Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bleeding the Brakes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Bleeding the Brakes

Hi folks, my new disks are on and I think I have soughted the hand brake, but for those who have HISPECS I am wonderung if there should not be a return spring for the hand brake pads, i may fit one.

Anyway hopefully the wife will assist, unless anyone fancys a run over to assist on this loverly sunny morning. but here is the question..............the brake have a number of bleed points, whats the best sequence to bleed them, just want to save some time as I would like to run the car this coming week down to brands.

any thoughts on the proceedure to make it easier.

Dave

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usual advice is longest run (furthest from master cylinder) first. If you have multiple points on each calliper then I'd suggest the same holds true, so the section with an indirect fluid feed first then the section the brake pipe goes into.

• Gold FFM

On the Haynes scale:

Bleeding brakes: 2 spanners (moderately easy)

Getting wife to sit: 1 spanner (simple)

Making wife listen: 5 spanners (don't try this at home unless you're a trained professional with protective headgear)

Good luck Dave - we're all thinking of you.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

I've always found that gagging and binding Tracy encourages her no end...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

It sounds as though you mean there are multiple bleed nipples on each calliper. That being the case, logic says start with the lowest one and work up, in the wheel order Andy suggests. I'm not familiar with your calliper so no guarantees.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Dave,

When I fitted my Hispecs I bleed them in the order sparky said, (but unfortunetly no bound gagged women involved) on the Hispec caliper I did the top bleed screws.

If you need a hand, Let me know and I'll help you

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

If your struggling to get the fluid moving you'll need to tap on the flange a bit, I find that always helps along with some firm but rhythmical pumping. Don't pump too fast or you'll run the risk of introducing a little air into the mix, that's not a good thing :)

Chunky Lover

Hi Dave

Hi folks, my new disks are on and I think I have soughted the hand brake, but for those who have HISPECS I am wonderung if there should not be a return spring for the hand brake pads, i may fit one.

When i fitted mine i thought the hand brake could do with a realease spring too.... I fitted one on the caliper mechanism and it works just fine...I used a spring from a drum brake which hold the shoes together. its the right tension and length.. and available from most quality factors .

I did not have any issue with bleeding them ..i did as the others have said with one small difference. I gravity bled them all first, then vacume bled in order....no peddle pumping... no impatient wife saying ''are we done yet'' ..takes about 30 min from start this way..

hope it goes easy for you..

Dave..

Dave I also gravity bleed first. Then I used a vacuum pump with a Y, so that I could bleed both bleeders the same time...

I went up to Dave's today and we sorted them out in no time.... Will it did take a few hours.... To many bleeders Dave.

Felix. Thanks for your help yesterday. Really good to see you again. That vac pump really did the trick. The car is now down on it's wheels and looking great, just need to replace a stripped nut on the suspension, do the set up check rear camber and it's ready for the road again

Thanks again Felix

Dave

Good to hear that it's sorted, was it just a case of puling enough fluid through?

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Patience and gravity were in demand. The key was having 2 of use and a vac pump.

If I could have held the tube on my nipples and pushed the pedal that would have made it easier. The vac was great all we had to do was sit and wait.

Felix even had time to have a play on the F1 2010 play station.

Dave