings, the ability to install engine in through wheel arch or over the top, support arm not relying on a exhaust bolt and which allows some expansion movement since the other manifold form I have seen recently that locks it down tight, and the optimum form of stainless, 321 ss. Wouldn't mind seeing it internally coated up to keep the heat inside for the turbo to eat, but that would raise the cost beyond reach. Should last loads longer than any casting i have seen made for the SE and 304x longevity just is not up to long term hard turbo usage from all that I have read (i.e. SAAB used 304 stainless early on and they all cracked), (N/A is usually just fine). My only issue with it is that most turbo manifolds should normally be as short as possible to the inlet(s) due to heat losses and pressure losses getting to the turbo, but, perhaps these lengths being what they are may make those losses back. I dunno. I just need one now and this one looks like it will certainly do the trick long term. Good luck getting some others on board.

Edited by MikieP

As it looks like Dave's (changes) isn't going to work out, this seems to be a good alternative. It may not have the benefit of Dave's input, but it must surely be better than the factory item!

"OK, lets see if we can get a list of who is definitely willing to go for a group buy and who is possibly interested:"

1. sailorbob - definite

2. Neill - definate

Edited by Neill1607

Hooligan at heart.

Hi every one , I'm redirecting this thread to start a fresh. The new thread is

Alunox 321 Stainless Steal replacement Manifold

Thanks,

Mark

• 1 month later...