Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
412 BHP...THAT WILL DO NICELY...... - Page 10 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

412 BHP...THAT WILL DO NICELY......

CHANGES

Hi Dave,

How went the Summer "test drive"? Any more Changes?

I know! You may need an individual cylinder spark retard controller instead of the "retard all" function module.

What say you?

MrDangerUS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

How went the Summer "test drive"? Any more Changes?

''YES'' As this is an on going overall test of 'changes' made, I was always going to find the

odd thing i was not happy with.

One of these was the hand brake on the 4 pot rear calliper upgrade. The overall braking

system is fantastic so i did not want to disrupt that when upgrading the h/brake system.

I discussed the problem with Pete at PNM and he suggested the same calliper with

internal hand brake system. This will use the whole pad as opposed to a designated spot pad,

The original 4 pots had just the small spot pads operated by a lever system for the h/brake which

only just got through the previous MOT and i felt was not effective enough.

you can see the system on the bottom of the original calliper fitted in this pic.

post-10519-0-95554200-1352651272.jpg

Pete supplied me with a complete swap over kit including bracket that were not available for

this set up and he had to design and manufacture special..

post-10519-0-45600600-1352651530.jpg

In the next pic you will see old and new side by side, It is clear what the difference is , the

inside half of the new calliper incorporates a lever system within the hydraulics to actuate

the whole pad system when pulled. providing a much larger friction area on the disc.

post-10519-0-82580900-1352651856.jpg

When fitting up a few things needed repositioning and new lever arms making to fit my

cable ends. it also became apparent that although the system worked well after a fiddly

bleeding procedure, there was to much travel in the hand brake lever itself. This was caused

by the ratio between the lever lengths on the calliper and h/brake. The essential need for this

system to have full release when off did not help.. I overcame this by changing the lever length

on the h/brake itself. There was enough room to add 20mm which worked a treat. To also make sure full release was achieved i fitted a couple of extra return spring to make sure.

On the MOT test the hand brake was applied and the whole Esprit jumped out the rollers..

Good hand brake or what... the last system barely made 15% of the foot brake..

Finished set up

post-10519-0-88077700-1352652974.jpg

Further refinements to the fuel mapping were also made, This was required as once we got the fuel temp under control the ratios slightly changed and i lost the smooth light throttle cruise ability.

A short journey with Troy (N'hampton M/sport) in the left hand seat with lap top pugged in to ECU

plus a couple of other gismo's and we ironed out the problem. To be honest it feels even smoother

now with better low down response.

Edited by CHANGES

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great thread! Extremely well documented in every detail of HP attained and what it took to get there and the fix to stay within.

I've read through 90% of it... So far I will be going in many ways with your mods. I also believe your car now has Alunox water cooler and exhaust manifold, because it really looks like the one in their YouTube video.

After 2 weeks I'm just today finish with my Head Port and Polish job. Comes to show you that to get a car that moded it takes mucho dinero and lots of time! :)

JG

Last 12 month update....Oct 2012 >>>2013.

Part 1  New Exhaust manifold with ''changes''

Another year goes by on this project, Although i keep thinking it is finished

something raises its head that needs improving along with general developments.

During this year circumstances presented an opportunity for me to work with

Alunox on the development and testing of the now available 321 s/s Manifold.

Another thread covered this but there is a twist to the story.........

Whilst doing preliminary inspection and measurements it was apparent that the

collectors or secondary's would not meet the requirements of my engines flow

dynamics... Although perfect for the T34 turbo,  the volume / velocity parameters

were wrong for my T38 S182 .  My original design incorporated and needed

expanded secondary's. This was to cope with the extra volume, enhance the

scavenge on the primary's and manage the positive pressure waves.

So I designed a new set to go with the Alunox primaries which they manufactured

for me and is now available for those who want to go the extra mile with the T38.

pic showing the original T34 model secondary outlet to turbo.followed by pic of

the narrower compressed neck

post-10519-0-28509800-1381764861.jpg

post-10519-0-00043700-1381765268.jpg

pic showing the larger high flowed unit to match up perfect with the T38 S182 

Followed by the pic showing the flowed expanded neck..

post-10519-0-93660300-1381764972.jpg

post-10519-0-06981400-1381765294.jpg

Its all the little Changes that make the difference

Part 2 .... will be on the new contactless TPS replacement and

6 pot front brake upgrade...

" what is this hocuspocus you call horse power "

Hi Alex,

As you will have read in the early pages not everyone believes this BHP has been achieved in 

​a road drivable form....  However the results are proven and speak for themselves and it has little

to do with ''Hocus-pocus''.... its a lot more to do with understanding and applying engineering principals...

A classic point is the small changes made to these secondary pipes on the Alunox manifold..

For my flow system to stay in balance these changes were needed. A small independently insignificant

change, but collectively with others very important as part of the package. I honestly believe that it is this

attention to detail that produces the results, not just bolting on performance parts, also the reason why

others fell short and criticised.

Anyone can reproduce these if they spend the time to understand the detail and don't skimp on the pennies..   

Dave

I also believe your car now has Alunox water cooler and exhaust manifold, because it really looks like the one in their YouTube video.

Hi James,

Thanks for your comments.

The reason mine looks like the one in the You Tube video is because it is mine. The video was done whilst

i was carrying out remapping and testing of the manifold on the dyno at Northampton Motorsport.

My charge cooler is a bespoke unit specifically designed by me for the flow requirements and cooling on my 

particular engine, It is not commercially available .... Alunox do have their own larger general purpose unit

which i believe is now available and will fit all charge cooled Esprits.    

Edited by CHANGES

The age old no replacement for displacement argue died with lotus I think it then became power to weight ration well done mr clark .
They wont want to hear about a guys 2ltr vauxhall corsa then running 560 hp and I witnessed it leave a v10 r8 the guys misses was cracking up he on the other hand looked a lttle green

No idea why anyone would find the output hard to believe, Cosworths were regularly tuned to around 400bhp fairly reliably back in the '90's.

• 3 months later...

No idea why anyone would find the output hard to believe, Cosworths were regularly tuned to around 400bhp fairly reliably back in the '90's.

Interesting comment, but there is a bit more to it than just BHP, Independent  engine designs

accommodate different tuning parameters, the Cosy's have much better porting design capability

making VE easier to obtain. Saying that however, the big power units I have encountered all have

massive turbo's and the lag that goes with them.. so difficult to make a direct comparison 

But that is going off topic a bit because this was not a project about how much BHP we could get out of the 910 but for it to be the best it could be.. BHP was the side product.. Drive-ability was the Target.

This project will continue for some time ironing out the little kinks to refine all the changes. Hopefully this will act as a form of guide to those who go down the same route..

UPDATE..

During this last year it also became evident that the TPS was not as accurate as it could be... 

As i am able to monitor all sensors and readouts in real time while driving it was possible to see a

fluctuation in the TPS reading... It seemed to be bay temperature related with quite dramatic discrepancies. I tried several of the standard TPS's to make sure it was not just an isolated unit.. The results were they were all over the place.. some really quite bad..

To overcome this, a tolerance was written into the mapping. This was not the best outcome as it was to wide and not the best it could be...

The cure was to change the standard TPS for a Penny & Giles contact-less unit... Needless to say it would not fit as a direct exchange .. I was able to fabricate an adaptation boss which is now working well and has done for some time..  The real result is the TPS signal is now stable, so fuelling remains consistent through out the rev range

Pic 1 shows std unit. Pic 2 shows P&G unit, Pic 3 shows the kit used.

post-10519-0-12534200-1391774630.jpg

post-10519-0-00973300-1391774640.jpg

post-10519-0-39980500-1391774658.jpg

• 8 months later...

Dave,

Have you ever wondered what a more refined intake plenum might add to the equation?  It may be a hard project to get right without a lot of expense as there is a lot of work in tuning an intake plenum correctly.  It seems to me that the Lotus plenum is archaic.  Maybe it doesn't matter as much as normally aspirated vehicles...

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

Hi Bentzion

I don't normally release what is in development until fully finished and tested.

However as you have been curious enough to ask the question...

Your right the design is old. I have looked at this quite hard but not easy to do much within

the restraints provided.  After studying the later designs it is apparent the main issue is the

distribution of air to each port evenly , This applies to all plenums. It seem it is an on going

issue with some solutions, which carry their own problems.. The split plenum offers the best

flow distribution but is large and has volume questions.. So the quest goes on..

However none of this can detract from the fact we have achieved the 425 power output with

just an extended version of the original, be it along with other flow mods.

As a result i have been  working further on improving the flow delivery within this extended

design.  This has involved changing the plenum nose entrance angle slightly along with width.

The design of each port entrance has changed using flow bench to get the best pick up of

induction air delivered to the throttle bodies.   This in conjunction with the improved delivery

flow should help improve the distribution.  

This is all R&D and although mostly completed, won't be fully tested till early next year along

with other implemented developments.

Dave      

Well...I had a feeling you could not leave that part untouched.  I spoke a to a man whom used to design the carbon intakes for TVR's racing concern.  There is a lot of calculations that are done ahead of time and even then you may not see a return.  With the fact that you are still running a street car with some packaging issues is a true challenge.  From a purist point of view I was more interested in the effects with regards efficiency rather than more HP's.  Throttle response, fuel atomization etc...Which of course may result in making more HP's lower in the rev range.

Have you upgraded your fuel tanks yet? 

Thanks for the response!

Edited by Bentzion

Dave,

I dont know if you follow this site:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/F1-Motorsports-Lotus-Esprit-S3R/178516808826230

Guy does an amazing job....

I thought I would share what I found interesting.  He has tapped his exhaust manifold with EGT probes on all four tubes... Might be useful?

1554579_732918193386086_467346347_n.jpg?

Dave, do you intend to fabricate the tps mod for sale, I am interested in it. Also, how hard was it to install the individual coils/plugs?

Cheers

Dom

Hi Dom,

I have no plans in fabricating the TPS mod, as i feel the interest due to the cost in comparison to the

standard unit is inhibiting to owners... the fact that is works so much better and has the detailed accuracy will not be enough to sway peoples opinion.

Another important factor is the set up. The PG unit works in one quadrant only so setting up without the stock ECU  being plugged into lap top with suitable soft ware may be an issue.. I have not tried this system on a standard ECU so have no data... I can not see why it should not function perfect when set up on  std ECU and I am happy to provide any details on manufacture for anyone wanting to make their own.

The individual coil on plug again is not difficult, but would need wiring into the existing loom on the wasted system if using std ECU . If anyone wants to do this i can provide details of the parts used and manufacturing required to fit.. 

I found considerable advantages with both of these mods, especially when going sequential. However i am not using the standard ECU so could not comment on how they would perform in that environment.

Bentzion,

Yes i have seen the very impressive work being carried out by that person.. Even though that seems to be a race spec Esprit some things he has done would not be out of place on a daily driver.. 

The EGT probe is something I already have in my new spec, but only the one. 4 would be extravagant for a road car..

Going back to the plenum, it does as you say have flow dynamics which need careful consideration. Even when the maths/ flow bench shows positive capabilities, it is the dyno testing which will show if   any gains are made.

Inlet port entrance in particular offered development opportunities, but only as part of the plenum package.. In this work in progress pic, you can see some changes made to assist initial induction flow..

post-10519-0-58226600-1414659909.jpg

As apposed to the standard set up...

post-10519-0-61773000-1414659984.jpg

Please note this is still in development and unproven.. 

• Like 1

I'm wondering if you were to theoretically space the inlets more evenly (that would of course precipitate making a new back plate plate AND intake tubes I would venture!!!!) it would create better flow?  I certainly don't know if 3d printed ABS would stand up to the pressures but might be more efficient in testing a few versions before deciding which design to go with?? 

Hope you don't mind the questions...I get excited about this stuff.

trumpetinflow.jpg

Edited by Bentzion

Been eying these for my m635sci....

Could make it work with a custom back plate?

http://beta.atpowerthrottles.com/product_info.php/universal-round-4cyl-inline-itb-assembly-kit-injected-p-81

Look, they're in Norfolk!!

I'm wondering if you were to theoretically space the inlets more evenly

Hi Bentzion,

You are now starting to explore the science of induction.  Fascinating subject, with lots of hidden

agenda's.. Flow's , laminar's , pressure's, velocity , volume, density , resonance frequency, length,

shape,  temperature,  etc etc.  All elements that need consideration on induction design...

What we have as standard is not bad, but in my opinion needed refining.. Jenvey Dynamics who came

up with the intake stacks i have fitted have many other applications that could be employed.. However

I have still decided to try and work with what i have as the results to date for a road car show promise..

There are a couple of other internal changes i have implemented that go in hand with the raised stacks 

whilst still considering the balance of the elements listed above and the effect they have..

I will list details at a later date when tested.. 

i hope you find it as interesting and challenging as i do.. 

• Like 1

I'm wondering if you were to theoretically space the inlets more evenly

Hi Bentzion,

You are now starting to explore the science of induction.  Fascinating subject, with lots of hidden

agenda's.. Flow's , laminar's , pressure's, velocity , volume, density , resonance frequency, length,

shape,  temperature,  etc etc.  All elements that need consideration on induction design...

What we have as standard is not bad, but in my opinion needed refining.. Jenvey Dynamics who came

up with the intake stacks i have fitted have many other applications that could be employed.. However

I have still decided to try and work with what i have as the results to date for a road car show promise..

There are a couple of other internal changes i have implemented that go in hand with the raised stacks 

whilst still considering the balance of the elements listed above and the effect they have..

I will list details at a later date when tested.. 

i hope you find it as interesting and challenging as i do.. 

I really do!

As mentioned previously I am working on my m635csi and I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out plenum design and creating more torque from a N/A motor.  I am actually trying to graft the Yamaha R6 variable intakes into it's motor.  Jenvey are of course world famous..I looked at AT-Power because of their shaftless design.

I will of course be watching with great interest....

Edited by Bentzion