Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Castle Combe - 26th May - Page 4 - Trackdays - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Castle Combe - 26th May

TLF News

Hi - I'm new to this forum but have been going to Castle Combe on the Club Lotus track day for many years.

Back home earlier today & what a great time I had yesterday. The track was in super condition, but if anything it was too hot, & I felt that my tyres were going off towards the end of the day. It makes such a nice change to go on a track day where everybody is so polite.

I did six sessions (3 on my own & 3 with passengers) & it was super fun mixing my old 65 Elan into the far more modern Lotuses on track. Thanks to all for making it a such an enjoyable day.

Dave M.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yes...that was Dave! (Good to see you here matey). Well worth a passenger spot in Dave's Elan if you get the chance. The four wheel drift around Quarry is quite a different experience to my attempts at carving around.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Popped in early afternoon on my way to Wales, nice to see familiar faces again, and a welcome back for some guys I've not seen for a while, nice Aston GKP! Sorry to miss Mark B, guess I got there to late as I arrived two hours after I'd normally have packed up and gone.

A castle combe Lotus day with no rain?

:huh:

Took a couple of photographs:

DSC05014.jpg

DSC05012.jpg

Red old Elan with the silver hard top, yes that's me! Lots of smiles all round (Mike knows me very well)

Lots of tyre left, though the tread had "picked up" quite a bit by the end. That's Falken standard road tyres, & I am very impressed with them. I've been sent a great pic taken from the rear showing a massive amount of tyre wall deflection (with a fat Greek passenger loading up up the n/s suspension) but the tyre was hanging on in a very controllable fashion.

As I said, I'm new to this forum, but I'll try to get a pic posted.

Dave M.

Edited to add pics - look at the tyre wall deflection on the front n/s tyre! Pic 3 - got the front o/s wheel off the ground?

Lotus_260512_1476.jpg

Lotus_260512_1489.jpg

DaveCombe1.jpg

Edited by Maulden7

looks like you were having fun!

Good to hear Sue's esprit just needed an adjustment, and I hope Simon's S3 made it back into london with a single fan hotwired.

The parade lap was fun for a bit, and made me kind of wish that I had shelled out for a lid and a trackday session, but I think I'm too much of a coward, and the car is wet sumped.

I think a proper lotus track slag might be a better idea than killing the clutch/brakes/tyres/crank/ego on my road toy.

Had a super day out yesterday followed up with a great day at Motorsport at the Palace (Crystal Palace sprint). Good to see a couple of Loti giving it plenty at the sprint!

Only bummer was the arrival of a Kent police speeding who was driving enquiry.... :-(

who's VW beetle is that then :shuriken:

The best that you have is a complement indeed. Many thanks.

:unworthy:

Had a lovely drive this weekend, went from CC down to Wales and then came back today. Have not owned a car with working aircon since 1997 (Esprit S3, Esprit SE had broken aircon, Elise had none, first 911 had none) and I must say it made a HUGE difference in how much I enjoyed driving in the sun. I hate being hot.

Rock solid, 3.6 litres of aircooled engine purring through hundreds of miles effortlessly, accelerating fast lag free and silk smooth, burbley overrun, icy cold cabin, and the most comfortable seats I've ever had.

Walking round Castle Combe I do miss my Lotus's, Interestingly I miss the S1 Elise most of all. I was chatting to Martyn and despite owning Esprits for ten years, I think the Elise S1 will be the Lotus I remember and miss the most, it's the last car Lotus made I'd really want to own. Vicki misses it more than me. I'd still own it but I can't/don't want to/don't have room to/ own more than one car. And besides, when you have owned all the ones you wanted to, committing to only buying one brand forever is pretty mindless...

Hand on heart, my ideal Lotus is an S1 Elise, non VVC,. And I really enjoyed seeing so many again yesterday. Just need Vicki to buy herself one!

:)

Thanks Nige....Lionel's looking good in those. And yes please Gary/Chris I'd love to see the others you got. Either email, or maybe best I bring a disk up with the car when I come up for its annual fettle and you can put them on CD for me.

Sadly the car started making a bad rumbling noise after a while and its definitely getting worse - could feel it through the throttle pedal, steering wheel and seat on the way home and it also sounds a bit laboured. Overall, its not happy! B****r!

On the other hand it did get me home quite quickly which is more than can be said for the "L" reg Norfolk Mustard Esprit I saw on the hard shoulder of the M4 westbound soon after I left. Felt a complete B'****d not stopping, but apart from beying of no practical use myself, I was a bit concerned about Lionel making thre trip so wanted to keep going. Hope you got going again and home safe whoever you are - and apologies!

Great to see all who made it - not at all a bad turn out, although I agree with Alan P it wasn't just the usual suspects this year but still lots of lovely machinery. Track sessions were ominously underpopulated. Ideal for those of us taking part, but I do worry that with such a low demand for track action, Alan M may end up having to up his prices even more, or worse still stop running the day. I do hope not, that was my 20th straight year and it still gives me a buzz when I get some of those corners spot on - shame I cant do it more consistently!

Just clean the engine and all problems will go!

Just clean the engine and all problems will go!

Ho ho - if only it was that simple! I dont use my TE much Chris, but certainly enough that keeping it as clean as yours is not an option. I'll just keep staring at yours to see what might have been....and continue enjoying mine from behind the wheel! Spoil yourself next year and take yours around at full chat....

:driving:

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Mike

Chris's won't be there if there is a cloud in the sky.. :harhar:

Never missed a meet in 20 years mate!!

Cliff, the Bellringer ale at the White Hart was superb!!! you missed a great weekend mate.. :wine:

Edited by esprit22