Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anyone know anything about 'O' rings? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Anyone know anything about 'O' rings?

Hey guys, its been a long time........................

Well its been too long since the yellow peril was on the road, so now's the time.

Got various issues to sort like replacing both oil coolers (non genuine available??), full service, belts, exhaust manifold (oh dear or is that dear!), engine mounts, drivers door mirror, and then replacing ABS for the Kelsey Hayes system!

But for now I have a petrol smell. Checked pipes, recon OS tank. They say the 'O' ring is leaking where the electrical connections pass into the fuel pump.

So, what sort of 'O' ring do I need? What is compatible with fuel vapour? Where to buy from?

I guess I could buy a complete fuel pump assembly, but this seems like an expensive solution

Any solutions to any of problems are welcome

Looking forward to hearing her ROAR again!

Cheers

Glyn

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Nitrile O Rings.

Nitrile rubber is designed for fuel / oil immersion without breaking down.

Here's a webpage I made years ago which has all the tech specs on different rubber types.

Rubber Tech Specs

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Thanks Guys

When the tank was put under 5psi pressure during reconditioning, they noticed the leak. It was / is definitely the 'o' ring described, being about 10mm in diameter. They wiggled it and you could hear the air escaping past it.

When I removed the washer (like a fish gill arrangement where once its on its on, if you know what I mean) from the underside of the fitting, it damaged the plastic, so it looks like I will need to find an alternative solution of sealing the wire entry point.

So nitrile is the way forward then!

Better get the RS or farnell book out

Cheers

Glyn

ps on a side note, why has my post count gone to 3, when it must have been in the hundreds....... it was along time ago when I last posted though :(

So nitrile is the way forward then!

If its just a flat seal you need you can buy nitrile sheets on ebay and cut/ punch your own.

ps on a side note, why has my post count gone to 3, when it must have been in the hundreds....... it was along time ago when I last posted though :(

You've got 2 accounts Glyn, 1 with 3 posts and 1 with 334...

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Hey Bibs :)

Thanks, but how did I achieve that?

Was is signing in under my facebook login?

If so, is it possible to merge the 2 and delete the FB one?

Sorry to cause you hassle

I looked for your phone number to call, but you've gone :(

Cheers

Just thinking of all the cars which smell of petrol with cause unknown.......

I wonder how many others are like mine, as you can't easily see or check it...........