Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel pipes / Lines - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel pipes / Lines

Doulou

Gent's

Can anyone help? I have what can only be described as a dent in the hard fuel line that runs from the filter to the rail. Lotus no longer have this part available and i'm finding it difficult to find a suitable replacement. I really don't want to go down the road of braided pipes, so I was wondering if anyone know's the best way forward.

Ta very much

Paulpost-2866-0-97590900-1315994385.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest your better off changing them for rubber braided. Those hard plastic pipes I find are old and not all that good. And it would be a lot cheaper too. You cant remove them without cutting them, as they are heat shrinked on to give a tight fit. Basically more trouble than theyre worth!

Im sure ive still got your email address somewhere paul to detail anythin you want..but basically off the top of ky head I think those lines are 8mm internal diameter, id like to double check with what ive got left over from doing mine but that wouldnt be till the weekend im afraid as im no where near the car! You can get it from any car parts place, sold by the meter length. Youll need a couple of little hose clips to go with it too, basically the cost should be about 7 or8 quid and half hour labour. Tops! Dead simple job to do with a stanley blade and screw driver..

Hi Paul ,

i do not no where in the world you are based , but i'm pretty sure i have a perfect standard replacement part in all the bits that came off mine. let me know details and if interested and i will search through my parts stock.

Dave.

thanks guys - Dave, the pipe in question is the one that runs from the fuel filter to the fuel rail, it has a loop in it if that makes sense. Running from the filter the pipe then loops in a circle then continues then a 90 degree bend to the rail. Hope this makes sense????

Darren - will catch up at the weekend if that's ok?

Thanks

Hi Paul, Just been through my old parts and found the exact pipe you are after, unfortunately the fittings on the ends have been removed, shame because pipe was perfect otherwise. looks like you are back to plan ' B ' . braided pipe will do the job fine. sorry to get your hopes up..

Dave.

How's this for a thought!!

As my pipe is dented quite close to the fuel inlet, would it be possible to cut the pipe just before the dent remove that piece then reconnect the remaining good pipe. It looks to me like there is plenty of spare, even allowing for engine movement. If this would be possible what would be the best way of heat shrinking it?

Paul

I also had the same thought before replacing mine...i did try it and to be honest it was more trouble than its worth...and the last thing you want is for it to pop off under pressure spraying fuel all over a very hot engine bay...you can imagine what would happen....no no no..replace!

Not a good idea to have connections in a fuel pipe ,minimum amount of joints necessary, if one of those connections fail you have a nice fine mist of fuel under pressure ,and probaly a visit from the fire brigade. Go down the route of proper spec fuel line with a descent set of clamps,if your fuel line is as you say crimped you are already rolling the dice.

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

No don't misunderstand me, i wouldn't join two parts of the pipe together, but I have been researching how to re-connect the existing pipe (just slightly cut down beyond crimp) to the fuel rail. I understand that boiling water is used to soften the pipe it's then pushed on to the barbed connector. Once the pipe has cooled and moulded itself to the barb there's no way the pipe is coming off again - apparently!

:huh:

How about softening the pipe with either boiling water or a hot air gun (make sure you've depressurised the pipe first) and then moulding the pipe back to the correct shape using the semi circular sections of the jaws of a pair of pliers ??

Cheers,

John W

I have no idea how the crease happened, i've had the car coming up to 12 months now and it was there when I bought her. My guess is that, at some point the removing of the engine cover has caught the pipe, and as the cover was pulled forward this in turn pulled the pipe with it forcing the crease. I really want to keep the car as original as possible and that's why i'm looking at this from all angles rather than just replacing with new hose and unattractive clips. Looking at the positioning of the pipes last night i'm struggling to think of a way of heating the pipe with boiling water, the area is just to tight. The heat gun isn't a bad idea but i think I could cause more damage, really boiling water is the way forward.

Paul

Paul, seriously ive tried both efforts firstly too...its not worth it. The boiling water softened the pipe butvit cooled too fast out of the water to be pliable and difficult to refit, resulting in an insecure fit...the heat gun even on tue coolest setting and at a distance made the pipe melt and distort.basically its really not. Worth it. Ive tried and I wouldnt like to trust it if it did. Fit back on even

I take your point Darren, do you know the thread type and size of the two screw in connectors going in to the inlet? I'm not sure of the correct name but the connectors with the barb's too the right of my picture with the fuel pipe pushed on to? :huh: