Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Thermostat Replacement - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Thermostat Replacement

Roger 912

I need to put thermostats in both my 84 green Esprit Turbo and also my 89 Excel SE. Both of these run cool and I am sure that someone has removed the thermostats.

I am wondering what other vehicle uses these items as I do not want to have to import specialized ones if possible.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that in the parts manual? Only Got the one for the Stevens models... Isn't there one on this forum? Under the full members section?

No wonder they are missing from two of my cars!!

I will contact Paul Matty for a price, just out of interest. Better get the smelling salts to hand.

Check this link, you will find x-ref to other cars http://www.ebay.com/itm/120584840035?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

and check this http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=Lotus+esprit&_kw=thermostat&_sop=16

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

There is a stock 82c, there is also a 74c (for warmer climates) both available from SJ Sportscars. My 74c came with no air bleed hole, I drilled one 1/8th" I seem to recall. Get a gasket too.

Remember mine is an 88, so I don't gaurentee they're identicle.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 10 years later...

John,

Has that Stant thermostat given you any problems while you have had your car?- I like that it is made of stainless steel.  Motorad makes a similar one that if it fails, it opens in the full open position, which would avert the radiator being cut off from the cooling process - checking dimensions on that one.

Thanks

Paul.

For the Stant 13398 Thermostat, the following cars were listed under their catalog:

1982-1984 Jaguar Vanden Plas

1982 Jaguar XJ6

1994-1995 Jaguar XJ12

1994-1995 Jaguar XJS v12

1985 Jaguar XJS all

1972-1978 Mazda RX3

1974-1978 Mazda RX4

1979-1988 Mazda RX7

1971-1973 Triumph Stag

1975-1981 Triumph TR7

These are all classified as Reverse Poppet

Now the MotoRad thermostat No. 2033180 is a high flow thermostat made of stainless steel.  I measured my thermostat I had in my S4s previously (a JAE one made by Wahler that appears to be made of brass and copper), and it has the same bypass flange diameter of 1.14 in., the same sealing flange dia of 2.12", and  1.27" bypass length from sealing flange to bypass flange.  This thermostat cross references to the Mazda RX-7 and Jags, and claims 50% better water flow due to larger openings and also has the jiggle valve.

https://motorad.com/motorad-catalog/parts-locator/part/?pid=2033-180

I can't seem to find the height from the sealing flange upwards and the Lotus upper thermostat housing is constricted in that regard, with a low ceiling due to having the timing belt in the way, but if there is not any obstruction and it fits underneath, I would assume this will lead to quicker warm-up and better coolant stability because more coolant is carrying heat away at the radiator once the thermostat opens.  I ordered it today as what I saw with my old Wahler opening very slowly at over 200 on the stove left me concerned.  I'll report back if it can clear the thermostat cover pipe.

• Gold FFM

@Paul93Lotus

Hi mate. You have revived a ten year old thread.

You might be better posting you second post above into the cross reference section in its own topic.

I presume the options in the list are for the Esprit only?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yes, I know - thank you. It was intentional - more directed to MrDangerUS (US) (post above mine) who is still active to see if the thermostat he used ten years ago worked out for him or if it gave him problems.  If I find his or the one I have on order does work I will post in cross reference area.  I have had two of the Wahler thermostats give me trouble so looking for a more modern replacement and if the one I ordered is higher flow and clears the thermostat upper housing, it could resolve the tendency of the "unique to Lotus" thermostat to run in the high temp range.

If you look at my posting history I have contributed a lot to the cross-reference posts in the past and have typically posted there.