Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I'm crying...! - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

I'm crying...!

Good question, looks like my paranoia of get mine 1 tooth out when replacing the belt was misplaced. :yes:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Quite a few, actually. I haven't done the numbers but 2 or 3 doesn't cause these lumps a problem. Wouldn't want to run them that way though!

Anyway, after much investigation, pontification, and head-scratching, I found absolutely nothing wrong with the engine. So I fitted a new belt, muttered a few hopeful words to the supreme being, and turned the key. Ran like a dream and came back with a new MoT. A couple of bits and pieces to tweak and it's done. :D

Cheers for mucking in, wookie! And of course Trev, without whose heckling and pointing I'd have a very boring day.

More belt photos to follow. Warning - they're very scary.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Don't you just love it when a pain plan comes together!

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Pete, I think you'll find that the rooms are inside the house........

<br />

In practice, there is!

• Gold FFM

Photos sorted now. Quite a few of them, but I think it's important to convey the true horror of this belt.

I wasn't happy just to change the belt, so today did a comprehensive check on absolutely everything. All sprockets examined closely, all ancillaries checked for nastiness, cam covers off, valve clearances checked, buckets and cam lobes checked - you name it, we looked at it. Finally decided that there should be no engine problem that could cause this issue. Put it all together, ran it (sweet), and the went under to check for leaks. That's when I found something squirreled away on the chassis near the belts. The smoking gun? I don't know. I'd like to think so, as it'd at least give me a reason, but I'm not convinced! You'll see it in the last couple of pics, which aren't too good, but the tip has been ground away. Yes, I know I'm clutching at straws...

DSC_9453.jpg

DSC_9454.jpg

DSC_9459.jpg

DSC_9461.jpg

DSC_9469.jpg

DSC_9470.jpg

DSC_9476.jpg

DSC_9478.jpg

DSC_9482.jpg

DSC_9488.jpg

DSC_9492.jpg

DSC_9493.jpg

DSC_9499.jpg

DSC_9500.jpg

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Sure did look like a 1/2 round belt on a trapezoidal cam sprocket or vice versa. That was a horrific sight!!! :shock:

Edited by comem47

That is mental.....I don't recognise the screwdriver but will be asking my last mechanic. I'm just glad it didn't wreck the engine. Im one lucky boy. Thanks for everyones help and especially Sparky who has done a great job....

Plenty of investigation and guesses about how it happened but nothing concrete but another banana live because of the magic that is Sparky. The bigger the problem the better he performs.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

In the aircraft world that is FOD - Foreign Object Debris

Has trashed many an engine...

Edited by Rich H

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Holy Crap Batman :shock:

Now the lesson to be learned here is KEEP A TIDY TOOL BOX. Then you'll know if you have a' thingy', 'a what's it' or 'a you know' MIA.

muttered a few hopeful words to the supreme being, and turned the key.

So glad I'm not the only one that does this..

Great thread....I have never seen a belt that bad come off an engine that is not full of bent bits......That has got to be the best save since the 1966 world cup by Gorden banks...well done sparky... :unworthy:

Dave L.

The belt, in the flesh, is MUCH worse than the pictures indicate.... it is absolutely horrific.

<br />

In practice, there is!

• Gold FFM

Right place, right time. All we did was a routine belt change (well, with all the extra checks). Kudos to Gareth for reacting to it in time.

With Gareth's OK I'll keep the belt for my Black Museum. I could dine out on it for years!

Looking at the belt again and the tooth profile that remains could it be that that screwdriver has jammed the oil pump pulley briefly which was enough to mangle the belt?

The reason I say this is that the teeth are all worn on one side possibly indicating they were dragged over a stopped pulley, the only pulley that can be stopped (Briefly) without harm is the oil pump. The pressure would have dipped pretty quickly though so I can't have been for long. After then the damage had been done so the normal running would have exacerbated the wear until it slipped a couple of teeth.

Lottery ticket time!

• Gold FFM

Rich - that's essentially Trev's guess, and the most logical scenario. Would've been nice to see some witness on the aux sprocket though!

Look on the bright side Gareth - could've been £5000 plus. :shock:

I assume you had a good look as the oil pump casing too? Maybe the steel blade of the screwdriver jammed the pulley but the plastic handle hit the softer ali?

Anyway glad it was an easy fix! :thumbsup:

Pulley jammed shaw exactly my thinking as well. Can't see how damage, quite that comprehensive, could have happened any other way?

The pump is on the slack side of the belt as well which would make it slightly easier to jam and allow slippage. The damage on the screwdriver looks quite fresh in the pics.

Very luck boy indeed.

Chunky Lover

That's a point, did anyone check the ignition timing before pulling it apart ? :huh:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

It's engine-managed, Rog, so no distributor to drive.

Rich - inspected everything for damage - not a sign.

• Gold FFM

Well, the S4 made it back to Lincoln! Phew.

Well, the S4 made it back to Lincoln! Phew.

same trailer it came down on? :gathering:

hindsight: the science that is never wrong