Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Esprit S1 Tyres - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Esprit S1 Tyres

Hello,

I believe the tyres required for the S1 are;

Front 205/60/R14

Rear 205/70/R14

What brand is everyone using? and where are you sourcing them (UK only).

Thanks in advance.

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sumitomo HTR 200 is a popular choice. Finding a set in the correct sizes is impossible here in the States. I hope you have better luck in the UK.

Edited by GavinT

Without looking to see if it will foul arches

205/70R14 will look crap on the front

Will affect handling (Lotus tend to use less rubber in front to balance oversteer and understeer)

It will pinch the 5" rims up front (205/70 are wider than 205/60)

There is a previous thread on tyres on here somewhere - but do not recall seeing Sumitomo on that one

I have been after front branded tyres for a while, Dunlop, pirelli etc no longer manufacture either size. I have sourced a brand new old stock Dunlop front tyre but still searching.

All the UK suppliers can only offer new Nankang or Falken tyres at present. :unsure:

Not looking good for the long term future so I am hoping when the new Slot mag Wolfrace wheels are produced they will supply in 100PCD as i will buy a 15" set for everyday use. :thumbup:

Anyone know where to get a couple of branded 205 60 14 tyres?

Cheers

Dave

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Best tires I've found for the front are the Nexen CP641 and Fulda Assuro for the back (though these are unavailable for the time being). Tried the Falken 07U on front and they were shocking!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hankook Optimo K715 are available in 195/65R14 and 205/70R14. Seems the closest available in one make / compound. Intend to try them, but would not mind being beaten to it!

Camskill Tyres, they have 205 60 14 and 205 70 14, Falken tyres about £50 per corner or federal tyres

These tyres will be fine for the esprit, what people need to remember is tyre technoligy has come along since the early esprits where made these tyres will spot on.

Regards danny

A

On this side of the pond (USA) there is even less choice, as has been discussed.

Went for Kumho's just to stay with the same maker. Only rebooted 400 miles ago but seem fine so far. Holding is fine, quiet and front handles fine. Further testing will shortly be under way now the snow has gone.

195/60R14 Kumho Ecsta Lx plat.

215/70R14 Kumho Solus KR21.

Tried to get the Federal tyres for mine - spoke with UK importer, he could not get me a set

Speak with camskill as they are massive importers of tyres! probably better than federal suppliers themselves :whistle:

Regards danny

A

What about 195 on the front?

I have the Sumitomo HTR 200 in the 195 size on the front and the 205/70-14 on the rear. Seems to be fine but I have not driven the car with anything else so can't make a comparison. I am looking for a new set of tires for my Speedlines but it's proving really difficult. Can't even find the HTR 200 in the 205/70-14 size.

Edited by GavinT

What about 195 on the front?

That's what I did. I bought the last set of Sumitomo HTR 200 205/70-14s in the USA and missed the 205/60-14s by about a week, so I gave up and went with the HTR 200 195/6-14s.

If anyone's in the States and wants to obsessively check availability for proper sized fronts and rears simultaneously--say every morning after you brush your teeth, a bit later when you get to the office, or perhaps with your iPhone on the can--bookmark this.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

I have been after front branded tyres for a while, Dunlop, pirelli etc no longer manufacture either size. I have sourced a brand new old stock Dunlop front tyre but still searching.All the UK suppliers can only offer new Nankang or Falken tyres at present. :unsure: Not looking good for the long term future so I am hoping when the new Slot mag Wolfrace wheels are produced they will supply in 100PCD as i will buy a 15" set for everyday use. :thumbup: Anyone know where to get a couple of branded 205 60 14 tyres?CheersDave

Dave,

Are you describing Dunlop SP 60's as the original equipment front tire you sourced? If you have access to new old stock, I would love to buy two. Even one tire would be great! The originals on my S1 still hold air but are worn from a few years of mis-alignment. Use the tires and original wheels only for show purposes (see my photo album). I drive the S1 on new 15" Dunlops during our short driving season.

Lyn

• 1 month later...

Hello all

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have found matching front and rear tyres in the the correct sizes for the S1 and S2 Esprits. They are S306 Yokohama's and are only H rated, I dont know how good or bad they are but at least the tread pattern is the same. Has anyone got any experience of them?

Regards Chris

Hello all

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have found matching front and rear tyres in the the correct sizes for the S1 and S2 Esprits. They are S306 Yokohama's and are only H rated, I dont know how good or bad they are but at least the tread pattern is the same. Has anyone got any experience of them?

Regards Chris

Where?

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

I found some reviews for the Yokos which were not very confidence inspiring. I would be keen to hear the views of someone fitting them to the Esprit. I think they may react in the the same way as the Falkens I tried which are designed for heavier cars. Maybe the lightness of the Esprit has a negative effect as the tyres need the exra weight to create the grip?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Email from Yokohama UK

Hi Simon,

I`m afraid that these two sizes are no longer made by yokohama,let me know if there are any others you want me to look at.

Best regards

I have these on the front of my S1 and tried many times to buy the matching rears but every time I paid for them they became unavailable. Tried more than one source so gave up in the end.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...