Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Removing the cat - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Removing the cat

I think my catalytic converter may be bad and am thinking of having it removed from the exhaust system entirely.

Just wondered if anyone else had done the same and what results I may achieve?

FYI, no emission tests required in my State. :thumbsup:

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam,

Removed the Cat from my Esprit's exhaust system in 1977. Created a wonderful, sonorous exhaust note. Not sure about effects on a turbo car. New York State does not require emissions on pre 1995 cars either :thumbsup: . Having a "test pipe" made might be a problem though. Most muffler shop mechanics are aware of potential penalties and might refuse to help you. Even if they are wrong!

Lyn

UK cars didn't get cats until many years later - there's never been one on my '86 Turbo. Should let the engine breath properly and free up some more horses as well as sound better. Enjoy!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I have a hollowed-out cat on mine and I notice no difference in real-world performance vs the 'full' cat, and if anything, the car seems slightly QUIETER now- but only by perhaps enough to make me wonder if there really is a difference. As for the sound, maybe the hollow can is allowing some sort of sound-cancelling effect of certain frequencies...who knows...but I'd be interested to see what difference a straight section would make instead of the can.

The guy who gave me the hollowed-out cat says that his car passed emissions with it, due to both the 910 being a surprisingly clean-running engine (which makes my green side feel good) but also due to the fact that emissions standards for the 1980s were not nearly as tight as today's. A car can only be held to the standards in effect at the time of the car's manufacture.

So what makes you think that yours has gone bad?

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

"So what makes you think that yours has gone bad?"

I'm putting my money on the fact it's burning holes in my boot carpet and rattles like a Salvation Army tin LOL !

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

The rattle is definitely a problem. Is that heat shield stuff that we applied still intact?

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad