Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4 Number Plate Lamp Alternative Required - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4 Number Plate Lamp Alternative Required

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Derek,

I had a broken courtesy light under the bonnet of my S4. Once I unclipped it, I recognised it as absolutely the same as the courtesy lights used in Holden Commodores here in Australia (the model range that matched mine was the VT~VZ commodores). I am quite sure if you went to a GM outlet (I think that's Vauxhall if you're in the UK) and they should be able to match the part. In fact, if I know Holden, the courtesy lights and tailplate lights on the Monaro are probably the same as well.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I reread my post Derek. I should have said that I seem to recall the GM number plate units as being screw in gasketed deals like on my S4. (I went out and looked)

I am sure the plate lamps are the same as our old holden. Actually, I can check tomorrow as there are heaps of holdens in the carpark at work. Give me a day.

Michael

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Report.

Bummer. All of the ones I looked at were clip-in other than one set which were gasketed screw-ins but they were longer and narrower than the ones in the S4. You could lengthen the holes to fit these, but then you may end up with a void due to the width of the hole being wider.

I don't think the clip-ins are an option due to the body shell thickness.

Sorry, I can't be of more help, but I would say go into a Vauxhall dealership and see if they can recognise the part. The courtesy lights are GM so I reckon the plate lights are as well.

I need to look for a pair also as I noticed mine have corroded and fell out! Even though you cant see them hanging out and they work ill still change them.. If I have any luck ill post it

Are there no part numbers on the units?

It'll be a GM part as above jsut need to work out what it fits!

Omega seems to have beent he parts bin of choice for most of it, probably the one nearest the Vauxhall factory door...

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Try Vauxhall rather than GM.

Cavalier, Astras, Omega etc of the same era

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM

I'll drag the esprit out on the weekend and see if I can find a car dealers that has their spare parts dept open and I'll show them. I'll see if I can get them identified. I'm betting they're GM.

It looks like an Exige S2 lamp can be used as a replacement. The loom terminals need changing to suit the 6.3mm blades the lamp has (flags are probably best) and you may find the screw holes need slight repair if damaged like mine from the original rusted self tappers.

• 4 months later...

Well, after a little bit of digging vap is the company that made the lights. They were a uk company manufacturing in the 1980's and unsuprisingly they dont seem to exist anymore.from what I can gather they made more universal fitment items than vehicle specific...hence the no stock left and no cross reference that I can find. Its an open book to see wat you can get to fit me thinks :)

Why not take a picture & upload it ? You never know your luck, someone may recognise it, that's what the forum is for. thumbup.gif

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

to confuse you all a little more -

Yes Michael (ramjet) , the Esprit footwell lights are the same units as on GM cars [there even is a GM trade mark on it] ..and even Ford-labeled interiour lamps (Scorpio MK2 in my case) fit dimensionally/conceptionally as replacement for the footwell lamps in the S4s/ V8 (Ford does have of course a little difference in the surface structure, I have mentioned this some time ago here in TLF in a DIY story)

The licence plate lihts from this mentioned "long time gone" UK company are also often referred as "RollsRoyce" lights ..think the same part was used there on the cars in the past. So why not google there in those RR-boards for numbers/references ?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Well, ivr searched through images and dimensions of god knows how many different lights, from many manufacturers of all sorts of ages to try and find not necassarily the exact light, but one that fits within the dimensions, using the same screw holes to mount and hopefully to have the angled face on it to shine on the number plate, not just downwards...ive ordered a pair from a chap down south that has the same mounting hole dimensions, but the external dimensions are apparently a mm or two larger...so when the arrive in the next few days hopefully I can get them fitted and give my verdict here...26 quid delivered btw...so watch this space....

Nothings wrong with them! Its nice to have options...and here it is.lamp arrived today, a hella unit. With half a millimeter filed off one edge of the hole in the bodywork, the light fitted perfectly. Mounting holes lined up. And it looks great. Not that you can see them recessed up above the number plate..they dont stick out any more than the originals either and theyre angled to shine on the plate. Best of all, from the part number I believe theyre the ones used on elan s3 and s4 models too! And apparantly on some caravans...im checking the cross reference part number on monday to make sure as theyre on 9 quid each from a caravan place online if they are...

• Gold FFM

Was there meant to be a pic with your post Darren?