Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
American Heatwave - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

American Heatwave

Kimbers

And is it as hot as they say?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14245060

Hope you are all keeping hydrated and cool. It was 40 degrees a couple of days on my holiday and was just unbearable at midday. How does anyone with a physical outside job manage to stand this??

p.s. Send a little our way will you?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While driving yesterday...

post-6978-0-63044800-1311339327_thumb.jp

Today will be a few ticks worse, but I'm test-driving Evoras, so we'll see what the A/C is made of.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Screw that. 122?! I used to spend lots of time in Arizona when my grandparents lived there and I don't ever remember it topping 118, and at least that was dry. Your friend still breathing? Time for an ice bath in Gatorade!

It was a cool by comparison 97 deg F, with a heat index temp at one time showing 109 in my location.

My central AC is working just fine thanks!!!

(of course the radio was playing Midnight Oil's "beds are burning " when I took a trip out to the store.)

One advantage is I haven't mowed the lawn in weeks, it's all dormant yellow now.

Must be very humid in teh South and Washington as well. A dry heat like Vegas I find much more bearable than a humid heat of teh same Temp. When I lived out in Malaysia with the old man you just felt like you couldn't breathe till you got used to it.

They opened the door of the plane and your clothes instantly stuck to you :wacko:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

And is it as hot as they say?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14245060

How does anyone with a physical outside job stand this?

Worked for a company in Texas a few years ago in a non-airconditioned automotive plant in that kind of brutal heat.

You have to pace yourself, moving at around half speed, and have to frequently wipe the sweat off your forehead before it runs down and stings your eyes.

I noticed most of the other employees had "do rags" on their heads which automatically soak up the forehead sweat.

I found it also helps to do any decision making in an air conditioned office as in that heat its very difficult to think straight.

The heat also tends to make employees cranky and do poor work, and they tend to go out to their cars and come back with a loaded gun and wave it about alot when you give them the sack (untill the Sheriff shows up)...........

2009-02-12_0001_NewPoliceCars.jpg

Edited by billy fish
SUNP0003-1.jpg

• Gold FFM

we are in our 40th+ day of over 100....

no rest in sight... and the drought is now getting severe...

Sat 23 - 101°F

Sun 24 - 101°F

Mon 25 - 101°F

Tue 26 - 102°F

Wed 27 - 101°F

Thu 28 - 101°F

Fri 29 - 102°F

Sat 30 - 102°F

Sun 31 - 102°F

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

Booyah!...

post-6978-0-89896400-1311361824_thumb.jp

It's so hot that I stopped by IKEA to get my mom a replacement glass candlestick holder for one that took a dive last week, and I got 30 feet out of the building and in to the parking lot and heard a "tink" as it cracked from the temperature change.

Edited by Moxie

For once, the southeast is less hot than most of the country. Don't get me wrong; it's still dag-nasty hot here...and will get worse...

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

96F here in Boulder Colorado today (dry 23% humidity), not too bad.

I went mountain biking on Sat and Sunday in 96F heat (midday, harsh sun with thin 6000+ft altitude) and that was pretty hot. Almost no shade! A climb on rocky technical terrain that took my friend and I 42min... took somebody else on another day (probably cooler) only 13min!

http://www.strava.com/rides/hall-ranch-973729?sref=1MT1yaWRlX3NoYXJlOzI9ZmFjZWJvb2s7ND03MTYyOQ%253D%253D

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

It's been pretty typical here in Florida with highs in the upper 90's and high humidity. Not nearly as bad as some places but it's still hot...

1995 S4s

Guest WausauLotus

Did a drive Wed. from Wausau, WI to Milwaukee, WI and back.......................registered 101 on the vehicle thermometer. The humidity has been very high (95%) making it feel worse.

I think the earlier comment about 122 was talkiing about the "heat index". The combination of the humidity and the actual temperature is used to calculate a "feels like" misery index.

AC works GREAT....................The four legger (our fabulous Golden Retriever) almost refuses to go outside. Things are getting better this weekend for us, anyway.

Every winter in January, when it's -35F :santa: I tell myself I will NOT complain about summer temps..................but this is pushing it! :thumbdown:

It's been a tad warm here in Indianapolis but the humidity isn't as bad as it was when we were in North Carolina so, with the heat index, it's been about as hot as would get in Southern California in August. Good news is that we haven't had any thunderstorms for a while which the dogs are happy about so it's not too bad. Mind you, we are running the air conditioning more that normal.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

It's been a nice 81F at the beach in Southern California

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

It's been pretty typical here in Florida with highs in the upper 90's and high humidity. Not nearly as bad as some places but it's still hot...

Just keep it like that for when I get out there :thumbsup: Fly out 1st August.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I think the earlier comment about 122 was talkiing about the "heat index". The combination of the humidity and the actual temperature is used to calculate a "feels like" misery index.

post-7866-0-65191500-1311592163_thumb.jp

Here for a good time, not a long time

Owch! You could fry an egg on the bonnet at that temperature!

As for the car thermometer indicating 122 deg, my temp gauge regularly will read 10 deg hotter when first turning it on and after driving it several miles I can get a true reading when stabilized.

Also, here is a report of high temps last week throughout the US (Kansas over 10 deg lower) You have to go back to July 1st and 2nd in AZ to see real 120 deg temps.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/extremes/national-temperature-extremes.htm

Time for true confessions on Facebook, -Just sayin' :innocent:

Edited by comem47

Lou,

You're in the Hill Country, which with the Hebrides is my idea of God's country, so any time you want to trade places just say the word! Austin, Blanco, Comfort, Lost Maples, Kerrville, Fredericksburg, whatever...I'd take 110 there for a whole summer over 90 in NYC.

- Matt

I assume you still have the heatwave then?

We have 20 degrees + this week which is sweltering for us, considering the last 30 days at sub 16 degrees!

In these parts the temps are now running about 10 deg F lower than our local peak (97)and we are starting to get some rain (green is returning to the lawn). The temps are actually typical now. Still glad for AC, but it's not an absolute necessity like before.

Atlanta is expected to budge into the upper 90s this week, but the humidity here has made things feel as bad as everywhere else. It's so humid here that even in the summer heat, we have thick dew on the grass in the morning.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad