Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear Springs S4 / S4s - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear Springs S4 / S4s

Hi

Has anyone got lying about in their garage a pair of (or single) springs for an S4s or S4. Perhaps you have moved to adjustable springs and dampers. My S4s has developed a list to the drivers side rear while it has been unused for the last few years.

I suspect it is a weak spring that has caused this as the car drives fine no bumps or bangs etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Mike

tel 07802451116

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have a mooch about in the "Lotus Parts Sale"

There are some springs in there. Not sure if they are S4 but worth a look see.

Buying a new pair is not particularly extortianate.

Parts sale

Pete at PNM might be able to help with S/H springs.

PNM

You can also try South West Lotus or SJ Sportscars.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

I sincerely would not recommend changing one spring only, I'd put a lot of thought into only changing one axle. At least do both rears and check out spring rates.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi

I have heard this argument about changing both at the same time, which I think is very sensible if you are looking at a different manufacturers spring or replacing with new items. However my car is a good case in point, it has covered only 30k and one spring is weak where the other is OK. I cannot see how a used spring of the same rating (i.e. colour code)and age will be any worse than a spring which is weak and making the car list. The weak spring cannot be functioning in the same way as the other side yet the car drives fine. I am prepared to give a used item a try if it levels the car up I will trial it for a while, if it feels in any way incorrect I would of course change both springs.

Thanks for your comments

Cheers Mike

How about swapping side to side, the sagging spring is nearly always the driver's side as it's the side that always has weight when the car is driven but the passenger side often doesn't. A swap should allow them to balance out after a short period of time.

The problem is the spring is getting on for 2 inches too low. It is having the visual effect of making the front look lifted. Swapping sides would just shift the effect to the other side.

Thanks for the suggestion;

Cheers Mike

Have you checked out the shock absorber on the diagonal corner ?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

The problem is the spring is getting on for 2 inches too low. It is having the visual effect of making the front look lifted. Swapping sides would just shift the effect to the other side.

Thanks for the suggestion;

Cheers Mike

Two inches means a lot of variance in the spring strength, so yes maybe you do need to replace both but you will find the new ones may sag on the driver's side after a while also.

All the shocks seem fine. No sign of leaks no knocking noises and well controlled over bumps.

Quote "Two inches means a lot of variance in the spring strength, so yes maybe you do need to replace both but you will find the new ones may sag on the driver's side after a while also".

Or get a second hand passenger side spring :thumbsup:

Edited by G_Reaper2

Hi

I seriously think you should consider the bigger picture here...If one spring has gone soft the the coil rate is to pot....the other one will probably be out of spec too...For what little two new springs cost just fit new ones from Lotus they will be a matched pair.. while you are at it, if the dampers are origonal change them too, they deterioate with time and will be out of spec ...you will really notice the difference when set correct....Remember it is suspension that makes the car handle.. and an out of spec suspension can give you some nasty surprises when you most need it.....Think safty not cost...

I'am sure Bibs can get you a good deal on these...

Dave

That means I buy new throw £250 at the job when I am already throwing ££££££££££ replacing the brake system because of the the use less Delco ABS set up.

As I stated before I would rather try a SH spring and see how it goes. The car drives fine now it just does not look good.

If I throw money at new springs they would be out of spec in a short time anyway and could potentially sag as Andy has said.

Lets face it not many people get the chance to push their Esprit anywhere near its actual design limits on a public road thus finding out their suspension is out of spec.

Cheers MIke.

Anyone got any Springs?????? :thumbsup:

I simpathize with your situation, But, they don't all sag infact only a few do...I have a set of springs that came of my 1989 SE which are fine, the car sat level after 21 years and they were the same length when removed....I only changed them because of age... plus everything else was changed to new spec... I may still have them in my stores,, I have not had them coil tested but if you want them as a pair. your welcome ..let me know and i will post them to you.... I still think new is best for the reasons stated......

Dave

Dave, I'm sure that if you compared springs that have been in use on the car to brand new ones made to the original spec the used ones would be slightly shorter than the new ones when the same load is applied, but as I stated that's just them bedding in.

Hi Andy,

I totaly agree, all springs settle, usually between 3-6 months with regular use,, as you say bedding in, but they should do it as a pair,, I think mike feels if he buys new , it could be leaning to one side within a year or two. Not the case unless faulty springs or non matched after market springs.......

Dave

[

Hi Dave,

Are the SE springs the same spec as the S4? If so I will certainly take you up on your offer.

I really think that spring degradation is something that cannot be totally predicted. Hence the reason I am prepared to try used springs. After all my car has only done 30,000 miles and one spring has given up yet I know cars with 3 and 4 times this mileage and the springs are fine. I have in recent years had 2 cars where the springs snapped 1 at a high mileage the other at approx 20,000 so I think that predicting spring fatigue would be virtually impossible.

The bottom line is I have bigger issues to deal with I am sure with recommissioning the car after approx 4 years off the road. I just want to get it back on the road to shake down the new brake system and find out if I have any other issues to deal with.

Cheers Mike

The S4 and S4S use the same rear springs but there was a change to the dampers and springs from VIN number 2031 onwards. The later cars had slightly stiffer springs

Early colour code: blue/blue/yellow, Part number A082D4154F

Later colour code: green/blue/green, Part number A082D4169F

Edited by sailorbob

Hi Mike

They are original SE spec , which will be green , different to S4 original spec. .. they will level your car out but are not the same ratings...The best solution is to get in contact with peter at PNM , he may have some 2nd hand S4 spec he will sell you... I still think new Eibach at £150 a pair is not out of order. (available from PNM)

If you still want my old SE springs they are F.O.C just pay the post...

Dave

Hi Andy,

I totaly agree, all springs settle, usually between 3-6 months with regular use,, as you say bedding in, but they should do it as a pair,, I think mike feels if he buys new , it could be leaning to one side within a year or two. Not the case unless faulty springs or non matched after market springs.......

Dave

[

Yep, it's the normal bedding that seems to happen on the driver's side first (logical with many esprits having just a driver most of the time) then in later life well after the passenger spring has bedded the driver's side starts to sag due to decades of sitting with the car's weight on it.

I found the cause on mine to be the top rubber insulator A079D4028F had completely collapsed on the side near the catalyst from the excessive heat

i would look at these rubber parts before I would suspect a spring

Edited by ragingfool35

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

I will have a look at rubber seat.

I would have thought if the rubber seat had gone this would transfer a lot of noise through the car, was that the case with your car?

Cheers Mike

I notice SJ Sports cars do rear springs for the early S4 & S4s for £31 approx. They use an SJ part number has anyone tried these out, I am guessing they are non Lotus parts.

Cheers Mike Y.