Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Stupid MOT fail - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Stupid MOT fail

Ok i never even knew they looked at this, but My S4s failed it's MOT on the nearside front wheel rubbing the wheel arch when the steering is on full lock.

I have the right size tyres on the origional OZ wheels so how can this have happened? anyone got any thoughts, as I am scrathing myhead on this one.

Thanks

Twitter @radioRedwards

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the doubly annoying thing is that this is the first time its done it...all the other MOTs I have had have sailed through. I agree, an adjuster would be an obvious thing.

Have you got the right size tyres on the car? Any spacers?

no. absolutely standard setup.

Twitter @radioRedwards

Could be spring sag, changing the ride height, bringing the tires closer to the wheel well.

I was playing with my new adjustable suspension, and my first tried were too low in the front and caused extreme rubbing when turning the wheel and over bumps.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi,

I had this on a previous car & it turned out to be the tracking, this was out cuasing the tyre to catch on one side.

If the clearance is close anyway, the tracking can move the wheel just that little bit closer.

Worth a check.

Regards, Phil.

Mine touches everso slightly too at the rear. Standard springs and shocks, but all suspension is new. Also my geometry has. Been set up. But as I dont drive around on full lock I dont see it a problem. Ive got standard rims and correct tyres for the s4 too. I can understand about spring sag causing it, but mine rubs in exactly the half way, so only just tye very edge of the back of the tyre when on lock, not the front though.my chassis hasnt recieved any damage at all. Im thinking either its just the nature of a hand built car...the body could be mounted fractionally out? ..or as mentioned for some reason my steering rack allows a little more turn on the lock...

Hi,

I had this on a previous car & it turned out to be the tracking, this was out cuasing the tyre to catch on one side.

If the clearance is close anyway, the tracking can move the wheel just that little bit closer.

Worth a check.

Regards, Phil.

And the winner is.......Phil!

Tracking it was. MOT now passed. Kerching.

As ever this is what makes TLF great. Shared knowledge and experience. Love you all :unworthy:

Twitter @radioRedwards

Glad to help :thumbup:

I know some kit cars makers advise the use of jubilee clips on the steering rack to limit the lock so there are no issues with tyres catching bodywork & aparently this will satisfy an MOT test ?

Totally agree about forums, I've learnt a huge amount about my S4S on here & various other sites in the last few months.

Hats off to all those clever people who set these forums up & allow us all to keep our cars running :unworthy:

Phil.