Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Esprit mirror - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Esprit mirror

Help! :unsure:

I know this subject has come up before but after one of my final parts - The S1 pod type mirror, I have contacted Nick Fulcher without any luck, does anyone have one spare or know where I can get one even if damaged or incomplete.

If not can someone give me some good pics and a few dimensions as I will make my own mould and fabricate one.

I have searched online but not come up with anything correct although I have seen a few similar .:detective:

Many Thanks

Dave

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

As an owner of a Federal car, what is a mirror pod? My car came with two chrome mirrors on short pedestals. Is your mirror similar to the one shown on the white "James Bond" car? Inquiring minds want to know!

Lyn

Yes it is the mirror fitted to the early S1 cars, I had one on my last S1 which I never took a mould from.

I have spoken to Matt before but he sold the mould to Nick Fulcher, the mould was taken from Paul Colemans mirror.

I am confident with some good pics and sizes I can make a new mould, will keep searching though..........:scared:

post-10978-0-23395500-1297232777.jpg

So who actually has this mould now then??

My mirror was kicked off my car by some mindless dickhead about 20 years ago ane i only found the odd bit of it that had fallen of as they had been playing football with it up the road.

I know the car only had 1 on the drivers side but i would like to get two anyway to have a look at it on the passenger side and perhaps even a third to have as a spare... just in case son of mindless dickhead passes by the car some time.

Let me know if someone is going to do a run of these please.

Cheers

Gordon

Yes it is the mirror fitted to the early S1 cars, I had one on my last S1 which I never took a mould from.

I have spoken to Matt before but he sold the mould to Nick Fulcher, the mould was taken from Paul Colemans mirror.

I am confident with some good pics and sizes I can make a new mould, will keep searching though..........:scared:

That's the mirror I was asking about. Was it an early G version only? Was it fitted to any other series of cars? During the driving season, I use Vitaloni Baby Turbos instead of the chrome rectangles on a stalk my car came with

Lyn.

I am happy to make a few once I have the information needed, they came from a MK1 Hillman Avenger Tiger originally but these owners are struggling to obtain them too.

I have a glass company ready to cut the Hexagon mirror plates and I will manufacture the brackets in the machine shop.

Anyone else want one let me know as I may get a batch made up.

post-10978-0-88073600-1297278025_thumb.j

Dave

Will depend on costs but since these things are not gong to be two a penny as time goes on i would probably be interested in 3 maybe 4?

Had the car for 27 years now so it would be nice to have a good selection of spares when i pass it over to Fraser.

I have got one, well three actually! I do not have the base though (the bit that attaches itself to the car). I also have two molded copies albeit simplified without the ratchet style mounting point. Would this help??

post-5339-0-96989200-1297793381_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris1

A bit off topic for the S1 mirror (sorry, can t help) but I have these (and the mould) for the offside mirror shells on the S3.

They need a small amount of work in fitting the parts from the broken shell but they work perfect, are stronger and are an exact copy.

Donations direct to the Bibs haircut fund and postage. :coffee:

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave,

I've just bought some Sebring Mach 1 mirrors because I hate the stalk mirrors that were on my S1 when I bought it, but I'd most definately love to get a set of the original Hillman Avenger styled S1 mirrors. So if you go ahead, please count me in for a set.

Regards

Bill

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Just to keep you updated..........

Mirror progress has been slow although the brackets are now done, the mirror body is still with my pal who is now the line manager at the GRP shop he works at. He is going to do the moulds soon but has been busy with a yacht project and model boat of his own.

I will try to get the glass cut as soon as I have a mirror in my hand, I do have a template cut out of stainless but need to check the fit on a mirror first as once the glass is cut it is not easy to modify.

Will keep you updated and post some pics then

Cheers

Dave

Good man Dave...very much appreciated.

You have any idea of what the unit cost of these is going to be?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have looked into this mirror issue for the s1 for many years now. There are actually 2 types of pod mirrors that were fitted to the European S1.

Actually, both are shown on this thread.

There is the 6 sided pointy type that Chris has shown above, and the more bull nosed 4 sided type as fitted to Dave's car and the hillman.

They are both correct although.

The 4 sided type was fitted to some europa's too. The first prototypes and show cars had the 4 sided bullnose type, and the famous photo of CABC sitting in an esprit in the London motor show in early 70's even had 2 bullnose mirrors.

First run production cars had the 6 sided types, as did the 007 esprit.

The little metal stem should also be black, although under the paint, it was actually chromed.

Boring stuff, but could be of some use to someone hopefully.

Good luck in getting the right one.

Cos

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Finally a little progress on some S1 mirrors;

The brackets are now made from Stainless and I have had them slightly modified which won't be seen when built but will allow more adjustment when fitted to the car which was always the biggest problem with what Lotus fitted hence the much improved S2 and late S1 mirrors. I still have more work to do with countersinking the fixing holes and putting the radius on all the edges which could not be done on the machine.

post-10978-0-04960500-1319967578.jpg

The actual mirror is still to be made as getting a professional mould made by a friend in the yacht industry which will be one piece, this is possible with the modified bracket assemblies which will give a better final finish, my thanks to Chris and Paul for lending me the pattern and bracket/glass drawings, both will get a complete painted mirror when done ready to fit.

I have a firm sorted who will cut the glass when ready.

The whole mirror project has been very expensive and time consuming already so I will only be completing six assembled mirrors and then just a few basic unprepped mirrors where I may do some fibreglass brackets.

I did buy a couple of Italian old stock mirrors from the 70's which are very similar in deed and the closest I have seen to date, May use one of these for everyday use as very adjustable, they do suit LHD better though due to the bracket position.

post-10978-0-13427900-1319967695.jpg

I will keep you posted as further progress develops..... :thumbup:

Glad to see you're still plugging away at this Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing the result. I know Matt made a few from the original mould I took off my mirror but gave it up as it was too time consuming!!

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Paul

Like yourself it is not always easy to find time with such a big project even with all the best intentions, I am at the stage where I need more parts and we all know how expensive that becomes even for a small order!

Can't see me needing the mirror for at least 18 months at my current rate... :turned:

Hows your progress coming along? Got that body final painted yet?

Cheers

Dave

Well the paintwork is ongoing and won't get looked at again until next year.

I bought my daughter a 1976 Mini because she wanted to restore one and now I'm working on that full time. Having one dismantled car was bad enough but now I have two!!! Glutton for punishment or what?

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 6 months later...

Getting near to having a final prototype for the S1 Mirror, my mate has produced two perfect kevlar based replicas, I have tried the template glass which fits fine too.

post-10978-0-05696700-1337444576.jpg

The quality is spot on and the next ones will be made with black gel coat finish, I plan to drop lense template off to the glass cutters sometime next week to get a dozen cut.

Next job is to fit the bracket mount and then install the swivel unit for the gass so it can be adjusted from the bracket and lense.

Been a long road this one so I can see why no one has produced loads before, the mould Steve made from the original mirror is stunning, I will upload a pic when I get the chance.

Only going to make six of these as costs have got stupid now. We may make some GRP shells for spares at the end.

Cheers

Dave :)