Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
upgrade of S4 cooling fans - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

upgrade of S4 cooling fans

dodge1979

Dear all..as Ive read through a lot of threads about upgrading the rad fans from the original ford ones...I havent yet found anything thats says what size fans anyone has used....As Ive already got a 3core rad and a stainless frame to go in the car, I can understand the plastic shroud would aid the build up of crud overtime, so was hoping to chuck that. Now, at an odd size of 11.5 inch per fan (the originals), what size has anyone fitted? Also, have you gone with the standard way of attach them directly to the core..which Ive always been dubious of, or have you managed to attach them to the frame itself...ie the four 'struts' that run top to bottom on the rear side of the rad that the original shroud was attached to..if you get me!

Ideas chaps?????

cheers

Darren

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently did some work on mine. I think the original fans are fine. The problem is the plastic shroud that supports them. It's fragile, inefficient as it holds the fans too far off the core fins and impedes air flow where it covers about 10-15% of the radiator.

I retained the original fans and made a new support. I also added plastic skirt extensions so there's only about 5mm clearance off the core fins. The first test was an hour in slow to non-moving peak traffic with 45 degree plus and all was fine. My oil temp got up to 95, the highest I've ever seen. Also once at speed it ran cooler than before even though my number plate, albeit a small one, is in the mouth of my car. A bonus is the reduced roar whenever the fans cut in. Probably because no air is being dragged from the large side gaps that existed before.

LotusEspritfansupportoldvsnew280111011.jpg

LotusEspritfansupportoldvsnew280111007.jpg

NSXLotusKenthurstKendallsetc080210064.jpg

DanR

• 1 month later...

I've had Spalls fitted by Geoff, they are a little noisy when they come on but cool well, they are the curved vane ones. Point to note, they blew the standard 10A fuses in short order so I have 15A fuses fitted to all three.

That's not good.

Is the loom up to the job if it's blowing the original fuses? They must be drawing far more current than those wires were ever specced to do. I'd be more than a little wary of that. Fingers crossed for you though

Chunky Lover

been on for about 2 years now, get triggered regularly and haven't had a problem. I expect the draw is not much over 10A and not enough to fry anything.

I would be surprised if the wiring couldn't handle a couple of extra Amps, double would cause concern but not an extra 5A