Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What is this oil related instrument on my S1 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What is this oil related instrument on my S1

Hi all,

on my S1 (and assuming on all of them), there is an instrument behind the RH seat, assambled in the bulkhead. It's a Smith's and has a oil feed pipe to it, leading to a pipe into the engine. It seems like one needs to operate it by pulling a central 'puller' and I assume it sucks oil from the engine through the pipe and towards the instrument. What is this thing for? Checking oil level/quality? How?

(can't test it as the engine is out, but I'm pretty curious)

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, so I've noticed. Needed to reset the password and activated a wrong account.... But it's about my Esprit S1 anyways

I normally use my ElEsprito account...

Dennis,

I'm also somewhat confused. It was my understanding all S1's used Veglia gauges. The S2 began to use Smith's. Anyway, my guess is the line in question is the oil pressure line to the sender unit. You said it goes from the block to this unknown Smith's instrument. My oil pressure sender is in the engine compartment below the opening for the fuel pump outlet. Seen an S1 with a serial number in the 490's with a '78 build date configured as mine. Perhaps a photo is required here.

Lyn

Sounds like a PO mod to me. Perhaps a remedy for a failed Veglia gauge or sending unit. Kind of seems somewhat logical if the person who did the install didn't want to mess up the authenticity of the S1 Veglia instrument panel. I would of maybe mounted it so it could be seen through the rear bulkhead window rather than cut into the bulkhead.

Edited by GavinT

Gav,

Before I cleaned out the oil pressure pipe, it was my plan to do exactly that! Mount a second pressure gauge neatly on the panel covering my battery. Disconnected the low oil pressure cutoff switch about the same time the air injectors were removed.(1977). The switch is still mounted to the three way fitting on the block. Just have to replace the switch with another tube like the current gauge uses. PO of Dennis' car might have thought the same. Great minds do think alike!

Lyn

Sounds like an oil level gauge to me. Some old cars had these where you pull a handle with the engine off and it shows the oil level. I think they connect to the top of the dipstick. Doesn't make a lot of sense to mount an oil pressure gauge on the bulkhead, out of sight.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE