Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rattle at 4000rpm - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Rattle at 4000rpm

jfitz981

Hi Everyone,

Hope all has been well! I have been trying to figure out where this annoying rattle is coming from....it sounds metallic. I am thinking it is coming from somewhere around the shifter...at least that is what it sounds like...other times it sounds like it could be coming from the dash...but I am thinking it is somewhere in the center of the car. This is driving me nuts..lol.

I cannot complain, my Esprit has been an excellent car and to simply have an annoying rattle is not that bad in the big scheme of things.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks

Jason

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Does it disappear if you lift the reverse collar?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Interesting thought, Sparky.

Important safety tip, Jason: do not select reverse gear at 4000 RPM.biggrin.png

Some metallic "buzzing" has been attributed to areas of the heat shielding on Esprits. Might be worth a look, but it generally occurs at much lower RPMs.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

Hehehe. There's a common issue with a 'dry' gearstick tube that can cause an annoying rattle. Done quite a few of those.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Method of last resort: Spray the entire engine bay with home roof ceiling expandable acoustic foam.

Just kidding.

Hope you get it sorted soon, Jason. Let us know the results.gathering.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Hehehe. There's a common issue with a 'dry' gearstick tube that can cause an annoying rattle. Done quite a few of those.

It was the prop shaft right ! :devil:

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Jason,

Perhaps it's a loose shifter mechanism. Or the thin sheet metal plate that covers the shifter opening, or a loose master shift unit.......Or............Or.............Or.................The bonnet open/close rod if not fully engaged in closed position rattles in my car if I've worked under the bonnet and forgotten to close the bonnet. Or perhaps you've just blown a speaker...Lol! Sorry, couldn't resist!

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Haha...I have some fresh ideas now on where to look...I am glad I made some upgrades in the garage cause it looks like I will be spending some time in there.

Much appreciated. I will keep everyone posted.

J

• Gold FFM

What are you doing at 4,000rpm? Redline is way higher than that.

This is sort of like a fishtailing trailer. Put your foot down and drive right through it!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)