Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bi-Xenon Lights - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bi-Xenon Lights

Hi All,

Being s newbie to Lotus and the forum, I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge on tap here! Thanks

I want to ask how you can tell whether an Evora as the standard halogen lights or the Bi-xenon lights?

Are Xenon lights brighter/ whiter / blueish???

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all Evora's are fired with bi-xenon's in reality. I believe there was a problem in the supply chain for the normal lights so no cars were/are fitted with them.

In answer to your question though, you can tell if xenon lights are fitted as when they are turned on they require a large starting voltage so appear to almost flash then dim considerably then take a few seconds to reach full brightness. That and they're ten times better than normal lights!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Is it the case on the Evora that the xenons have headlight washers and the standard lights don't?

Thought I'd read that somewhere but not 100% sure. If it is the case you'd be able to tell even without turning the lights on, other than that it's as Bibs said :)

Have you driven one yet? They are a lot of fun even the non supercharged ones...

Chunky Lover

Thanks for all your input. As some of you may know from my other post, I am new to Lotus and recently purchased a 3 month old Evora S... although I don't get my hands on it till this wednesday!!! Really excited.

The reason I ask the question about the Bixenons is that the salesman from Sytner where I am buying the car from tells me it has the bixenons but doesnt actually mention it on the list of additional options fitted on the car.

As well writing this post, I decided to speak to Christopher Neil Lotus who supplied the car, and they said the Bi-xenons are a cost option, but all cars were pretty much fitted with them when built in the factory. .... they didnt explain why though.

I will certainly check to see if they "flash then dim".

Thanks again

I want to ask how you can tell whether an Evora as the standard halogen lights or the Bi-xenon lights?

OK, you are psychic. I was also wondering about this today.

You up for drinks at the Corinthian Club in October? I'll be over there on your turf and would love to see your ride. Drinks on me.

Bibs, you sure about this standard/supply chain issue and do you have any indication if it'll be standard on MY12s, at least for the S+2s, which is what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Moxie, any evening would be ok after 15th October. Let me know when you are here!

I too thought about a MY12. especially cos I was initially wanting an IPS in Burnt orange and wanted a car with the "147 changes" and possibly a facelift.

but after some informal research, I have come to the conclusion.... that if the Evora is to remain in production till 2017, then its unlikely to have a facelift so soon. plus the deal I got for the Evora S was too good to refuse... and of course I want one NOW! ha ha.

In addition to Bibs remarks I think (but may be wrong) that the Xenons look different. I have never seen a non bi-xenon Evora but every car with proper bi-xenons I have seen, seems to have the hemispherical glass lens in behind the rain covers. You can never see the bulb or reflector like you can on a halogen unit. Like Simon says you have to have a headlamp wash system on any bi-xenon car I believe, although whether Lotus have a different headlamp unit without headlamp wash is open to discussion as so few units sold probably not cost effective to drop the wash system.

The bi-xenons were a £600 extra on the car in the early days irrespective of packs fitted but I think became a standard fit on the S model. Again could be wrong.

Anyway will only take one use at night and you will know, if you have never used them before! The difference is like night and day - literally! :lol:

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Moxie, any evening would be ok after 15th October. Let me know when you are here!

Excellent! That's likely because I can't leave for the UK until after October 10 or 11 and then need to spend about a week in England before heading up to Glasgow to visit my mom.

Al, are you saying the bi-Xenons are actually road-clearing lasers? I could use those.

Watched your car on DVD last night, Bibs. It's a looker. I assume you have a huge framed print of that shot of it in the Highlands? Great photo!

Isn't the Canyon Red press car in the documentary yours? And page 162 of the book? (I just realized the one in the Highlands is Ardent Red.)

In the beginning the LE (launch edition) cars had Bi Xenon's fitted. When you were able to order a customer spec car supposedly after launch edition cars "dried up" (they never really did, so the customer specced cars could be ordered earlier than the original 400 LE cars were sold) Halogen lights were standard and Bi Xenon's were a £500 ish optional extra. However as Bibs mentioned in an earlier post a problem existed in the supply chain ( I think the supplier of the standard halogen units went belly up) and therefore only Bi Xenons could be specced. That was certainly the case when I ordered my car in January 2010. I was always going to spec Bi Xenon's anyway.

I think the standard headlights were specced with washers but they are a legal rquirement anyway with Xenon's.

Bibs, My washers activate every 10 cycles.

Michael, I hope you enjoy your S and we see you along at our LEGS meetings, I have now added you to the mass PM list.

You should also make contact with Craig Montcrieff (Monty) our very very friendly service manager at Murray Motors in Edinburgh who will take great care of your car when it needs any work done on it.

Thanks for that brian. I have been in touch with Craig already. In fact he took me out for my first Evora test drive. He has been really helpful

Hope to see some of you in future LEGS meetings!!!